Sitter and Barfoot Veterans Care Center

Reviews of Sitter and Barfoot Veterans Care Center

January 20, 2010

By everythingbut

childish.....

From the outside Sitter and Barfoot seems great and I thought the same when I saw it. The truth is it may be one of the best but it should be a lot better. Let's face it this is one of Virginia State places. It is horribly understaffed and the people that do work there do not care about the residents. Their Alzheimer and Dementia unit is secure but some of the nurses are horrible. There has been days that I have left in tears from seeing what happens. I have seen men, granite these men are the only reason these nurses have the right to work and need thanked for every thing they have done for us, slammed into chairs and yelled at. Out on the main units I have seen used depends left in the rooms for the men to have to smell all day and night until housekeeping comes to remove it. I have seen men not being fed because trays cannot be found. I mean don't get me wrong it may be a great place but these people deserve the best and that is far more than what they are getting. I would never recommend anyone staying here.

January 05, 2010

By janesmith

Not what it appears to be

Look beneath the exterior.

October 28, 2009

By Thanx

I just wanted to say thank you to all the staff members at this wonderful and caring facility. I have never seen a group of people care so much about the patients they take care of on a daily basis. I had a family member fairly recently that was a patient at Sitter & Barfoot. I can not say enough how impressed I was at the compassion the nursing staff showed and the care received. Even when it was evident the end was coming, staff made the worst of times bearable and I can not thank you enough. I can only hope that people realize what a tremendous and heavy burden it is to care for someone else's family member and that everyone knows that the staff at this facility are top notch and the care could not be better anywhere else. Thank you again.

August 24, 2009

By giorgio

not good

Not happy,very disturbed about the care my uncle has received.He has actually declined since his stay in such a short period.We thought this would be a safe and healthy environment but we were wrong.I noticed that many of the facility's in the Richmond Area are awful.

August 01, 2009

By skyblue

terrible

I had a family member there and they complained everyday from medicine issues to getting up at 4:00 in the early AM and waiting hours to get help to go to the bathroom.The rehab team was wonderful but that was the only good thing.

July 29, 2009

By michelle42

very dissapointed

My father was admitted to this facility from the VA hospital 2 months ago.The place looked nice and clean but he would complain about the staff coming into his room early in the morning,he even told me that one night nursing staff woke him at 4:30 in the morning to dress,he was very angry and wanted to know what was going on.I called the next day to speak with someone in charge and they put me thru to seven different people and nobody could explain why he was told to get up so early,I thought patients have rights,my father may be disabled but his mind is very sharp.Then the next week he started complaining about not getting his medicine on time and sometimes he would't get his breathing treatments.He had 3 falls during his stay,the last one was in the bathroom where a nursing aide left him on the toilet and he couldn't reach the call button.I noticed different staff like everyday,I've even heard some of the staff saying they were quitting because the facility management was crazy.I decided to move my dad to another home,I was able to get him into an assisted living in the west end called Spring Arbor and he loves it.It's really sad that places are not thoroughly inspected,you never really know what goes on.However,I did file some complaints with the local ombudsman.

By maj

Health Care

I have witnessed a friend of mine in several facilities in Va, and i have seen the most results at Sitter & Bar foot, than any other place. The staff has been extremely professional in all they do. When we have needed someone in the room they were there. No nonsense going on any where that i was. From cleanliness of the facility to the care of my friend to the distributing of the medications. Keep up the Great Work, you all are awesome.

By coffeefreak1977

What's the deal?

What's the deal? Why can't all facilities be run like Sitter and Barfoot. I have a friend that is a patient there, and we drive from Lynchburg VA, and visit him. The facility is always clean, smells fresh, staff is nice, they even welcome you at the door, (who does that anymore). I recommend this facility to anyone looking for a place where you feel welcome, enjoy a grounds, and like cleanliness. VERY HIGH rated in my book.

By hrc

Sitter and Barefoot Facility

I have read through some of the negative comments posted. I have a friend who is currently a patient there and i must say it is hands down the best facility I have seen here in Virginia. Staff was friendly and very courteous. I would recommend this facility for anyone who needs future care.

By poodle104

Bravo to all

After being in hospitals from Portsmouth to Charlottesville my husband was admitted to this facility in Dec 2008. I can tell you that there is no better facility that I have found in Virginia. If there had been a high staff turn over perhaps they have already weeded out the bad ones because I can assure you that I have never met anyone at this facility who is not above average in their profession. They are all nothing less then professional. There are no staff bickering in the halls like every other facility I have been in. The patients are always treated with the utmost respect and from what I have seen the patient care is above excellent. Also, the cleanliness of this facility is well above average and there is staff always available. For such a new facility the organization that they have in place seems to allow the facility to run from my perspective very smoothly. I know that as a Vet myself if I ever need the services like this facility offers it will be my first choice. My personal thank you to all.

June 11, 2009

By skrpetta

Sitter and Barfoot

I have a relative at this facility, and had first impressions that everything was wonderful....although I do not know the whole story and the depth of the real problem...I am sure that the facility is dangerously understaffed on the wings for immediate patient care. There is a real patient fall problem/safety problem because of what appears to be understaffing. I have seen a lot of the aides disappearing and be not available when there is a need for routine patient care. I have also seen first hand patients not being changed within normal time frames. Although I have seen much worse facilities...this is such a disappointment... and needs to be investigated.

Features of Sitter and Barfoot Veterans Care Center

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Overall:
  • Ownership Type: Government State
  • Date Certified: 05/01/2017

About Sitter and Barfoot Veterans Care Center

Sitter and Barfoot Veterans Care Center is a nursing home in Richmond, VA that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Sitter and Barfoot Veterans Care Center for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of Sitter and Barfoot Veterans Care Center