Devon Gables Health Care Center

6150 East Grant Road, Tucson, AZ, 85712

Reviews of Devon Gables Health Care Center

carolt2 October 13, 2012

This facility did a good job meeting all my father's medical and social requirements. The staff were generally caring, and gave personalized service. They were pretty responsive to our requests. Turnover was low, so staff got to know my dad's needs well. The management met with us regularly to discuss my father's care plan and his status. I liked that the rooms had big bright windows and good access to landscaped grounds. The staff were careful to send my father to the ER whenever he showed signs of physical distress.

cnourtsis July 25, 2012

I have been to this facility many times. The outside is beautifully landscaped which is nice for the residents. Every time I went, the resident I was visiting was always clean and well treated. I have been places where this wasn't this case, so this is very important to me. They had special things the residents could do and events and games they could participate in, if they were able. The only reason I didn't give this place five stars is because the staff seemed so overworked and sometimes it appeared that they weren't very sympathetic to what we were going through. I understand that they see and have to deal with things every day, but they should really remember that not all of us do and it can be pretty traumatic. Again, I will say that this is one of the better places I have been to, for assisted living/hospice care and I would definitely return.

Looking Forward June 21, 2012

My mother was a resident of this retirement home for five or more years. I would go there several times a week to visit her and to work in her "garden." The staff is very pleasant to both the residents as well as to their relatives. In fact once a year there is a BBQ held for the residents and their families. It is truly a special time and definitely was marked on my calendar way in advance because I could go around and talk with the families of my mother's friends all withing the same day. There were songs to be sung while banjos and fiddles were being picked. It was and still is a very festive time.

There is so much to do at MerryWood and my mother was always involved "going and doing" with many of the other folks who lived there. At times, I think, she was busier than I was and I had three children to raise and keep up with. Just to name a few of the many activities that my mother enjoyed were; a mission group, this is where group comprised both of men and women would get together and roll bandages for the people with Leprocsy or would fix goodie bags or sandwiches for a local church mission or soup kitchens around Charlotte. There is an exercise group that meets two or three times a week to "workout." (Of course, the YWCA is right next door and MerryWood residents receive a special rate.) There is a group that will put puzzles together, a book club, and a couple of bible study groups. Church services for all denominations on Sundays mornings and evenings. Of course, there are nights that people gather around to play games like, One Eye Jack or Bingo. There are good prizes to be had if you should have the winning card. There are bridge clubs and there is a pool table on the third floor for the men to gather and play until their hearts are content.

Mother had a garden which I tended to. Even my children at the time enjoyed planting vegetables and the dahlias we would gather from the garden would put into vases to sit on the tables in the dining area. Let me tell you about the food. Now you couldn't find a more varied menu than what they had at MerryWood. One night it would be a Mexican theme and the next would be a French theme of course the meal followed the theme of the day. The one day that was your special day, like a birthday or an anniversary, the staff made you feel very special and my mother said she felt like a "Queen for the Day." Even the chef had his own herb and vegetables which he cooked and shared with the residents.

The residents enjoy the special entertainment that will visit every month. I believe most weekends there is some singing or tap dancing group that comes to entertain. If there isn't a special group the residents will have "a movie night on their huge flat screen TV, I really mean big it is probably the largest TV made. It really feels like you are at the movies. Of course, there is popcorn and drinks available for all who come. Let's not forget the twice a week ice cream socials everyone and his brother will show up for.

MerryWood is still a great place. I go back now and again just to visit with some of Mom's friends. She is not with us anymore for she passed away a couple of years ago. But she always commented that she wished she had gone to MarryWood about five years earlier than what she did. It is a wonderful place and I am so glad that she was able to spend her last years enjoying herself and others there at MerryWood.

Isn't this what we want for all of our parents?

Esther2 June 21, 2012

My husband has been living at this facility for three years now. Devon Gables is a no frills facility. The nurses, cna's, and other support personnel are stable and demonstrate a lot compassion and care. The entire facility is kept cleaned and well maintained.

AVIE4 June 15, 2012

This is a large facility. I was told by their manager they are the largest skilled nursing facility in Arizona. Their employees are very good at what they do and work hard to make the residents feel at home. There are residents who live their permanently, and patients who are there for rehabilitation or skilled treatment such as wound care. The atmosphere is made to feel "homey" and welcoming. Their are separate areas for permanent residents made to look like bedrooms instead of hospital rooms. However, there are also rooms for patients that resemble hospital rooms. There are separate areas outside the patient rooms made to look like living rooms where there is a television, a table to play checkers and cards. Their are daily activities such as art classes, exercise classes and group gatherings to keep the residents engaged. There were times where the staff members were not as friendly to the residents as would be expected. This is probably true in every facility you visit due varying levels of a caring nature some people have, but overal, this facility seemed to be a good environment.

From Devon Gables Health Care Center

Devon Gables Rehabilitation Center in Tucson, Arizona provides a variety of care levels to its residents, specializing in rehabilitative care in addition to offering independent and assisted living arrangements. Beyond the care services it offers, Devon Gables also prides itself on giving seniors a modern, comfortable and safe home.

Seniors in need of rehabilitation services and frequent assistance with daily activities and healthcare can benefit from the extensive nursing care offered at Devon Gables. With a focus on individualized attention and a core mission of providing comfort, hope and the highest quality care, Devon Gables is designed for seniors looking for consistent care and support.

SERVICES AND HEALTHCARE

Devon Gables Rehabilitation Center provides a large variety of services to its residents. The levels of care and living arrangements at the community include:

• Independent living
  • Assisted living
  • Behavioral therapy
  • Alzheimer’s services
  • Rehabilitation care

Skilled nurses are onsite 24 hours a day to assist with post-surgical care and medication assistance, or to deal with any health issues that arise. In the community’s behavioral unit, highly trained staff focus on caring for residents with dementia. Psychiatrists are on hand in the community’s behavior unit to work with residents and staff to identify any issues and provide solutions.

REHABILITATIVE SPECIALTIES

Devon Gables Rehabilitation Center has a strong focus on rehabilitative care. One principle of the community is that rehabilitation leads to wellness and a better overall quality of life. Each rehabilitation plan is personalized, and may include:

• Occupational therapy
  • Physical therapy
  • Speech therapy
  • Respiratory therapy

Devon Gables provides wound certified nurses 7 days a week and has a restorative nursing program. One of the highlighted amenities is the HydroTrack System, which gives high impact therapy that reduces risks for the aging community.

FACILITIES AND AMENITIES

Devon Gables Rehabilitation Center’s primary focus is residents’ health and safety. The facility is a 312-bed skilled nursing community that aims to re-create the feel of home. The community is designed in a southwestern style, and compassion is a golden rule among employees. The facility offers several levels of care.

Both short-term and long-term stays are available and can include independent living, assisted living or a living arrangement with round-the-clock care. Pets are welcome with a one-time fee, and there are both private and semi-private living options.

Food is an important aspect of the community, and residents can choose from a variety of cuisine that meets their dietary needs. Residents can choose tasteful, nutritious meals based on low-sodium, low-fat, diabetic-friendly and other restrictions. Monday nights at the community’s dining room are candlelight dinners, and private dining and room service are also available.

Devon Gables also boasts an array of other amenities, including psychiatric and psychological services, social services, a beauty and barbershop and housekeeping and laundry.

ACTIVITIES, EVENTS AND PROGRAMS

Regular activities are offered at Devon Gables, and span everything from Bingo and Wii games to crafts, church services and movie nights. Residents also have an onsite gift shop where they can rent movies or socialize.

The community coordinates weekly trips to area grocery stores and also offers transportation to and from medical appointments. For seniors facing mental health and memory issues, a safe outdoor environment is available onsite.

Features of Devon Gables Health Care Center