Is there an adult crib that will prevent my father from getting out of bed and reinjuring his broken hip?

12 answers | Last updated: Nov 22, 2016
Tpburns asked...

My dad is 100 years old and has dementia. He broke his hip, and underwent hip replacement. The problem is every twenty minutes or so, he tries to walk, forgetting he has a broken hip. Is there an adult crib that will prevent him from getting out of bed?


Expert Answers

Laura Cheney, a physical therapist who specializes in geriatrics, graduated with honors from the University of California at San Francisco in 2000. She loves her job working as the sole physical therapist at a premier life-care facility in San Francisco. She has written articles and lectured extensively on fall prevention and other issues relevant to the aging experience. As a registered yoga teacher, she teaches yoga, meditation, and other mindfulness techniques to seniors -- helping them expand their repertoire for coping with stress, pain, and illness in the later years.

I empathize with your situation. It's very difficult to keep someone safe who has good physical mobility but poor cognition. There are different kinds of "restraints" that can help to keep your dad safe, that are commonly used in medical settings. Keep in mind, however, that there are a lot of legal issues around using restraints and they are highly regulated due to the risk of injury to the patient. Using them can be considered elder abuse if you don't do so with a physician's order. In fact, in the United States the law states that most involuntary restraints can only be used with a physician's order. If your dad is living at home I would ask his doctor about your options. If he’s in a skilled nursing facility it is best to speak with the nursing director. Just to give you an idea, restraints that can be used while the patient is in bed range from the use of bedrails to prevent them from rolling out of bed, to "posey vests" which are soft vests that can be tied to a chair or bed rail. In a wheelchair, a lap belt or lap tray can be used to keep the patient from getting up out of the wheelchair and injuring themselves. There are options available to help keep your dad safe. I advise that you speak to the physician. He or she can prescribe the safest type of restraint and make sure you are acting within the law.

Community Answers

Bobkcar answered...

I have a good freind with a similar problem. Did you find anything that was helful?

Mommys answered...

There are no restrictions on cribs. As part of our business that serves diapering needs for babies through adults, we have been researching cribs. I got a youth size adult crib. About 6 months ago I put my tester and husband into it. At first it was at the foot of my bed but that interfered with the television and my personal time. So I moved him into the nursery. Now every night about a quarter to 8 I diaper the baby and put him in his crib and then I diaper my husband and put him in his crib. It has an acrylic "bubble" top. Once closed he can't get out from the inside. He has tried. Lights out at 8. Of course I have a baby monitor so I can listen to them. At 8 am I get them both out of their cribs, change their diapers  and feed them breakfast. I would think this kind of crib would be perfect for your situation. You may not even need the top but it's probably a good idea just to prevent a fall. The latch is such that a parent can open it from the outside but even an adult with lots of dexterity can't open it. You will probably also need to get your father back in diapers because being closed in accidents are likely.

Fel answered...

Hello, I would be intrested in contacting you regarding one of these cribs, for simular reasons.

Windsorbob answered...

Mommys - do you have a website for your business?  I am looking for cloth diapers for a bedwetting adult.  Thanks.

Abdldream answered...

Hi there. Adult Cloth diapers can be found here : Thanks. Helena.

Orien2 answered...

we got a bed rail like on hospital beds it works just fine mostly. They sell them at medical stores or see about getting a hospital to sell you a bed they don't want no more. If you could get any old hospital be that's got rails and you can use those things to prevent him from hurting himself then you gotta install some kind of thing to warn you when the man gotta use the bathroom. An intercom device or baby monitor works. I got our system at radio shack. I'm not a radio shack ad bot I just got our system there. So you can help him when he needs to use the lav. It must be awful for him. Men hate being sick.

Mommys-baby-pants answered...

Hi all and windsor bob. I couldn't get logged back in for some reason and had to make another membership. Yes I do have a website which is specifically for adults in diapers. We sell prefold birdseye cloth diapers, plastic pants, pins, and more.


Specter answered...

As a 100% disabled veteran with Multiple Sclerosis, incontinence, and restless sleeping problems I can tell you a crib has sure helped me. And yes there are serious legal problems that can be associated with restricting an adult. In my case I fall out of bed alot while sleeping and I live alone.

Physical restraints do have to be prescribed!! The restraints must also be able to be released easily by caregiver in event of emergency. In the case of living alone the restraints now not only have to restraint but be able to be releasable by the patient in event of emergency.

In my case VA provided a hospital bed with the standard hospital rails that pull up. The bed railings do prevent falling out of most patients. Problem in my case hospital railings were horizontal!!@ When I got restless at night I would get caught up in the railing and dislocate a shoulder, leg, or hip. After this happened a few times the VA ordered a crib from Hard Mfg in NY ( ). The crib has vertical railings like your normal baby crib and does prevent my fall outs. The company can also custom make to fit most situation. The crib works fine and is very easy to open by the adult care giver by simply squeezing the railing release on the bottom of the railing. For the patient that lives alone reaching the release is a bit trickier but can be done by reaching through the railings or the release can be ordered & installed on the inside. To prevent the patient from reaching the release crib bumpers can be ordered. The bumpers are 1" thick 12 - 14" high. A mesh netting could also be used.

The crib looks like a stainless steel animal cage but it does work. I no longer have the crib (I didn't like sleeping in a steel cage). But I had a friend custom build a wooden crib out of Black Walnut. The new crib is a Twin XXL size with the same function as the one provided by the VA. I am 6'1" tall and easily fit this crib and the railings extend to about 5' over the top of the mattress. When the railing is up I could certainly say nobody is easily ever going to get out of it. The railing also goes to un extended position just at 14" above the mattress and it bumpers.

My friend build the crib I currently have and it is heirloom quality in both material and workmanship. He build and sold it to me for $1,000. If you buy one from a manufacturer such as Hard, Simmons, or other be prepared for the sticker shock as the start at $3,900

Starman answered...

i have aproblem see i fall out of bed a lot, ilive on my own, but cannot afford the £.1500 quoted by a company in try and solve problem .can any body help me .

Specter answered...

The amount you quoted converts to $2,414 USD for "a company in UK to try and solve your problem". I assume that your located in UK?? You have seen above that the US laws restricting patients to beds can greatly affect your options. I do not know what they UK laws are but I can only assume that they are similiar to the laws in the US.

When you say they quoted that amount to "to try and solve your problem"!!!! What exactly we're they proposing for options to solve your problem for that amount of money?? Do you have a doctor's order for bed restrictions or restraints?? if you have a doctor's order then I would ask your insurance or health care provider what is available. Without a doctor's order your options are limited to your wallet

There are some health care manufacturers here in the US that provide/sell patient restraints and restrictive beds/cribs. What they provide/sell must be within the current laws. I can only assume UK has similiar laws.

Since you live on your own those restraints to keep you from falling out of bed must also allow you escape in the event of emergencies.

Gaivs avgvstvs answered...

I suggest Kaiserbetten, a German company now distributing in the United States. I'm also a veteran with MS, though in my case I had to buy it myself as the Dallas VA regional office is the most corrupt inefficient organization sponsored by the Federal Government in the entire state of Texas.

I ordered my unit custom from Germany which shoot up the price considerably, but then its also made some very miserable days liveable, and unlike that piece of Invacare crap they bought for me the first time I've NEVER had issues with slipping out or having my high center of gravity flip me over the rails.

Now the VA is "considering" my doctors prescription of a new push chair to replace my old one since I can't sit up with a tilt and recline system anymore. The chair has actually already been prescribed for over a half year now, it's just that the bigwigs here get bonus's based on the amount left in their accounts at the end of October, and they DO like their bonus'.