Sholom Home West

3620 PHILLIPS PARKWAY SOUTH, Saint Louis Park, MN, 55426

Reviews of Sholom Home West

Chip1313 July 06, 2014

My wife spent 12 days at Sholom Home West recently in the transitional care unit. Had I written this review in the first few days, I would say, "Stay away." Now that she is home and I have thought a bit more, I would qualify my review. If you are Jewish and need to keep Kosher, then Sholom is a good place to be. They pretty much shut down from Friday night to Saturday night, so you won't get your PT or OT or any of the treatments you are in transitional care to receive. Some of the staff are surly. Some are Ok. My wife came in from the hospital and needed her pain meds, but they told us they hadn't come yet and they did not come for hours until she was in extreme pain. Considering they had a dispensing machine on the floor with the drug she needed and she had a valid prescription, it wouldn't have been difficult to get the relief she needed, but the staff couldn't figure out that the machine had exactly the right dosage my wife needed. They thought she needed 1/2 the dose, which the machine didn't have. Luckily, a doctor was doing rounds that night. Otherwise, it would have been a lot worse than it was. The hospital assured us that the machine she needed for keeping her leg from stiffening up would be there when we arrived. It took Sholom two days to acquire the machine The first three days at Sholom were a nightmare. After that things were better. The rooms are quite large and my wife had the use of a semi-private room with no roommate for 10 or 11 days. Some of the staff were very attentive and helpful, but it was hit and miss. I've read some comments from other patients at other facilities and II fear that most transitional care facilities are just as bad, if not worse, which is why I am giving two stars, rather than 0 or 1. If you come here from a hospital, make sure you have enough medication to get you through the first night. Do not rely on Sholom to be be prepared with the pain medication you need.

Char1 February 17, 2012

When my elderly friend was admitted to Sholom Home,he was a seriously ill elder who needed to be fed through a tube. The staff made many efforts to make his stay there humane and comfortable by providing him with a bright room and nice public spaces to interact with visitors. The certified nursing assistants treated him and his visitors with kindness and respect. The facility itself was clean, orderly, and safe. My understanding that in addition to be well managed, it is also endowed by several foundations. The furnishings were outstanding and the room was large and comfortable. During our visits, we were greeted by courteous and friendly receptionists. Many social activities were planned for elders that involved families, music and holidays, both faith-based and secular. My friend lived there a year before succumbing to complications due to his fragile condition, but we were happy to know that he had received such excellent and conscientious care. The only thing better than living out the rest of his life independently was to spend it in such a caring facility. I would recommend Sholom home to anyone who is facing a situation in which they need to entrust their friend or loved one to a care facility.

DavidM1 September 10, 2011

A close family friend is a resident of Sholom Home and I visit her regularly. I helped her research facilities when it was time for her to enter long term care, and she chose Sholom Home because she wanted a Jewish community presence and because Sholom Home has better health outcomes for its residents than the state average in most areas. Her health care appears to be excellent, but I have observed her become more anxious and depressed during the time she has been at Shalom Home. Most of the staff are excellent, but it appears to be difficult to report concerns about staff, should any arise, without concerns of retaliation or decreased care. There are on-site kosher meals and Jewish services, which were a major factor in our decision to move her to Sholom Home. The only ongoing concern is a safe reporting system for her staff concerns that will be kept anonymous or won't impact her care and relationship with staff. Additional social activities and mental health services to address depression and anxiety among Sholom Home West residents would also be wonderful.

About Sholom Home West

Sholom Home West is a nursing home in Saint Louis Park, MN that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Sholom Home West for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Sholom Home West

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Overall: