Manorcare of Palos Heights East

7850 WEST COLLEGE DRIVE, Palos Heights, IL, 60463

Top nearby Nursing Homes

Reviews of Manorcare of Palos Heights East

patriciahanas August 04, 2015

I have had my mother in this Palos East Mannor Care numerous times, She always asks to go back there. The care is really good, but could improve on the quality of food, but they do their best with what they have. The therapy she receives is fantastic, She is 94, and she is walking the stairs and doing a lot of her needs on her own. I cannot say enough about the therapist. They are friendly and really work with the patients. My mother feels sad when she leaves because these people have become her family away from home. They do need more staff as I think the nurses and care people are at a limit for each floor. and there are a lot of rooms. Just remember, that nurses get tired too. Be understanding that they can't be everywhere at once. Try to do what you can for yourself, and if you need them, try and be patient. Always be cheerful and give a smile if you can. They have hard jobs. When my Mother left, her nurse cried, and said how much she was going to miss my mom, and told her that she loved talking with her. You are in charge of how your stay will be, and try and make the most of it. It is to your benefit.

Beyonddissapointed July 05, 2015

My father broke his femur and came here for rehab. My father is also a cardiac patient. He arrived on a Saturday and my mother and I asked about getting him elastic stockings for his legs to reduce swelling. We were told that they would have to order them. He received those on Wednesday. My father informed us that he was not getting his potassium medication. When my mother called to find out why he wasn't receiving his medication, she was told that the doctor did not order it. My mother informed them that he is a cardiac patient, and his cardiologist has him on this medication and a list of his medications were given to the facility. It was a fight to get him back on his potassium. Then, about two weeks later, they changed his medication. Their general practitioner doubled one of his medications and cut another one in half without consulting with the cardiologist that placed him on the medication. Then we come to find out that in the two weeks that he has been here, he has not been given a bath or shower. Other care issues include: my father having to sleep in clothes because he was not changed, yet they laid a hospital gown at the foot of his bed. (Knowing he can't change himself with a broken femur). After pressing his call button it is at least a half an hour before anybody comes in. (It took 35 minutes when I was there). Nobody from the facility sat down with any family member to welcome us or speak about goals or expectations. (This is supposed to be done upon the patient's arrival). There is a nurse that is very good and the pt staff is good also. I'm afraid that they are outnumbered by inadequate caretakers. My father will have to be here for a long time and we are only on week two. :(

Terry43 January 19, 2015

My mother was at ManorCare. They had her on drugs, and there was a period of time in which she said, "Where am I and why I am here?" I asked them what's going on, and they said it's Alzheimer's, but she doesn't have Alzheimer's. So they have been medicating her for something for her age, and I didn't care for that. The facility was fine, but I didn't particularly care for how they were medicating her and for what. The care was satisfactory. As far as I can tell, the help was doing an OK job, but my major complaint was the medication. I couldn't understand that.

Caring99148450 December 22, 2014

My mom has been at the Manorcare rehab for 5 days. The place has really gotten rundown; everything is old and beat up. She’s in a room where all the furniture is scratched. They didn’t even have a Christmas tree up which I think is sad for the patients there. They need some sprucing up. We toured their place because my mom was familiar with it, and it was close to her home. That’s why she’s there right now.

It is clean. Their dining room is on the first floor where everybody can fend for themselves, but when you go to the second and third floor, it’s just plain. After touring a couple of these facilities, it left me cold. One nurse I really didn’t care for, another one was friendly, and there were a couple of aides that I ran into.

Caring97443650 November 13, 2014

Manor Care was adequate; the rooms were clean, but the wallpaper was coming off the wall. The doors would close and it showed its age. My mother was in the skilled nursing facility. The food was good, and the dining area was good. The nurse’s aides were good, but it was hard to get a nurse. I got problems where I thought my mom should go to the hospital, they didn’t think so and then they did send her to the hospital when she should have originally gone.

Caring79373750 February 28, 2014

Mom was at Manorcare for rehab to learn how to walk again after her operation. She fell down and broke her femur. She is 88. We eventually let her out of there. When we first got in there, there was some problems with the reading of the charts. They didn't start the therapy right away because they claimed that they didn't have an order from the doctor for the therapy. It turned out it was in her record all along, buried in the back of her record and they had neglected to see it.

So she went for about two weeks with no therapy right after the operation, and that's the most critical time when she should have the therapy. Then the insurance company finally kicked her out of there, saying that she had plateaued and she still couldn't do anything. So they had to have an intervention and then finally they said okay and let her stay there a little bit longer. All of a sudden she started climbing stairs and walking.

So it was really kind of weird. It was as though they weren't doing much as long as they thought she was going to be in there. But once they found out that, basically, everyone realized that they weren't doing what they say they were doing. All of a sudden they started giving her the therapy. There was mixed up on the meds, too. Mom wasn't getting the pain pills which what the doctor said she should have before she got her therapy.

The place itself was clean enough and the food was okay. It just seemed like their attentiveness to the medical side of the therapy just wasn't there. When you talk to the nurses that were on the floor, they understood and seem very interested in helping. There was just some disconnect going on there somewhere. I was just most impressed with the cleanliness and friendliness of the staff.

Serenity12 February 19, 2014

Read & pay attention to the reviews on this site about ManorCare of Palos Heights East! I felt uncomfortable with this place the second I walked in there. If it was up to me my Dad would have been taken right back out the door, but I have no say so. He is here because it was recommended to his wife by neighbors and people she barely knows! The staff is very unhelpful and uncaring from what I’ve seen & experienced. The people in there are ignored & forgotten about = neglect! When they push the button alerting the staff they (the patient) needs assistance - it is 40 minutes (yes, I timed it & the only reason my Dad got any help was because I went in the hall & said something TWICE) or longer, before anyone shows up! I asked one girl who works here if it’s always this bad around here - she smiles, shrugs her shoulders & says “this is only my first day so I don’t know”. Some of the staff here act like they are being bothered by having to help the patiences. I notice the people here who have no one with them are treated far worse then the ones who have family members by their side. Makes me wonder what will go on if my Dad is ever left alone.
I really don’t know why, except so they can get his medicare money, he is still in here since my mother can do the same thing & more for him at home where he wants & needs to be.

ScaredDaughter August 18, 2013

DO NOT send your loved one here. Other reviews about the surly, unhelpful staff are totally accurate. Compare their standard of care to other facilities, even in terms of general policies. My father has a stage 4 bedsore and they are not keeping any record of repositioning to make sure that it happens according to doctor's orders. We know that they are only repositioning my father half as frequently as the doctor prescribed, but we can't be there 24/7 to make sure it happens. We call and ask about when he was last repositioned and they hedge or lie or HANG UP! Good facilities keep written records of care this important (I know because I've seen it). Ask for help at the nurses' station and the first words out of their mouth to everyone else is "Who has him?" The staff here are very poor, only doing the minimum required of their job. If you advocate for your loved one, staff resent it. The staff here treat patients like objects in a warehouse, it is not a 'care' facility.

Katiest July 20, 2013

Enter at your own risk. They overly medicated so a patient is unable to function.

karen jackson January 11, 2012

I am a caregiver and stayed there 5 days aweek,6hours a day with a friend that is a patient there.The things a seen going on there i would not let my dog stay there.There staff is very unfriendly,they will let you sit in a wet diaper,they won't wash the patients up til they want to.they see your call button on and will just turn there head.Other patients just sitting at the nurse's station sleeping not being taken care of.There is more but that is just some things that i have seen.

whipp January 08, 2012

I am not pleased with the care my dad is receiving, he always looks dirty and his skin is full of dried up soap. You can never get a straight answer from the therapist to see how he is doing, he has been there several weeks and therapy always say this is their 1st. time with him. hmm.

Caring463022 November 20, 2011

Terrible place Mother caught this terrible contact disease their after 2 weeks and they tried to blame it on the hospital. I saw they cleaning her up etc. but her teeth in her mouth and not use or change the gloves they wore.

yummie55 August 17, 2011

I was not very pleased with the care my grandmother received at Manor Care. When we went to visit her patients were lined up in the hallway. We saw several patients trying to ask questions and they were brushed off. My grandmother lost her hearing aid and we were trying to determine where she was during the day and no one had any answers. I was very unhappy with the level of attention given to the patients.

About Manorcare of Palos Heights East

Manorcare of Palos Heights East is a nursing home in Palos Heights, IL that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Manorcare of Palos Heights East for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Manorcare of Palos Heights East

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff

Location of Manorcare of Palos Heights East