Charlwell House

305 Walpole Street, Norwood, MA, 02062

Reviews of Charlwell House

Caring103845150 March 23, 2015

Charwell House looked like a nice place. I could see my wife would be comfortable there. It was a typical nursing home. It had single and shared rooms. They looked clean. Their medical staff looked OK. The atmosphere looked OK. The one thing I was looking for was PT for my wife, and I didn't sense that they had a PT area. I was looking for equipment, and I didn't see that. I saw some equipment there; however, other places had better equipment for physical training.

224 September 10, 2014

My grandmother was a resident of the Charwell House until her recent death. I personally thought the place was awful & never wanted her there. I found the staff at Charwell House in Norwood, MA to be uncaring and inattentive. When patients needed to use the bathroom it could be 20 minutes or more before they respond. At that point it's too late. When they would show up they acted like they were put out. When I was there I assisted my grandmother myself. It smelled on more than one occasion and was outdated. The staff did not want to be bothered to have to respond to alarms or check in on the fall risk or dementia patients so they park them in front of the nurses station to just stare into space for hours. One particular male nurse seemed to never want to be bothered with the patients needs. He was arrogant and sarcastic. There were not enough activities available. I feel the patients were not treated with the respect and dignity they deserve while I was present so I can only imagine what it's like for patients that don't have family regularly present as my grandmother did. My grandmothers recent death was the result of the staff not being attentive to her sudden decline in health. The family was very concerned with her condition and they all at different times over the course of 48 hours made it clear they thought she needed immediate medical attention. One nurse would not even hear my Aunts concerns because her shift was almost over. The others were too busy watching TV to be bothered! Everyone was told not to worry that it was not serious. When it became very clear it was serious it was too late. She passed away before reaching the hospital. None of the staff have once reached out to the family to offer their condolences and it's been several weeks. In my opinion they should be shut down under the current management and staff. It is very sad to see our elderly treated so poorly. I definitely do not recommend the charwell house and would give them negative stars if allowed!

unresponsive July 08, 2014

Our family found a large number of the staff to be uncaring and unresponsive. Food was just left on the tray without covers taken off and the meat left whole for a patient that couldn't cut it for himself. It took the staff a long time to respond to alarms on fall risk patients. The staff was not good about checking to see if the patient needed to go to the bathroom or if they would like a drink. Hours would go by without anyone checking on my family member who had suffered a stroke and was a fall risk.

th1229 June 13, 2012

I thought the older people were left alone a lot and should have had more personal attention. It seems sad that many of them are unable to move around, so they end up sitting in a wheel chair all day by themselves staring off into space. I hate the smell of the place because it smells like pee every time I have ever walked in. I thought the feeding services were okay, and the residents seemed to get enough food. I thought there could be more entertainment too, like games and movies and other interactive things. There were also times when my grandmothers' things had been taken because there is not a lot of privacy or security in the rooms. Residents are discouraged from, but not banned from walking into each others rooms and they sometimes leave with someone else's things. I also thought the staff should have known some of the residents better so that they could have taken care of them in a more personal manner.

About Charlwell House

Charlwell House is a nursing home in Norwood, MA that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Charlwell House for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Charlwell House

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff

Location of Charlwell House