North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center

194 SWINDERMAN ROAD, Wexford, PA, 15090

Reviews of North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center

August 20, 2017

By Michele B.

I cannot say enough good things about North Hills Health & Rehabilitation. My aunt Anna was there for about 2 months. Throughout her stay she said that she thought they were giving her special treatment. Of course, this was not the case…it was just the exceptional standard care given at North Hills. The staff was wonderful. They interacted with her and exchanged stories more like they were old friends rather than caregiver and patient. After she left, my aunt said that she had the best time. Therapy was amazing. My aunt was “non-weight bearing” (in the words of the doctor) when she first arrived. Therapy had her up and walking ahead of schedule. And the food…it is made fresh daily. None of the prepackaged meals that so many others serve…including hospitals. With the hospitality and home cooking, I wanted to move in myself (okay not really). There is no other place I would even consider if I needed rehabilitation or skilled nursing care. I absolutely recommend North Hills Health & Rehabilitation.

August 17, 2017

By Buccos318

My family and I couldn't be more satisfied with the care that our dad received here. The nursing staff was wonderful and always made sure to ask my dad if he needed anything else before they exited the room, and the therapists were all amazing. Each therapist was as great as the next one and were very attentive and always found the magic touch and ways to make my dad work, even on his not-so-motivated days. The head of therapy kept in constant communication with me and always let me interrupt her to ask about his progress. We thank them for helping us get Dad home. We appreciated the small team there from administration to social worker and how we could always meet as needed to discuss anything without much of a fuss. I will most certainly be recommending this facility to others in our community.

June 27, 2017

By Worst place ever for therapy

Worst place ever. Therapy is terrible.. Just after money and once you use up all your days they dump you. Therapist do sitting exercises while they are busy on their phones and gossiping and talking about other patients. The PT and OT are extremely rude and disrespectful to the patients. The facility has been sited numerous times by the department of health.. don't send your family members here

June 03, 2017

By smartwoman3200

My Mom was in North Hills Health and Rehab for about 5 weeks recovering from a fall. After 2 weeks of rehab, we had her stay another few weeks and she moved to the long term floor. Every day she would tell me that everyone there treated her so well. The aides were terrific as were most of the nurses. And, the administrative staff was very on top of things and helpful throughout the process. I would recommend North Hills Rehab.

March 12, 2017

By Donna Lee I.

The facility itself could use interior cosmetic makeover. A fresh coat of paint, new cupboards for the "food area", definitely needed. As for the employees, as with any care facility, they definitely could use more help,for the amount of patients to aides, they need more hands. In saying that though, the employees they have are excellent! The nursing staff and aides are always approachable and try their best to give the highest quality of care to the patients and make family members feel very welcomed.

March 08, 2017

By Sorry I ever went here

I was a recent patient here and I cant tell you how awful it was. First off, the patient's that are here long term are treated much better than the patients that are just there for therapy. I would ring for the call bell and no one would answer it for at least 20-20 minutes. I know this because I timed them my watch. The aides and nurses were disrespectful. When my daughter tried to bring this up to the administrator, she tried to make up all kinds of excuses and then tried to put the blame on me for not being patient enough. Really... 3o minutes of waiting to go to the bathroom. The room appears old and the curtains stained with god knows what is on them. I guess they don't know anything about infection control here, since I got sent back out to the hospital with MRSA, which they thought I caught there. When asked if I wanted to go back there for therapy, I said anywhere but there, even Manor Care is better than this place.

March 06, 2017

By Great Great Niece

My great aunt has been living in North Hill Health and Rehab for the past 4 months. She is there on a permanent basis. It took a good month or two for her to settle in. There was a lot of "I want to go home's." Now all she talks about is how she loves the place and does not want to go home. "These people take wonderful care of me." " They treat me like I am special." "I have made lots of friends here and I love playing bingo and doing all the activities." Needless to say this has been very comforting to our family. It is so nice when you have found a nursing home that is the complete package. My Aunt has not been this healthy in years. She is getting her meds correctly. She is eating 3 good meals a day. She is getting exercise. Most important she is socializing with others. She is never in her room. We, the family, are extremely happy with North Hills Health and Rehab. If you are in need of a nursing home for a loved one. please check out North Hills Health and Rehab. You will be pleasantly surprised!!!!

March 05, 2017

By Prior patient

I was a patient here and I would never go back here ever. The staff were extremely rude. We had to wait 30 minutes before anyone would answer the call bell. There was another patient they sat in the hallway and all she would do is scream at everyone all night long. I did not get any rest at all and could not wait to go home. The food was awful and they never followed the specific diabetic diet I was on. When I was discharged the equipment they promised would be at my home was not there. I would look out my window and see the social outside smoking a cigarette and talking on here phone. Apparently not doing her job of getting my equipment ordered. It was the worst experience I ever had and I would never go back

February 28, 2017

By B3 r

The hominess of the facility immediately brought a feeling of comfort to my mother and my family. The staff worked as a team to make her stay comfortable and productive. The director was always present and concerns were addressed promptly. I am grateful to the skilled, kind hearted nurses, PTs, social worker, aids, activity staff and even the cleaning personnel who kept the facility spotless. Mom is back in her home doing well thanks to NHHR. I would definitely recommend NHHR to others.

By Emma1018

I was extremely impressed from the very beginning with North Hills, from the coziness of the facility, to the amazing nursing staff who actually care and show that they care, to the fabulous therapy staff, including the director who always takes the time to give me an update on my loved one's progress, to the therapists who were able to find the right way to motivate her (as it's not always easy!) and got her back to her normal self, walking and shopping! The building was always clean and always surprised me that there were no odors. The administrator cares more than your average person, and was always willing to lend a hand when needed, and the social worker answered my billion daily questions with a smile. What I love most about North Hills is the small size and "family feel". We didn't feel like just a number. I am so appreciative of the staff who went above and beyond, and would send my loved one there all over again, and will continue to highly recommend this lovely place to everyone in my community.

By classic1020

I have been coming to NHHR for many years ...to visit many of the residents that live there long term ...it is a wonderful place for them to live ...the activities, nursing, housekeeoing ,maintenance social services..and all that keep this place running..do a fantastic job..i have been in other places ...and i would rate NHHR a TOP OFF THE LINE FACILITY

By Caring family member11

I would like to share my experience for this Rehab Center. My Mom came here a month ago from the hospital. She need all kinds of help to promote her routine life quality. As long as we step into this building, we felt it is just like at home. The administrator Carolyn H. welcome us warmly and kindly. She is so responsible to make sure everything is being taken care of.. My mom doesn't speak English. The social worker Elyssa learned to put the translation program into her I Phone. She taught every to use it in order to be able to communicate with my mom. Mom is very satisfied and happy to tell me that she likes here. People is so nice and friendly to her and take a good care of her needs. I have been dealing with all the staffs about my mom's needs. The physical therapy, aids, nurses, so on are very skilled trained and have the positive attitude and good heart to help all the residents here. They are also cooperative working together to serve the resident needs. I do feel the trust to put my mom in this Rehab. I would like to suggest everyone of you who has the need should consider it first for your staying. Especially I like to share that they are so willing to make the corrections should something happens. We are, all human being and not perfect, so the humble attitude is so important. You will find all you need in this Rehab. God bless you. Praise The Lord! By the way, I have a neighbor who was here before. They constantly told me they like this Rehab and had the wonderful experience here.

February 16, 2017

By Regret coming here

My father was there and it was awful, from the first step into the building. The place smells like urine. The floors are dirty and the trashcans where overflowing. There was not enough help and the nurses were too busy talking to assist. When we went to the administrator, she just smiled and gave us the round about. Would never recommend this place to anyone. It was pathetic the people in charge don't seem to care, all they want is your money and a bed filled. Sad

January 26, 2017

By regretting every sending family member here

this place is a death sentence for anyone who comes here. If you care anything about your loved one do not send them here. The staff are no were and in and the nurses are too busy talking at the desk to take any interest in your concerns. The nurses just roll their eyes at you. Therapy is terrible, the boss came in to introduce herself and she acted as if we we beneath her. She was very snooty and no compassion or empathy at all. It was all about the bottom line. The rooms were filthy and unkempt. Dirty diapers in the trash can for days in the bathroom, dirty floors with stains all over them. When brought to the administrator attention, she just made some joke and tried to laugh it off. She gave us a coloring book, as if that would solve everything, while the floors continues to remain filthy as well as the room. The aides were rude and disrespectful., swearing multiple times. Please, please do not send your loves ones here unless you want them to die or suffer worse. Take it from a prior resident and family.

May 09, 2016

By just a fly on the wall

Other

well let me start by saying that the people that work there are wonderful from the kitchen to social workers and everyone in between. I think the big problem they have there is the blame is always someone else or an other department or the other shift not the person who is at fault. a have seen things there and know what i say like pt department making up their own equitiment because they do not have what they need and try to make up for it but if they had more item they would need more room. just like the kitchen they need a lot more room for ovens and things then they could do real cooking and not just a lot of premade meal items i know they have a chief there that could cook up a storm and within different diets needs they have a social worker that goes way out to help she will fight to the end. there is a girl in housekeeping that is great she makes her own wonderful spray that she will spray and it is lite and makes the room smell nice along with making your room nice and clean then we come to the nurses they are very good well most of them they are right there with your meds but when you hit your button for help most of them think it is up to the aide to answer it well they sit and talk and they will say they are doing their charts and things when you can hear them talking and laughing well you are in pain or not getting your air because the hose has poped off or some other problem that you need a nurse for i guess there should be 2 buttons one for the nurse and the other one for the aide.but in all fairness there are a lot of times there are not enough nurse for a lot of the shifts most of all night shift come on 2 nurses for the whole building at night when there is a death god forbid then you just have one running both floors. then there are the great backbone of any place like this the nurses aides the get all the dirty work their buns run off and have to track things down be a sounding board not to say about them getting hit or things thown at them or spat on they still come in and smile as they clean the person up whatever it may be top or bottom ha ha. but they are so over worked they work i would say like 3 shifts in one they need to hire more aides and not cut the hours but have more per shifts. in other words look out for the workers and not so much for the money until you get it straighten up then you will have happier workers and happier residents

March 04, 2015

By bobbiepinn

My father stayed in the skilled nursing unit for several months. I thought the outside of the facility was very welcoming. Had a "homey" type of feel. However, when you go inside the building it felt very hospital like. The rooms and the bathrooms did not always appear to be clean. Also, during my father's stay he contracted scabies from another resident AND cdiff. He had stayed at other local facilities before and never contracted anything. So not sure why this happened here. The PT department had very knowledgeable staff, however, they lacked equipment. Did not even have a recumbent bike. I brought this up to the administration and they acknowledged this issue and said that their "PT staff does the best they can with the equipment they have". This is most certainly NOT a place to send someone that has an existing condition that requires intense PT. The PT room is also VERY small. I would highly suggest you go and tour the PT area before sending a loved one there so that you get a clear understanding of the PT that will be provided (this was my mistake). One big positive, is that the staff was very kind throughout my father's stay. They were very helpful and were quick to respond to my questions/needs. The staff would even sit daily with my father to help him eat (this is a big deal since I have found at other facilities they did NOT do this). I did notice though that sometimes it seemed like they were too short staffed to take care of the needs of all residents in a timely manner (e.g., bathroom assistance, dressing --- sometimes I would go there in the afternoon & my father would still be in a hospital gown!). So, in summary, take a tour --- and this should be a rule of thumb before using the services at any facility..

November 22, 2014

By chris7267

I've got my mom into North Hills. It is a small facility, and the care is very personal. It is located just north of the city in Wexford, PA, so scenic-wise it is very pretty. There are woods around there, and the grounds are very nice. Like I said, the care is very personalized. They do a lot of activities with them. During the warm days, they would take them outside and do activities with them. They take care of all of her needs. Even the physicians that she sees or different specialists make arrangements for her and provide transportation, so it is very comprehensive. They really take care of everything, and we are very pleased.

Features of North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Overall:
  • Ownership Type: For Profit Partnership
  • Date Certified: 05/01/2017

About North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center

North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center is a nursing home in Wexford, PA that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of North Hills Health and Rehabilitation Center