Cypresswood Health and Rehabilitation Center

Top Nearby Nursing Homes

Reviews of Cypresswood Health and Rehabilitation Center

May 09, 2013

By Son_n_Law

My Mother-in-Law was there for 5 years suffering from Alzheimer's. During this time she received very good care and we got to know the staff which was probably under staffed, but they worked hard and took good care of her. The staff always said hello and smiled every time we visited and were knowledgeable about my Mother's-in-Law condition. It took awhile for me to understand that they are not a hospital and not to expect hospital type care. That being said, she was bathed regularly, fed 3 good meals a day with snacks in between and kept clean very quickly after soiling herself. She was also moved from her bead to a wheelchair and later on into a recliner type chair. She was not in bed all day, but was moved around to different rooms for variety. We were always getting phone calls from the staff whenever anything happened to her, such as falling out of the bed or bumping her head, etc. She once got a bad case of the shingles in her hair and they called us and the doctor immediately to get her proper medical care. They then looked after her carefully until the shingles healed up. There are more up-scale nursing homes where the food is better, but I didn't see a major difference in staff care or cleanliness of the facility. Cypresswood always smelled decent. Any urine odors were due to a patient just soiling themselves and the staff was cleaning it up, but the facility as a whole did not have any major odor problems. As the Alzheimer's progressed to it's final stages we called in Hospice for additional care. Cypresswood worked closely with them to provide the best care possible. She recently passed away in her sleep without being in pain or uncomfortable.

February 06, 2013

By Traditio

My dad has been at this facility for 3 weeks now. The under staffing is a huge problem causing the residents to receive poor care. The entire facility smells horrible all the time. The food is little more than slop. My dad has dementia and has managed to escape from the facility thru there secure doors 3 or 4 times already. Workers are friendly but due to inadequate staffing are unable to care for the residents properly, Rehabilitation unit is excellent though. I am transferring my dad to a secure unit ASAP. Cypresswood please get more staff.

November 24, 2012

By Skyprincess

This place is a disgrace. My family checked our father into this place on a Monday night and had him out of there by the foloowing Friday. The accommodations there are disgusting. My father's bed was about a a foot too short, the furniture was outdated and the feeling while in the facility is just filth. I would feel sorry for the employees there if they weren't so lazy. The employees are NOT given the proper tools to do their jobs. They ration out ONE towel and ONE washcloth as needed. Don't ask for more than ONE! The physician ordered my father's catheter removed and we had to go and buy my father a urinal at the local Walgreen's! The facility does not supply these. (Or we were told that they don't). My father is confined to bed and the facility and staff were very aware of this. Ken, the administrator of this facility is a joke! If you complain about anything he becomes very defensive. I knew my suspicions were correct about this place when I would speak to any of the employees about my dad being moved to a different facility. EVERY employee that I spoke with about moving my father would lower their voice and tell me that I was doing the right thing. When more than one employee told me the same thing and in the same manner, I knew I had to get him out of there. We were told that no one was allowed to stay overnight with my father. The first night that he was left alone, he fell out of bed!!! Then and only then were we allowed to stay with him. There is nothing wrong with my father's mental state. He told us that he fell out of bed and the nurses DENIED that he did. We believed our father. I don't know if they just weren't wanting to write a report or what. The proper authorities have been notified about this facility. I hope the poop is about to hit the fan at this place soon! They need to be closed down!!! If you truly love someone please do NOT place them at this facility!!!

August 25, 2012

By JT1

If I could give this place a rating worse than 1 star, I would. We had to put my mother in this place due to her Huntington's chorea. She was in Cypresswood Health and Rehab. for approx. 2 weeks before she choked on her food. If that isn't resident negligence, I don't have an inkling of what is. She was presumably in the cafeteria when she was eating, which is virtually right next to a nurse's station. She must have been choking for a full minute, and not one staff member "noticed". And the condition of the building itself shows that Cypresswood deserves 1 star. The rooms of the residents are all incredibly dark, and quite frankly, the entire facility smells like human excrement. I saw on their calendar that they have social activities planned for everyday, but I saw that every single resident looked deeply depressed. I am not exaggerating! Every single resident. I also read reports of Cypresswood's employees frequently stealing some of the residents' belongings! This facility doesn't even deserve half of a star.

December 19, 2011

By Candy L.

My sister is a resident of this facility. She has terminal cancer and will not be with us much longer. Her husband visits her often and has recently been banned from returning to the facility. This was the first any of us heard about there being any kind of problem with his behavior. He is a little different but is harmless, like a child. We weren't given an opportunity to have him change his behavior, he was just banned. My sister is going to die very soon. She needs to see him and he needs to see her! This is a perfect example of how the office staff behaves not to mention the complete disrespect the nursing staff has for the residents. My sister has also had clothes and possesions like a brand new IPAD2 and gift cards. One of the staff members was caught using one of the gift cards.

Features of Cypresswood Health and Rehabilitation Center

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 05/01/2017

About Cypresswood Health and Rehabilitation Center

Cypresswood Health and Rehabilitation Center is a nursing home in Houston, TX that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Cypresswood Health and Rehabilitation Center for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of Cypresswood Health and Rehabilitation Center