Is it normal to feel tightness, aches, and pains after a heart attack?

6 answers | Last updated: May 10, 2017
Bpee asked...

I am two weeks from recovering from a heart attack. Is it normal to feel tightness, excessive gas and moving aches and pain? I was told after the attack my arteries are clear and open, and that these things could be an anxiety response. It seems like I am super sensitive to my body's every ping!

Carolyn Strimike, N.P. and Margie Latrella, N.P. are cardiac nurse practitioners specializing in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. They have over 40 years of nursing experience in Cardiology between them. The main goal of their work is to counsel, motivate and empower women to adopt healthy lifestyle choices.

First of all we are glad that you were given a good report that your arteries are open after your heart attack. Typically if there are no blockages in your hearts blood vessels you should not be experiencing any aches or pains after a heart attack. If you had a balloon or stent procedure sometimes people experience chest muscle aches post procedure. Muscle aches could also be a side effect of certain medications that are used after a heart attack. Everyone is different and everyone responds differently but we would recommend you discuss these symptoms with your healthcare provider. Never ignore any symptoms - your body is trying to tell you something - either it is healing normally or there is something that may need attention.

Elizgreene answered...

It's been nearly ten years, and I still get anxious if anything in the chest area feels odd or uncomfortable - even if it is just sore muscles. Did you have surgery? I remember as the feeling started coming back after surgery - things in my chest were uncomfortable.

Carolyn and Margie are completely right - you should talk with your doctor. Since my surgery I've placed many calls, had several office visits and even two trips to the ER due to chest discomfort - even though I was pretty sure none of it was another heart attack. Being told it is indigestion or muscle spasms is good news!

I remember how scary it was right after the heart attack - your heart seems to beat so loudly and every little twinge makes you worried. It does get better, things will calm down soon.

Hang in there!

Brickert answered...

I've been having the same sym. as before you have a heart attack I don;t have health care what should I do

Brighty answered...

I had a heart attack onSunday and the same with me I am 36 years old, no blockages, EKG normal, blood culture normal, and I am in constant chest pain. They have no answers but I'm am scheduled of an eps test for electrophysiology. Can Anyone with similar situation please help me?

Pteyze answered...

So happy to have read this. About 4 weeks after my heart attack , I began having pains in one side, as if I had pulled a muscle. It at times went to my back, but will be seeing my doctor next week. I'm relieved to hear it might be my bodies reaction to my stent

Joe55 answered...

Sorry but " Typically if there are no blockages in your hearts blood vessels you should not be experiencing any aches or pains after a heart attack" is wrong. You may experience some aches and possibly even pains for a variety of reasons. Obviously if you experience frequent and/or more than the mildest of pains you should consult your doctor ASAP, even go to ER if they are severe enough. Anyway, some aches and (mild) pains, cramps soreness etc are not uncommon for some time after a heart attack. It can be simply part of the healing process, also some meds can cause these. As others have said, above all consult your doctor.....and if you feel unsure about their answers or attitude, do not hesitate to get a second opinion (this is true of ANY medical situation actually). g/l