NEED HELP FINDING NURSING HOMES?

Talk to an advisor for free: (866) 515-8248

Accepting inquiries

Reviews of James Square Health and Rehab Center

Posted by Badcare July 03, 2015
1.0

It has taken me 2 months to try to write this review without emotion. We chose the facility for the needs my mother needed. She went for rehab care to go home. This was temporary. I was apalled by the care she was given. Short staffed. Big turnover of staff because of disorganization. No DOCTOR came to evaluate her just a nurse practitioner. With attitude who only followed orders from the hospital. Without re evaluating her current needs. My family had to stay on everyone to brush her teeth and get her ready for PT. my mother ended up with infections and other issues she did not have when she arrived. My mother was supposed to get ready to go home. But after 2 weeks they sent her back to the hospital where she died just days later! She died!!, the respiratory specialist was great as some of the staff and OT and Pt! But one head nurse obviously dislikes her job as she brought her attitude daily and yelled at my dad who was only worried about his wife of 60 years. Nurse practitioner the same with attitude. I believe my mother would be here today if James square had more staff and a few more people that care. I would never recommend this facility for short term care let alone long term. Parking is a minor issue in the scheme of things. This facility needs to be seriously evaluated so they don't hurt people who are there to get well. I will forever regret my decision to bring my mother there. And they need to look at why their employees leave. I know because I had the opportunity to speak with a few before they left. And agree about people hanging in the hallway. Really????

Posted by Dragonflies April 17, 2015
3.0

I have been happy with James Square staff and care, They have shown great patience and kindness to my Mother over the past 6 years and although I wish the rooms were more private and were updated...I never worry about her care here. The staff will meet any needs and requests that we have. My Mom is completely paralyzed on her left side yet they manage to get her up, dressed, hair done and out for air everyday. There are daily activities, shopping trips, entertainment in the main diningroom. On the downside = Parking is difficult. Staff turnover is high because the job is hard. The place is old but updates are being made floor by floor.

Posted by Caroline7653 February 11, 2015
1.0

This place is a pit. The residents just sit in the hallway all day. I was visiting a relative and kept hearing complaints from patients there on how bored they were. They kept asking the staff what to do and the staff just ignored them. Another time I came to visit, my relative was still in bed. She wasn't washed nor dressed. There was food and liquids all over her. Ive complained several times and when the nurse told the supervisor my complaints I could hear her huffing and puffing and say I was pain in her butt. The facility itself it's disgusting. There's a horrible stench and garbage everywhere. I pulled my loved one out of there and we are in a much better and cleaner facility. James square is a nightmare.

Posted by Caring95930850 November 22, 2014
2.0

My brother is at James Square Health and Rehab Center, and I would not recommend this facility to anybody. It’s a very sad situation, and I am getting my brother out of that place. They don’t have the staff – way too understaffed. They have one nurse to 40 beds. I felt that he is not getting the care that he needs. In their rehab, the PT people were fantastic with him. He met his goals quite quickly, and he worked hard, but as far as the staff, I would not recommend them.

Posted by glad to be out of there October 12, 2014
2.0

horrible place smells like poo most of the aides have no clue what to do. i had to see a therapist from being there and still have night meres I WOULD NOT SEND ANYONE THERE

Posted by Deserve more September 14, 2014
1.0

This place is a complete dump. Unless you want your loved one lined up in the hall in a wheelchair ALL DAY, do not place them there. No attention is paid to the residents unless it is demanded by a family member. In addition, the facility is dirty!!

Posted by Lizzypoo August 21, 2012

I really don,t have anything negative to say about James Square nursing home except the location. I don't think it's in the safest part of the city. Parking can be difficult when it's busy and you would not feel safe parking on the streets. Other then that, the staff, the building, the food, everything is great. They take great care of my very complicated grandmother. She is stubborn and she doesn't like many nurses; this was the only place where she actually connects with the nurses. They are very patient, keep the place very clean, and she enjoys the food. On holidays they are very good about letting us use whatever room we want to have our meals in. We usually use the Cafe and have the whole room to ourselves.

Posted by matt123 July 24, 2012
4.0

I dont really have any negitive to say about this place. They take great care of my 80 year old grandmother who has not recovered from hip surgeory. She has been through a very rough time and the staff has really keep her in high energy. I bring her food often and we eat in an open room to get her 'away'. The staff is always open to this and bring us whatever we may need. I also take her to several places around town to eat, shop, or do whatever. The staff always makes sure she is ready and on the bus at the right time. Whatever we need them to do, the staff is right on it. Also, on holidays, we use their empty cafateria to have our meal in. The staff is very nice about allowing us to use it free of charge. I am glad that my grandmother will be spending the rest of her days at this place. Its a very clean facility, great staff and great care.

Posted by Natalie2 July 06, 2012
4.0

They have been very caring and understanding with my grandfather and his needs. After his stroke hes be on both sides of the fence and they have been patience with him. On the same note there are a few workers who are not the caring type and bring their attitudes to work. The facility is kept clean and in order and food is very good. My grandfather has adjusted well and very comfortable. we did have to put our foot down to not move his room again, as he gets disoriented each time he had moved; and they were kind enough to obliged and keep him where he is for his overall well being. Overall, i am satisfied with James Square.

Posted by mfrost1 June 02, 2012
4.0

The nursing home staff is very clean and pleasent to be around. They take very good care of my grandmother who is very needy. She has to stay in her bed all day and the staff does a great job at keeping her happy. There are several places she can go to 'get away' from everything. they also have venting machines with very good food in there. They treat her with a lot of great respect. I am happy i have picked this nursing home for my gradmother. I have also volunteered at this place and they have treated me very nicely as well. It is also very clean and free of oders.

Posted by GrannysGal April 14, 2012
4.0

James Square Nursing home in Syracuse, New York is a very clean facility with nice outdoor gardens, and the food is pretty good for a nursing home as well. They have a busy calendar of activities in-house for the residents as well as they also take some nice trips locally for dining, shopping, and even occasionally to a local casino! When the weather warms up, they also have an outdoor barbecue event for residents and family members for each floor of the home. It is especially nice because there are several floors to this home and many of the residents travel all around via their wheelchairs and socialize visit with other patients and visitors, in several lovely lounge areas. One of the nicest features of this facility is the fact that there is a lovely, nicely decorated for every holiday, sun-filled breezeway where many residents come to sit and relax every day or visit with family. It is a delightfully pleasant area that many of the residents enjoy as well as the nursing home has set up several dining tables there. They also have another lovely room upfront of the facility, where one can also just sit and relax, dine, or watch all the hustle and bustle of folks, buses, etc. passing by in the surrounding city area. Like in most areas, the local public bussing company provides rides for handicapped seniors along all the major public bus routes, by sending a smaller bus to take the seniors out in. There is much variety in the area as far as city, suburbs, and the country to take the resident out to and all for a small fee of no more than $3 one way. The nursing home is in the city, where there is much going on all spring and summer with festivals of all kinds and good dining all around along with many modern and lovely suburban shopping centers nearby. The cost of living in the Syracuse area is also very affordable. Overall, I would have to say, that James Square and the entire Syracuse, New York area is a great place to live and now to have transferred my mother to at this very descent and pleasant nursing home. The home is always decorating and keeping the entire place very clean and most the staff are very pleasant and accomodating. They also have a very good physical therapy clinic, that I've heard a lot of good things about around town.

Posted by lovewhatIdo August 20, 2011
2.0

The facility at first glanced seemed clean as I went through the front doors. However, once in my friend's relatives room, I noticed overfull trash cans.It looked like the bed had not been changed, feces and urine on them at least from the night before. Nurses talking on their cell phones, while patient's were trying to get assistance.

Medicare Ratings

Medicare provider number: 335338

Health
1.0
Overall
1.0
Quality