Sante of Surprise

14775 W. Yorkshire Drive, Surprise, AZ, 85374

Top nearby Nursing Homes

Reviews of Sante of Surprise

NEW-TO-THIS March 04, 2014

I WOULD NOT recommend Sante for rehabilitation. My mother (a senior, as most patients are) came to Sante with a cracked femur. She had titanium pins and a rod surgically inserted during surgery and came to Sante for rehabilitation. The place was recommended and our family was told that accommodations were state-of-the-art. I assumed the care would be equal to that. I was wrong. My mother was assigned one doctor who was rarely on site, and whom I only got a chance to talk to once during the 5 days my mother was here. The pain medication they suggested was chosen because it was the only kind they could regulate at 12 hour intervals. They told me they could not be responsible for seeing to it that my mother would get medication when she needed it and SHE would have to ask for it. To make matters worse, the pain medication they prescribed put her in a such a state that she was not able to make ANY decisions about what she needed or when she needed it. When they asked her how she was doing, she didn't even know. All she was able to do was scream and cry when they tried to move her. Is this pain management? She had to ask to be bathed and it only happened once during her 5-day stay, Additionally, the staff was told numerous times not to roll her onto her side because of her pain but every time a nurse or assistant came in (always a new one) they tried to roll her on her side. Do they not have a way of communicating between each other? Unbelievable. One night nurse, also wanting to roll her onto her side, was in such a hurry to make her rounds that I had to dismiss her so I could CAREFULLY change her bedding myself. Bottom line was that I felt my mother was continually getting worse since her arrival at Sante. I NEVER felt safe to leave my mother's side for even one night, anticipating what the staff might do (or not do) to her in my absence. There were a few staff members who genuinely seemed to care about my mother's care but I only saw them once. One of the physical therapists was wonderful but also commented about how my mother's pain needed to be monitored better because she was unable to do her job. My mother has always been a healthy woman and is not a whiner. Sante has made her and our family feel defeated and less than hopeful about her recovery. We are transferring her to another facility TODAY!

HORRIBLE-PLACE September 03, 2013

AVOID THIS PLACE!!!!!!!!! AVOID SANTE!!! Looks are deceiving! If it were possible to give Sante no stars I would have. I was at Sante for two months. I am a 50-year-old nurse who had to enter a rehab facility due to a severe leg injury which confined me to a wheelchair. Because of living alone I was not able to care for myself at the time. It was ~ two weeks before going home that I began to really see the things that were going on at this hell house. Now, there is nothing wrong with my mind -- no dementia, memory issues, etc. -- nor any other health issues. Just this severe leg injury. While you are there, you are encouraged to leave your room & have your meals in the dining room/restaurant; however, with my leg injury & difficulty getting around, I was in my room all the time. When finally able to leave my room, let me tell you I was HORRIFIED by the things I saw. HORRIFIED!!! Patients were rudely treated & the older they were, or if they had some form of dementia, the worse they were treated. There were FOUR DEATHS during the first month I was there. Granted, I do not know WHY they were there, but this is NOT a hospice so you cannot say these people were on their way out anyway. (The majority of patients were knee or hip surgery patients). I was almost one of those patients teetering on the threshold of a permanent check out. Having surgery on my leg, there was concern the incision was becoming infected so the doctor ordered IV antibiotics. On the fifth night of IV treatment, this new nurse came in to hang the IV. After ~ 10 minutes I began to have difficulty breathing. I was having an anaphylactic reaction. An aid came to answer the call light; saw I was in severe distress & flew out of my room for the nurse. She returns, takes a look at the IV bag when this look of horror comes over her face. She stopped the IV, literally ripped the bag off the IVAC & literally ran out of the room. About a minute later, another nurse comes in to assess me. Since I couldn't speak due to my throat closing up, I wrote a note telling her I am having an anaphylactic reaction (life-threatening allergic reaction) to the IV and need to get to the ER & for them to call 911. Long story short, I was told they could not call 911 without an order from the doctor!!! For real? Yeah, folks, for real!!! Isn't 911 for emergencies? and since when is a doctor's order necessary to call 911? So what happened? This nurse hung an IV bag belonging to another patient which contained a medication that I was allergic to!!! This nurse nearly killed me! And what did Sante do about the mishap and the nurse? Absolutely NOTHING!!! Not even an apology! She did NOT get fired nor did she get written up for this deadly mistake!!! Fortunately, I had an Epipen and was able to inject myself and literally saved my own life. The aid kept returning to check on me for the remainder of his shift & repeatedly told me he could not believe how this situation was handled. He also told me that the "talk" going on at the nursing station was about the nurse hanging the wrong IV and how "lucky" it was that she didn't kill me! This aid also stated that after his shift, he was handing in his resignation -- and he did! In another incident, I had a cast on which was getting tighter and tighter by the hour. A different nurse comes in to assess the situation, leaves, only to return with an armful of supplies. He ends up cutting off the top of the cast, then took some cotton and began to "stuff" the cast with it using both a KNIFE and sharp-point SCISSORS to push this cotton into the cast! He cut my leg up so badly that I had to go to the hospital to be treated for all the cuts and a new cast! Unbelievable! Another incident: Following one of my post-op visits with my surgeon, he wrote orders for cast care, wound care, dressing changes & physical therapy. Not ONE of his orders was followed by Sante. When I questioned them about when they were going to start the new orders, they told me, "Oh, your doctor's orders are not in your best interest, so, we are going to follow Sante's protocol for all these areas! Are you kidding? IGNORING YOUR doctor's orders? Yup, folks, they did! Another thing is they go through employees faster than you can blink! Not just the nursing staff, but the staff in the therapy & other departments, too. In the 8 weeks there, only twice did I have the same physical therapist! What is up with that??? These are only a FEW things that happened to me! What about the others? I can go on & on with HORROR stories, but I think you get the picture. I wouldn't send my worst enemy to Sante! So please, folks, spare yourself headaches, but most of all, spare yourself from HEARTACHE, because trust me, you - or your loved one - will NOT be happy there. The ONLY positive thing I can say about Sante is the grounds are beautiful. But let us be realistic -- beauty does NOT care for you!

caring0311313 March 19, 2013

I was at Sante of Surprise for rehabilitation. Their physical therapy is well-staffed. It is a mixture of certified, masters and doctors of physical therapy. I happened to get one who just came in who had a master's degree, and he was quite good. They also bring in other part-time therapists if they need them. They seem very well-organized. They aren't filled all the time, but they have a capacity of 70. It seemed like they have a lot of administrative staff. Their kitchen and dining facilities are excellent. They were really good.

About Sante of Surprise

Sante of Surprise is a nursing home in Surprise, AZ that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Sante of Surprise for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Sante of Surprise

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff

Location of Sante of Surprise