Is it normal to feel tightness, aches, and pains after a heart attack?

Bpee asked...

I am two weeks from recovering from a heart attack. Is it normal to feel tightness, excessive gas and moving aches and pain? I was told after the attack my arteries are clear and open, and that these things could be an anxiety response. It seems like I am super sensitive to my body's every ping!

Carolyn Strimike, N.P. and Margie Latrella, N.P. are cardiac nurse practitioners specializing in the prevention of heart disease and stroke. They have over 40 years of nursing experience in Cardiology between them. The main goal of their work is to counsel, motivate and empower women to adopt healthy lifestyle choices.

First of all we are glad that you were given a good report that your arteries are open after your heart attack. Typically if there are no blockages in your hearts blood vessels you should not be experiencing any aches or pains after a heart attack. If you had a balloon or stent procedure sometimes people experience chest muscle aches post procedure. Muscle aches could also be a side effect of certain medications that are used after a heart attack. Everyone is different and everyone responds differently but we would recommend you discuss these symptoms with your healthcare provider. Never ignore any symptoms - your body is trying to tell you something - either it is healing normally or there is something that may need attention.