Delmar Gardens South

5300 BUTLER HILL ROAD, Saint Louis, MO, 63128

Reviews of Delmar Gardens South

Caring5977 October 17, 2013

The nursing staff was terrible in Delmar Gardens South and they didn't think. If there was an order, they did it but they would never call for an order. The aides were fine though. My wife stayed there when she fell and fractured her pelvis. They let her sleep for twelve hours without changing her clothes and without letting her urinate except on herself. They told me they couldn't do anything so I got an ambulance and went someplace else. I was very upset.

MegAnne September 13, 2012

The employees were all fabulous. My great aunt was NOT a kind woman by any means, but none of the employees ever complained about her and they still made sure that they treated her the same as even the kindest person staying there. The facility itself is absolutely gorgeous and has a ton of various activities for all of the people staying there. They even had a pool, exercise facility, and ice cream room. All of these things were easy access and, if they wanted too, residents could take visitors with them to get ice cream and/or go for a swim. It was easy to have bonding time with residents without ever having to leave the grounds. The rooms are well organized and much bigger than I would have expected. Most of them have little balconies too that look over the well kept grounds.

danjo86 June 29, 2012

Delmar Gardens was a perfectly adequate facility. My grandmother had a very difficult personality. She was depressed and tired of life. She was also a hypochondriac, and a very negative person in general. In her eyes, the facility was terrible. But I had the opportunity to tour the facility in extensive detail while visiting her on numerous occasions. I am confident that, like many places in life, Delmar Gardens is what you make of it. The premises were always kept clean. The staff was generally friendly and courteous, although you could sense their understandable frustration after dealing with some of the residents for an extensive period of time. There was a library, lovely common rooms, and the rooms were flooded with natural light, which generally improves on the feel of the facility (compared to the stuffy feel I've encountered at similar facilities). There was a piano where people would regularly sing and play, an aquarium and a mini bird sanctuary. There were community building activities such as bingo on a regular basis. There was even a "main street" with a barber shop, general store and other little shops to make it feel like a natural community. I'm confident that with the right attitude, this would be a lovely place to spend your twilight years.

AJC1987 June 16, 2012

The facility seemed to be very nice and up to date style wise. Everything was decorated very well and looked very nice. The only problem I ran into is that there were a lot of people just being left in the hall way with no one to talk to and nothing to do. The staff just seemed to avoid them as they were sitting in their wheelchairs. I do not think I would send anyone to live in a place like this. The facilities seemed like they would be great if you were just older and not necessarily in need of 24 hour attention. If you were able to live in one of the "apartments" I think that would be a great place for that. The whole idea of my grandmother sitting in the hallway with people avoiding her just kind of makes me sick to my stomach. Overall I would recommend this place for anyone who is not in need of constant care.

Alex H. January 28, 2012

My experience with this facility is based on my grandfathers stay at the facility. The staff were very respectful of my grandfather, and have taken care to provide any services he requires. He can be kind of a grouch, so the fact he has very little bad to say about the place is a good sign. The facilities are all very clean, and I have never seen anything 'out of place' as I saw in some other facilities I toured with my grandfather. The dining is the only thing that could use improvement, as the options are rather limited, and I feel are not the healthiest options. The ice cream parlor is one of my grandfathers favorite places to visit in the facility. Other great amenities provided at Delmar South are the hair salon (although it took awhile for my grandfather to try it, since he had been getting his hair cut at the same place for almost 20 years) and the many 'field trips' that are organized for the residents. I'm so glad they take the time to keep my grandfather socially active. So often assisted living ends up causing the residents to become even more reclusive than they were at home. That is not the case at Delmar Gardens.I highly recommend visiting this facility!

DerekB January 21, 2012

Delmar Gardens was typically clean at any given time that I went to visit my grandparent and the food seemed decent but there were quite a few accidents that occurred in regards to other patients. My grandmother was more mobile than some of the other residents so she was able to do most things on her own or with some assistance but it seemed like the residents who were more dependent were dropped quite a bit and would have bed sores on a regular basis. As long as your loved one can take care of their self for the most part, you shouldn't have any problems. If your loved one needs quite a bit of care or attention, you may want to consider a different nursing home.

C.Buss December 08, 2011

My father was a resident at this facility and they took very good care of him. When there was an issue it was quickly resolved. The facility was clean and the staff was friendly

coffeetalk November 17, 2011

I really didn't feel that there was any asset that made it an outstanding facility compared to others in the community for my folks.

Film0Inlove June 05, 2011

Friend or relative of resident

Delmar Gardens has multiple locations and most are close to almost any Saint Louis region, I had a grandmother who stayed in the south branch of Delmar Gardens in South County Saint Louis. The staff was friendly, the grounds were beautiful, and unlike many assisted living homes there really wasn't that odd smell through the hallways. My favorite part about Delmar Gardens though, was the way they encourage family to visit. Many times they will sponsor events and will notify the family by mail as to when the happenings are going on. During these events they have activities for the grandchildren as well as live music and refreshments for older visitors. Also, they have a salon in the building so my Grandmother, who loved going to her salon could go any day she wanted to - It was just right down the hall!

About Delmar Gardens South

Delmar Gardens South is a nursing home in Saint Louis, MO that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Delmar Gardens South for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Delmar Gardens South

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Overall: