North Mountain Medical and Rehabilitation Center

9155 North Third Street, Phoenix, AZ, 85020

Top nearby Nursing Homes

Reviews of North Mountain Medical and Rehabilitation Center

Research before placing family here June 14, 2015

My daughter was just placed here. She called me to let me know that she needs Tylenol for her head and the nurse will not provide. I tried to call and speak to the unit supervisor but the phone system does not let you leave a message. TERRIBLE to feel this helpless and not being able to speak to a nurse.

rose51 March 12, 2015

Terrible care and due to my loved one's need for extensive care, no other facilities in our area to take them in -- I had to visit there daily to assure their care -- when they were initially admitted, there were patients outside without a staff person and patients all over the hallways -- that changed during the months of their care -- the facility is dirty and the bedside tray sticky and filthy -- patients not bathed regularly -- being rehabbed but elevators dirty and badly in need of repair and painting -- why not take care of this highly visible area early in the rehab -- got different stories on his care from different nurses -- nurses do not speak English fluently so they can communicate adeqately with yoy -- sadly when he passed, no card or acknowledgement after establishing a relationship with the staff over the many months he unfortunately had to be at this horrible facility. Cards received from his family doctor and the hospital which were touching but nothing from.this facility which had unfortunately been his last residence. Sadly there was nowhere else to place him due to his condition. This facility should be shut down. Would not recommend this facility to my worst enemy.

Concerned reviewer March 05, 2015

One star for Rebecca, the Director of Guest Relations. She did her best to explain why she believes in the place, but I'm sorry, North Mountain is still a dank dungeon. The lobby looks great though. That came first in their remodeling. Shows you their priorities. Patients - zero. Lobby - a perfect 10.

The patient rooms are cramped, dark and stifling. In my mom's room the ceiling plaster was stained & peeling. The metal corner bead in the bathroom and sink area was exposed and rusted from the floor up. Great for elderly people with fragile skin. The linoleum floor bulged in waves. There was thick, dark, sticky goo on the floor below the drawer area that was never cleaned the entire time my mom was there. My mom's tray table was always sticky & dirty.

The rooms are so small that the CNA's had to do 11-point turns to get a wheelchair around the bed. One CNA kept crashing my mom's wheelchair into the walls and one time I had to jump down & quickly flick the footrest away from the wall or my mom's toes would've been crushed. The CNA never even noticed.

1. Unskilled - Most of the nurses & CNA's that my mom had at North Mountain didn't speak English very well. My mom has Alzheimer's & would get very agitated because she couldn't understand her caregivers. One time, one of them actually laughed at my mom for getting frustrated - right in front of me. She was bent over double with laughter while my mom kept getting angrier. Her co-worker had to elbow her & tell her to stop it. They were rough in their manners, their tone, and their care.

2. Understaffed - Some of the staff were very nice and extremely caring. We actually felt sorry for them. They were run off their feet. Never the same nurse twice.

3. Inattentive - Another time, my mom was trying to get out of bed when she wasn't supposed to. The nurse & I stood in front of her to keep her from getting out. The nurse called out to a CNA who was passing by the room to get her a wheelchair from the bathroom. (Yes, the rooms are so small they had to store everything in the bathroom.) The CNA loudly said to the nurse, "It's in the bathroom right there and you can't get it yourself?" Right in front me, the patient's daughter.

Even though my mom couldn't feed herself nobody made sure to feed her. They'd just push the tray table near her & leave. I had to do most of the feeding.

1. Incompetent - One night my mom vomited what looked like coffee grounds. We thought it was something she ate that didn't agree with her. The next night my mom vomited that same stuff. There was a new nurse. We told her about my mom vomiting the same stuff the night before. The nurse was shocked. She said coffee ground vomit is actually blood in the GI tract and protocol requires immediate transport to hospital. The nurses who had seen my mom when she was vomiting blood the night before either never noticed, never knew, or never cared.

Caring91796750 December 07, 2014

I’ve been staying at North Mountain Medical and Rehabilitation Center since May, and I hate it. I’m not satisfied. Very full, a lot of people here. They have amenities, programs, and a 24-hour nursing care at a slow pace. Some of the nursing assistants are not compassionate. When I complain, it gets better for about a week, and then it goes back to the same behavior.

The food is terrible. They made us some ribs on a Sunday, and they were so tough, but when you complain, they’ll say they tried them, and they weren’t tough. They’re happy with the cook. The lady that runs the kitchen is a very nice lady and a very compassionate woman. She does her best to address our concerns, but if she’s not here, they don’t do it properly, and she’s aware of this. The best meal that they do serve here is lunch. A lot of times, dinners are not acceptable.

It’s clean, but the housekeepers don’t come in everyday like they’re supposed to. The room is a little tight. My roommate and I are in wheelchairs. We both are not comfortable in there together because it is so close.

I’m waiting to go to see a foot doctor because they thought I had gangrene on the toes on my right foot. I’d been telling them that my toes have been black since September. They sent someone in to cut my toenails, but that wasn’t the person that will evaluate my feet to let me know whether or not I have gangrene. They’d been treating it here, but I want an x-ray to make sure it’s not spreading anymore.

victemized October 31, 2014

Terrible.. They took my wife social security check without her permission. They billed her for 2 days . When I tried to get them to bill medicare I was given a runaround to assorted people who either don't call back or simply refuse to help. They lie repeatedly. They are the Ives who enjoy other people's suffering. Not one nice person in the entire establishment. Stay away

A Concerned CNA August 19, 2011

This is a skilled care and short-term care facility located near John C. Lincoln Hospital, which has a good reputation and a very good trauma unit. The area is in Sunnyslope, an historical district that has not been kept up. There are not a lot of convenient places to go nearby; the locale is not central.

The facility, which is surrounded by mountains, looks average when you first pull up: a brownish building, with room for 150 beds. But inside, it is very nice and extremely clean"”with a lot of windows allowing light in, pretty artwork, vaulted ceilings, and new furniture arranged in sitting areas throughout where the residents seem to congregate and socialize.

Some more pluses: The facility offers Internet access, hi-definition TV, a big grand piano in the common areas and cable TV in the rooms"”some of which are private and some shared.

Activities offered include music therapy, pet therapy, ice cream socials, arts and crafts, crosswords and magazines and books.

There is a common dining room and the food there is edible"”balanced meals with dessert; the residents don't complain about it.

The staff is friendly and outgoing. Residents with special needs, such as trach care, are well attended. But one possible warning: Most residents have catheters, which could mean they are used as a matter of convenience, rather than making it necessary for staff to help with toilet needs. There are CNAs, RNs, and an LPN on staff, all of whom seem to be well trained in what they're doing"”and to be caring toward the residents, even though they are busy.

The place is beautiful inside, but the care doesn't quite meet expectations.

The cost of private rooms is $7,000 and up; semi-privates go for around $5,300.

About North Mountain Medical and Rehabilitation Center

North Mountain Medical and Rehabilitation Center is a nursing home in Phoenix, AZ that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact North Mountain Medical and Rehabilitation Center for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of North Mountain Medical and Rehabilitation Center

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff

Location of North Mountain Medical and Rehabilitation Center