Reviews of San Remo

Posted by Trevor2015 February 27, 2015
1.0

Horrible administration that does not help you but put the blame on you for their mishandling of documents.

Mediocre care staff. They put one LVN and one aide for 16+ patients. If you need immediate assistance you will wait for a long time if it's an emergency.

Do not bring your loved ones here if you need frequent medical attention. They are inattentive to your needs.

Posted by Mom75 January 08, 2015
1.0

Despite more negative reviews vs positive, my family decided to give them a try in hopes of the possibility that they have taken feedback and changed....WRONG! Families BEWARE! Absolutely no true and genuine care for patient..nurse and aids are not friendly or warm at all. We did not have our family member there long and got out of there as quickly as we could. Definitely proves that they are definitely For Profit facility and only cares to make money vs true patient care and customer service...

Posted by Vicki31 January 04, 2015
4.0

My mother is in San Remo -- which is quite a new facility -- and it is very clean. It is very well-maintained, and their staff is extremely friendly. I met the head of maintenance, and they make sure the place is pristine-looking. A dear friend of mom lives there, and they have been a great deal of comfort and companionship for each other playing bingo and listening to Christmas songs.

The facility has a chapel, a gift shop, a beauty shop, a grand piano, a huge fireplace, lounges, physical therapy as well as an occupational therapy room, and a calendar of events. They also have activities like poker and residential meetings. They are doing a good job with my mom, and I appreciate that.

Posted by hhl December 30, 2014
2.0

I would not recommend San Remo. From my perspective the quality of care at the facility is lacking. Their only redeeming factor is their Physical Therapy staff.

My mother was a resident of San Remo for six weeks after hip replacement surgery. Because of the surgery, she had limited mobility and needed assistance to go to the bathroom, get out of bed, bathing, etc. We had numerous issues with the nursing aides that were assigned to her care. The impression that I got was that they didn't care about the treatment of their patients. There are two incidents that stands out.

The first incident occurred three days after she was admitted. My mom needed assistance to go to the bathroom and she called a NA to help her. The aide put her into a wheelchair and helped her get on the toilet. Afterwards, the aide pushed her to the bed and left the room. She left my mother sitting in the wheelchair for almost two hours. The aide did not come back until my mom called for help. And then the aide acted like it was an inconvenience for her to help my mom back into bed. I guess the aide expected an elderly woman that had hip replacement surgery four days prior to be able to get in and out of bed on her own.

The second incident occurred about two weeks before my mother was released and I did not know about it until my mother was released. My mother wanted to bathe and again she called a NA for assistance. The aide helped her onto the shower bench, turned on the water and left. The water was on the cold setting and my mother could not reach the handle. My mother had to take a cold shower. The aide never came back to check on my mom, she only returned when my mother pulled the emergency call cord. And again the aide acted as if it was an inconvenience to help my mother out of the shower.

I called the "Nursing Supervisor" after the first incident with the Nursing Aide. It took me three days and four messages before she returned my call.

A previous review stated that the management has no clue what was going on in the facility. I agree 100% with this assessment.

Posted by stillgrieving December 23, 2014
1.0

My mother was a patient here, and quite frankly, I believe the actions of the staff at San Remo hastened her death. On more than one occasion we showed up unannounced and observed them ignoring her completely. One time I as I walked up the hallway I could hear my mom yelling and begging for water, and the nurse's aide was right outside her door and didn't move. Instead, she just kept messing with stuff on her cart. The aide was shocked to see me there and quickly made excuses as to why she was not attending to my mother. I went into the room and took care of her myself. Then they fed her incorrectly and caused my mother to aspirate food into her lungs. She was transferred to the ER and then to ICU, where she died. The facility itself is lovely, but the staff is complacent and lazy, and the administrators only care about money.

Posted by mutual caring December 03, 2014
2.0

After hearing many positive reviews, we changed our reservations for my dad from another facility to San Remo. The hospital accidentally sent him to the wrong place, resulting in my dad arriving very late, at shift change, and tired and hungry (he's diabetic). Evening staff were friendly and cheerful, saved him a meal, but then ignored my dad for over 30 minutes on the toilet, despite repeated requests to assist him. We finally fed him dinner ourselves- on the toilet- and when 2 nurses arrived (the aide never did come), they seemed unsure of how to put on his diaper, and they did not do anything to assist him walking back to the bed safely- no belt, no arm- and he is very unstable after a stroke. When we told them this, they came a little closer, but then left him alone to walk around the bed towards us, and mostly watched as my sister and I tried to get him in the bed. He was too far down, and they told him to grab the rails and pull himself up instead of lifting him themselves- which was clearly beyond his capacity. In following days, we had to ask repeatedly before diabetic meals were consistently provided, and the plates were still quite carb heavy. A request to assist him in eating- he was a choking hazzard after a stroke- went 100% ignored. While the program administrators seemd to be caring and attentive, the hands on staff seemed in dire need of proper training, especially at night. There was also very inconsistent timing in checking his blood sugar levels. My dad is also a fall risk, but nothing was done to monitor him from getting up at night. We had to suggest leaving the bed all the way low to the ground to minimize risk. He also requires a machine every night for sleep apnea, but I would find him in bed without the machine, gasping in his sleep. The staff were extremely courteous and warm, but not on top of the care. We have yet to see how the physical therapy program turns out, but initial interactions with trainers were very encouraging. They seemed to be very attentive and professional.

Posted by unhappy camper 2014 October 02, 2014
1.0

The community is pretty but there is absolutely NO follow through with the staff. Management does not manage and staff does not care. Trying to get any information is near impossible.

Posted by DisappointedHere April 06, 2014
1.0

Pretty facility and some good people... BUT disappointed with most of the staff. There is definite problem in taking care of patient needs... "It is some one else's job." Night and graveyard shifts were the worst, and management is oblivious. I observed first hand, sadly.

I would not return or recommend this facility.

Posted by Caring77944850 February 27, 2014

My friend is now in San Remo Skilled Nursing and Rehab and she's planning on being there permanently. It is a pretty new facility and they are highly rated. The people that I talk to there are very nice and helpful. They have a doctor if they need one. She seems to be in a very good care there. She likes it there and we are very pleased with them.

Posted by PDQ February 14, 2014
1.0

Pretty, yes. Beyond that, NO! I would absolutely not put an elderly loved one at this place. They are not capable or willing to protect or care for those who truly need critical care nursing help. My poor mother was there for less than 30 hours when she tried to get out of bed, fell, and rebroke her leg, which is why she was there in the first place. After I was adamant that my mother was not following directions and asked that they help her, they did NOTHING to help prevent her from falling and did NOTHING to protect her if she did fall. Then after she tried to get up and fell, she re-broke her leg tearing out the plate and screws that had just been put in. They called me and when I got there she was screaming in pain, yet they would not call 911 and wanted her to wait in pain til they could get their own transportation to arrive from another location 45 minutes away. I had to call 911 myself from San Remo and get my mother taken to the ER in the middle of the night. Then their administrator would not call me back the next day. My mother did not make it through the next surgery and might be alive today if I had not selected San Remo for her. Their care was terrible for an elderly person. They should be ashamed of what they did to my mother. The ER doctor said their inability to protect and care for my mother was inexcusable. Stay away.

Posted by Bill35 January 31, 2014
1.0

San Remo was a five-star rated facility but it was crap. The head staff in the front office was very good, but the floor nurses and nursing aides were very poor. They were not attentive to the personal care of the residents. The apartments were small for what they charged. The only activitiy I saw was physical therapy, I did not see the other activities. The food was good. They should improve the practices of their nurses and nursing aides. I did not like that place at all.

Posted by Caring58465650 October 15, 2013

I've selected San Remo and I absolutely do like the facility. The staff is awesome. I would absolutely recommend this place.

Posted by John 3 November 07, 2012
4.0

San Remo is a new and nice facility. The staff was nice, and the environment was fine.

Medicare Ratings