Briarwood Healthcare and Nursing

150 Lincoln Street, Needham, MA, 02492

Reviews of Briarwood Healthcare and Nursing

Concerned of Care November 08, 2013

My Mom was a resident here for 6 years until she recently passed away. There were multiple problems at Briarwood starting with Management who was more about making $$ than Patient care. The A/C was broken during 2 Heat waves in the Summer, Management did nothing about this, so Families had to go out and purchase fans or portable A/C's to combat against the oppressive heat. My Mother never got PT and we were constantly lied to about this, until she lost the ability to walk. A lot of the Nurses had nasty attitudes and could care less about PT care. Most recently and what I believe caused my Mother's death, was the Construction going on and the moving of Patients so they could make way for a short term Rehab. My Mom had a Roommate that belonged on the Alzheimers Unit who screamed all night. My Mom was so weak and sleep deprived and Management could care less. My Mom passed away and their new Director of Nursing came in, offered her condolences, then asked us how long it would take for us to pack up her belongings, because "they were in the service industry and they had to make way for someone else to come into this room. This lack of compassion and disregard for human emotion, just went to prove how cold these people really were. I would not put my loved one in this place, it is the quickest way to death.

NeedhamMA July 05, 2012

Briarwood was an excellent facility with a respectful, professional, and attentive staff. It was a pleasant environment, which is not always the case at assisted living/ nursing homes. There were frequent events that kept the residents entertained, like musicians, dancers, films, etc. They had a fish tank, as well as a dog living on the second floor, so the residents could interact with animals. I had visited other nursing homes in the past that were depressing and dreary, with rude staff and a generally apathetic environment where the elderly did not seem to be thriving at all. This facility was far different- residents had good relationships with staff, and with other visitors. Keeping the mind engaged is important at that age, and Briarwood had really great environment. Some of the healthier residents would play Nintendo Wii and other games. It seemed like visitors were frequent enough and even residents who did not have family visit frequently were kept from being lonely by the staff and friends they made within the facility. The food was good and staff took pains to serve people right with choking hazards, chewing ability, and other food issues in mind. Getting old is not always fun, but in terms of great medical care from superb staff, Briarwood took excellent care of my grandmother during her later years. I would say she did better there than she did living alone when her husband passed away.

Laury May 10, 2012

My sister was at the Briarwood Rehab following an extremely severe encephalitis attack. She was in a coma for a few days, and she was not lucid or coherent for about two or three months. Most of her visitors did not expect her to live and I think some of the staff didn't expect her to live.

I visited her daily, and I was happily amazed at the high-level care, compassion, encouragement, and patience the staff exhibited. They exhibited these traits and were never abrupt with her, even when she was extremely sick, incoherent, and uncommunicative. She very slowly, but completely, recovered from her illness. She is presently 90 years old, and she is still living alone in her single-family house.

SheilaGPranskyGCM July 21, 2011

I know Briarwood well. I've had patients there, I've been to lots of meetings there (as a geriatric care manager), I know the staff pretty well, and I have a friend whose mom was there. It's right up the street from the hospital in Needham and a short distance from downtown. They have a unit primarily for rehabilitation, a unit for specialized care (mostly end of life dementia care) and long-term skilled nursing care.

It's a older 2-story brick building--in good condition.

The nursing is quite good. The CNAs are adequate; the care is good but basic.

The food is just adequate. I've eaten with residents, and it's pretty institutional. The activities are also just adequate. They do a lot outdoors in their garden, which is a good. Otherwise, they offer mostly mundane activities.

One other plus: It's privately owned by an individual who's involved in the community and very interested in making sure it's well run.

Overall, it's a little better than a 3 but not quite a 4.

About Briarwood Healthcare and Nursing

Briarwood Healthcare and Nursing is a nursing home in Needham, MA that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Briarwood Healthcare and Nursing for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Briarwood Healthcare and Nursing

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff

Location of Briarwood Healthcare and Nursing