Meadowbrook Care Center

320 WEST MERRICK ROAD, Freeport, NY, 11520

Top nearby Nursing Homes

Reviews of Meadowbrook Care Center

trish7714 July 28, 2013

My relative was admitted to Meadowbrook for short term rehab. I wouldn't put a dog in this center. My relative was degraded, ignored. My relative came to the center utilizing a bedpan or toilet . That was not an option given to her. She was told to urinate in her diaper. The first night she was saturated because no one came in after she buzzed all nite. Another nite she buzzed and when no one came in in a timely fashion she urinated in her diaper and when an aide eventually came in, she was told to finish urinating in her diaper. A bed alarm was put on for what reason I don't know and it was set off by her moving around in the bed. No one came to turn off the alarm or check on her for 20 min. We left the room so I don't know when anyone showed up to silence the alarm. There was never anyone at the nurses station. All you saw was staff members on their phones in the lobby area. Oh, I almost forgot. When she was admitted , the prior residents clothing, bedpan and toiletries were still in the room. Nothing was cleaned. Should have known then what our experience was going to be like. I do not recommend this center at all

me1456 December 22, 2012

My experience with the Meadowbrook Care Center was very positive. My father was in the end stages of cancer and he was admitted to the hospice area of the facility. The first thing I noticed about the center was that the patients looked happy and well taken care of. The second thing I noticed was that the facility was very clean. The staff could not have been nicer. They went above and beyond their duties to my father. I could call anytime of day or night and was always able to speak to a nurse on my fathers floor. The nurses and staff did not leave my father unattended at all. Even overnight a nurse slept in his room in case he woke up. Not only did they attend to my dads every need, they also took the time to answer any and every question my mom or I had. They truly made the last weeks of his life better for him, as well as the rest of my family. I would highly recommend Meadowbrook Care Center to anybody needing the services of a nursing home in the Nassau County area.

KC13 June 12, 2012

My dad suffered from severe Alz and was also handicapped from arthritus, which added to the complexity of managing him. We removed him from one facility after a week and moved him to Meadowbrook Care. They were marvelous. The place was immaculate, everyone is dressed and clean. Employees were professional and courteous and most understanding of the conditions we were dealing with. They put dad in mild rehab sessions which we could observe. There was weekly entertainment and a comfortable setting for meals. We tried to be there daily but felt he was always being watched when we left or could not make it.

Caring389018 July 26, 2011

My grandmother moved here in June '11 to receive long-term care. The facility is beautifully designed and spotless. There is no "nursing home" smell and there are lots of pleasant, sunny alcoves where residents can sit with their family members. There is an ice cream parlor where residents get complimentary ice cream, a gift shop, and a library (with large-print books)! My grandmother loves all of these perks -- they definitely make being in a nursing home a little less scary.

She also really appreciates the physical/occupational therapy department. She likes the daily attention they give to her condition (a broken ankle that caused loss of walking ability). The therapy room is attractive and she enjoys going there. When I visited recently, one of the occupational therapists struck up a conversation with my grandmother in the hallway; it showed that she really cared. The head nurses give my grandmother quality care and answer all of her questions.

The cons: Like all other nursing homes, there is a lot of red tape here. If you want to get something done, it's not always easy. My grandmother often has a lot of trouble getting a nurse or CNA to assist her in her room. Sometimes I have to call the nurse's station from home and urge them to assist her with bathroom needs, etc. It seems like the residents whose families make the most noise are the most cared for.

If I could change one thing about this place, it would be the attitudes of the CNAs. Many are sweet and attentive, but others often refuse to help with everyday tasks unless practically forced. One time I called the nurse's station to request that someone be sent to my grandmother's room (she had called me), and one of the CNAs flat-out lied and said that my grandma had been dressed and washed for the day. But my grandmother said she was still in bed in her nightgown! Eventually, someone came and helped her get ready. This was on a weekend, when the staff is significantly smaller... I wish they had a larger staff!

But really, these issues are downsides of any nursing home (unfortunately), not just this one. All in all, Meadowbrook is a really nice place and is as homey as possible given the circumstances. I would definitely recommend it.

About Meadowbrook Care Center

Meadowbrook Care Center is a nursing home in Freeport, NY that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Meadowbrook Care Center for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Meadowbrook Care Center

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff

Location of Meadowbrook Care Center