Van Duyn Home and Hospital

5075 WEST SENECA TURNPIKE, Syracuse, NY, 13215

Reviews of Van Duyn Home and Hospital

Bogo February 29, 2016

I was a rehab patient at VanDyne in Nov of 2014. The food was inedible the staff was mediocre but the Pt and Ot staff was outstanding. As for my overall impression it was a giant game of clue. No one knew what the other one was doing

Caring143 January 31, 2016

My mother did a couple of stays at Van Duyn for some rehabilitation. They’re overloaded, the staff is overworked, and you can see it on their faces, but you can’t blame them because their job isn’t easy. When I had my mother in there and I went up to see her, it’s basically what I did expect from what I heard. But my mother wasn’t unhappy and she would tell me.

RG31964 December 03, 2015

This place is an absolute joke. The staff on 6th floor south is completely incompetent, led by an even more incompetent nurse manager. My family member on more than one occasion was made to lay in their own urine and feces, for HOURS! I've been there on many occasions where it took more than a half hour for a nurse to attend to my family member after the "call nurse" button was depressed!! On a regular basis, I've witnessed nurses with their faces stuck in their cell phones or jacking their jaws, laughing and joking with other nurses while blue lights are flashing in the ceiling for other needy patients. The lack of compassion is totally egregious!

Mardean October 31, 2014

We chose Van Duyn probably because my mother had been there for four years and my wife’s mother for seven years, and we were very familiar with the place. My wife had fallen at home and broke her pelvis and was at the hospital right next to where Van Duyn is. She went to Van Duyn for physical therapy and rehab. It was a good time for her to stay; we knew she would be there eventually because she was experiencing increasing dementia.

I think it is basically been good and again we were quite familiar with the Van Duyn. We feel that basically, she has had good care there. There has been a transition taking place because Van Duyn had been a county home, and less than a year ago it was acquired. I feel that they do really quite well. I think a nursing home is somewhat limited by the amount of staff they can afford so I guess you don’t see perfection but nevertheless she has been well cared for. It has come to witnessing her limitation to enjoy being there.

My wife and I are both clergy, and when she got there they started calling her pastor Carol. She has come to think Van Duyn as her new church. It has made her more content to be there, I would say and she felt she had a purpose in being there. I have never seen a nursing home quite like it.

They have a central unit -- a gathering room with a beautiful view down the valley -- and I think they did a pretty god job of encouraging all those were able to come out to have their meals and if they have activities and where they are able to relate to each other. They basically had to take anyone who needed a home no matter how bad their condition was whereas the other homes need to take just a limited number of Medicaid patients. Van Duyn is a home that has had -- as I have observed -- more people in need of greater care.

dapple August 31, 2013

Van Duyn Home and Hospital received a 1 out of 5 overall rating from the Department of Health. It is rated much below average overall based on health inspections, nursing home staffing, and quality measures. This facility is a "Special Focus Facility", due to a history of bad care.

189lgbols October 18, 2012

The care is less than satisfactory. I wouldn't suggest this facility to my worst enemy.

melbk312 April 13, 2012

Van Duyn seems to be a good place for my aunt to be placed in for getting all the care she needs. The people were friendly and eager to assist in helping determining if the place was right for my aunt. The facilities there are nice because they have social activities that the elderly can do such as arts and crafts, games, and big screen tv's in rooms for them to socialize for their entertainment to keep them socially active if they are able to be. The staff there is always on hand and easy to get a hold of if help if needed. They have a full cafeteria with all kinds of food offerings everyday so that they dont have just one choice in their meals. They take really good care of my aunt there and i appreciate their hard work and service they put into their job. It seems like a really great place to have the elderly live in with the positive environment that surrounds it.

lss April 05, 2012

my experience with the nursing home was my husband is a quad and lived there for two years the facilitie was clean most of the time and the food was great and ther was lots of options. the biggest problem that we had and many other people had a problem with the staffes addatude they made us fell like we where there so they could have a job not that they were there to help the people in need. my husband was rearly treated with dignaty for exsample he had to be cathed 6 times a day and if he had to pee and it was time to eat they said you have to wait mean while his bladder is about to explode. one time he was going out side to smoke a cigerette and the nurse grabed the controler of his electric chair and was spinning him in a circle in the middle of the lunch room saying your not going out to smoke over and over he was mordified and i was too. it was not g great place from are point of view staff wise but a lot nicer and cleaner then all of are other choices in the area.

brl4790 September 10, 2011

In my opinion, my uncle's care at Van Duyn is passable, however, there are areas where a little common sense could come into good use. My uncle was born with some slight mental retardation due to a lack of oxygen during birth. I say slight because in certain instances, you would never be able to tell he had limitations. For example, he could probably tell you the complete schedule of any Centro bus, including drop-off locations and times, if you wanted to know. But there are other areas where his mental capacity is still clearly limited, especially in terms of making decisions for himself on what to eat (he is diabetic, and struggles to keep his blood sugar level low) and how to spend money. Unfortunately, the staff at this home insist on treating him as an adult, which physically, he clearly is, but mentally, there are deficiencies that the staff should be paying attention to.

About Van Duyn Home and Hospital

Van Duyn Home and Hospital is a nursing home in Syracuse, NY that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Van Duyn Home and Hospital for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Van Duyn Home and Hospital

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff

Location of Van Duyn Home and Hospital