(800) 973-1540

Are there seizure medications out there that are as effective as Depakote?

7 answers | Last updated: Feb 05, 2015
tinkerbella asked...

My husband is 39 and has seizures. He is on 2500mg of Depakote an I was wondering if there was a medicine that will be as effective as that medication so that we can cut down on the mgs.

Answers
raven1 answered...

Has you'r husband tried carbopanzipine, dilantin or keppra? I am 52 and have Grand Mal seizures and take these daily.I have diazepen rectal gel for seizures lasting more than 2mins. or repeting at several times over a given period. Atavan is also calming and may help.

indianaqueen answered...

Always ask doctors first, but I have seizures and they tried just about every pill I thought there was, Depakote was one but it didn't do well so not on it any more, I am taking dilantin, vimpat 200 mg tabs and zonegram 800 mg daily which, is finally controlling my seizures for the first time in almost 30 years. Ask your doctor

64px

I too have been on about ever medication out there. I am 38 currently on Depakote 500mgX2 as well as Lamictol 200X2...(These are not supposed to be taken together, I still have breakthroughs, I overdose at least once a week and have slight acne all over my shoulders and front of my body) At first it seemed(s) to be working but the more "WEIGHT" I gain seems as if the dose needs to go up to compensate for the gain. I have gained more than 30 lbs and rising since July when I started it. I personally have never heard of Depakote mg being lowered but only increased. My nero tells me there are other medications that will work like Depakote. I will inquire on the 27th. I wish you luck in finding another drug for your husband or some kind of medium that works for him

sargesam answered...

HEY I suffer with complex partial seizures and depakote am nd lamictal didnt work for me either then a new doctor turned me on to vimpat which now seem to be workin it's been almost 6 months since I had ( knock on wood )

Patrwi001 answered...

My husband is 43 years old & we have been married 21 years & lived together 23. He was on depakote 2000 MG daily, but they wanted to change it. He has tried every drug out there. Keppra did nothing but cause more issues for him & they added more pills to try to balance him out which caused him to lose 155 lbs & become very depressed. After he attempted suicide a doctor came in and took him off everything & put him on vimpat. It's an expensive drug, but has worked for him. Not as good as Depakote but it's working. Once a month he has seizures now & has multi grand malls when he does. Not sure Vimpat is the answer but until we can find a doctor that will do something or have answers vimpat will have to do. We gave heard good & bad about vimpat & he's been on it a year & a half...but I believe it depends on the person the area if the seizures, what supporting med you have w/it & the support the person has taking it. The more stresses & worried I see my husband or depressed I know no meds will help him. I hope & pray you find your answers. I believe we all are searching.

Lori grigg answered...

I am very fortunate I live with epilepsy I do take medication there's a new one that came out called on fee and that his stop my seizuresanyone with seizures out there call the epilepsy foundation and talk to them about a new drug called on fie it is really help me