Assisted Living in Michigan can help you find the best Assisted Living in Michigan. Read reviews, compare ratings, check prices and more with our comprehensive directory of Assisted Living Facilities.

Assisted Living in MI

A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities in Michigan

What they're called

Official name: Home for the Aged (HFA)

Common name: Assisted living facilities

To compare assisted living to board and care, skilled nursing, and other long-term residential care communities, see Residential Care Options: How to Decide.

What they offer
  • Individual or shared (up to four persons) living units (from single rooms to multiroom apartments), often with cooking facilities
  • All meals, usually in a common dining area
  • Health and medication monitoring (including administration of medications); general supervision
  • Nursing services
  • Personal care services: Assistance with activities of daily living (ADLs) such as eating, dressing, and bathing)

  • Social and exercise activities

Note: Some facilities also offer respite care and other special services.

What they cost

Median monthly fees: $3,000 (higher for residents requiring memory care)

State of Michigan requirements
  • HFA must have 20 or more nonrelated residents.
  • A resident may engage outside agencies to provide additional services but only in coordination with the HFA facility.
  • Assessment of resident's condition and needs to be made upon admission and updated at least annually or upon substantial change in the resident's condition.
  • Shared bathrooms and bathing facilities are permitted.
State of Michigan oversight

The Michigan Department of Human Services, Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing (517-373-8580) licenses and regulates HFA facilities.

How to resolve problems or offer feedback
  • Contact the Michigan long-term care ombudsman (866-485-9393, toll-free); this is a free service to help residents informally resolve problems with a facility.
  • File an online complaint with the Michigan state Bureau of Children and Adult Licensing, or call them toll-free at 866-856-0126.
  • Rate and review assisted living facilities.
How to pay for assisted living in Michigan
  • Most assisted living is paid for privately by the resident and/or his or her family.
  • For Medicaid-eligible low-income residents whose condition would qualify them for Medicaid coverage of nursing home care, the Michigan Choice Waiver Program pays part of the cost of services provided by participating HFA facilities. The amount of payment depends on the level of services needed.
  • Low-income veterans or surviving spouses of veterans may be eligible for Aid and Attendance or other payments from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), which can help pay for assisted living.
  • Some assisted living facilities offer sliding scale fees, making a higher level of care available to families that might not otherwise be able to afford it. Be sure to ask -- or ask a geriatric care manager in the area if he or she knows which facilities offer sliding scale fees.
Help finding and choosing a facility
  • Hire a geriatric care manager (most have extensive local knowledge about assisted living facilities in a particular geographic area, including space availability, resident needs assessments, sliding scale fees, and resident satisfaction). To find a geriatric care manager, see's Senior Living Directory.
  • For details about assisted living facilities in each of the 50 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia, see A Caregiver's Guide to Assisted Living Facilities.

Assisted Living by County

Browse by Category