How do I know if my achilles tendon is fully healed?

Buddybob asked...

2years ago I was lifting a farm plow and it cut my achilles tendon almost completely in half. At the hospital the Doctor cleaned and stiched up a "temporary fix till I could get to a specialist". Ten trips to said specialist brought no action. He just looked and touched and said it's best to let it be. Only recomendation was to exercise my foot gently. I wore a boot for months and after 6 months I was on my own. Well the tendon has attached itself to the outer skin and pulls the skin tight when I raise the front of my foot. It doesn't hurt but is uncomfortable and prevents me from going back to my exercise that I so enjoyed. The fear of it snapping from stepping in a hole while jogging has prevented me from exercising and unfortunately I have gained 40 pounds and climbing. The big question is what can I do? I don't know if it has grown back together or what? My health condition is progressively worse without the exercise. My resting heart rate 2 years ago was 46 now it's 70 - no longeviety in this picture and I need it as I have a 9 year old son. I'm 68 and decent health - any suggestions? Thanks Bob

Since your injury is causing you to not be able to exercise as you would like, I would try and get a second opinion from another doctor to see if there is something that can be done to repair your tendon. Perhaps you could try a sports medicine specialist? From reading your letter, it sounds as if this injury will require major surgery, and there may be a chance it will never quite heal to how it was before, which is why this specialist is reluctant to do anything. However, I think it is worth looking in to. Good Luck!