Highland House | Nursing Home

2201 NW HIGHLAND AVENUE, Grants Pass, OR, 97526

Reviews of Highland House | Nursing Home

LuvMyMum November 18, 2011

After my 87 year old Mother broke her shoulder in a late evening bathroom runin which she fell. Her Doctor ordered two to six weeks of in house rehabilitation and gave us two choices covered by her health insurance in our local area. We chose Highland House as others we know have stayed there.Highland House located in North Grants Pass is a unique long or short stay assisted living facility and rehabilitation center having both private and shared rooms. Two lovely apartment type rooms are available to prepare a person for leaving for home. My Mom was going to stay in one for a few days, so we were able to view it; it was just wonderful as it resembled a small studio with a complete kitchen. The decorating was amazing with a very large wood antique bed frame with frillywhite lacy bedding! They have gone to extremes in every aspect for this inexpensive in comparison assisted living facility.When we first entered the center we were greeted by several of the residents sitting in the living room area decorated warmly including leather furniture; I have heard they decorate it beautifully for each Holiday.My mother arrived late in the afternoon and was not too pleased, but under heavy medication. I was very observant as this was my first experience with my mother being placed in what she called prior to her stay, a Nursing HomeAnd well, we all hear horror stories right. Mom was shone her shared room, introduced to the lady she would be sharing with and admitted to the assisted living facility by a very welcoming nurse.During this hour everything seemed to be quite busy and there were some red flags such as one of the nurses left a syringe on my mothers bedside table that belonged to her last patient. That was horrible and I was scared to death and quickly drew it to the head nurses attention. This being the worst thing that happened in the weeks she was there. Our family members took turns daily to be there with her so she would feel comfortable while getting the rehabilitation she needed.Daily we watched the nurses in their kindness attending to needs such as bathroom. Being busy sometimes the residents were left longer than they wanted in the restrooms. I asked my Mom daily about such things. She would tell me overall things were good, but she did get left in the bathroom one time; too long, in her opinion. Meals looked very good there and the choice to go to the dining room was always an option with or without help from a CNA or a guide.The center has framed art work done by the residents in each of the hallways. Each hallway has a theme with names such as Tulip wayto help the resident and others find their way around to places such as the dining room which doubles for several of their activities such as church meetings, fiddle playing, singing and crafts. In this same hallway is a beauty salon which did a pretty good job on my Moms hair with a quick spur of the moment appointment. I did not like having Mom away; however feel that she received the care she needed at Highland House and over all would recommend it and feel it was a positive experience for us.

Show 1 More Review Show Fewer Reviews - Write a Review

About Highland House

Highland House is a nursing home in Grants Pass, OR that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Highland House for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Highland House

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff
  • Medicare Provider Number 385149

Location of Highland House