Meadowbrook Care Center

Top Nearby Nursing Homes

Reviews of Meadowbrook Care Center

March 11, 2017

By taylortannazzo

My family and I sent my grandmother here for hospice care. It was probably the best care she received throughout her battle. The staff was extremely compassionate, friendly, and demonstrated a sense of urgency to whatever her needs were. They were extremely careful, gentle, and really provided her with the upmost respect and care she needed towards the end of her life. The facility was clean, modernized, and kept neat. It was such a relief to my family and I knowing she was in good hands.

January 15, 2017

By Gorgojito

My Mom was a resident since around October of 2015. I had two very critical surgeries myself and decided to have physical therapy at this place. First surgery, I stayed admitted for one month and the second time for another month. I live only 7 minutes away from the facility. I was with my Mom every day for around 7 to 9 hours. I was discharged August 4th. 2016. My Mom’s birthday was August 30Th. Still until August the 11th ready to go to “this” place that I WOULD RECOMMEND TO ANYONE. I got a phone call to go there at once. My Mom was perfectly okay, despite the fact that she came from another disgraced nursing home where she caught a leg infection. Her legs had to be checked by the medical staff in this new facility every day. I never brought her back to the first nursing home. My Mom was saved by a local hospital which told me that it was a medical negligence. My Mom was always complaining about her legs and her stomach. I NEVER SAW A NURSE OR A STAFF MEMBER CHECKING HER LEGS. FOR ALL THE HOURS THAT I SPENT WITH MY MOM 7 DAYS A WEEK, THE DOCTOR NEVER CAME TO HER ROOM TO CHECK UP ON HER. August the 6th, I went to the nurse station and asked a nurse to give my Mom oxygen for around 15 minutes from that tube coming out the wall. She came and she put the mask on my Mom’s face. 15 minutes later she came back to take the mask off and my Mom was totally okay again. Next afternoon again, around the same time I went back to the nurse station and luckily the same nurse was there and I asked the same thing and everything was okay once again. Just 15 minutes that’s all it took. The third day as I was walking thru the hallway to get to my Mom’s room and that same nurse and I walked toward each other and right away she told me this: Ohhhhhhh the doctor says that no oxygen for your Mom unless her blood pressure goes down to 40. I don’t even know my own blood pressure so I thought it was okay. When I got there on August 11th after they called me and I saw my Mom with the same mask and she couldn’t move anything not even her eyes. I DEMANDED AN AMBULANCE. At the local hospital several nurses and two doctors and I know their names told me that IT WAS A VERY BAD INFECTION IN HER LEGS FROM MEDICAL NEGLIGENCE. My Mom was perfectly okay and in just a matter of hours passed away on August the 12th at 3:20 pm. Days after I wanted questions answered and went back to that place again, now I only got ugly faces looking at me because I was asking questions. NOBODY, ABSOLUTELY NOBODY KNEW anything about an oxygen mask applied to my Mom’s face by this female nurse, nor instructions in the computer, nor a log book, nor cameras showing the nurse walking to my Mom’s room with the oxygen mask. The Administrator herself not only in front of everyone in the hallway in front of strangers and staff told me my Mom’s medical records for everyone to hear. There’s absolutely no evidence about that nurse and the oxygen mask. Only in my iPhone 6 s Plus then now 7 Plus and a video of my Mom that I took with the mask on her face showing the date and time. All the medical staff starting from the Administrator and the male sub administrator, Doctor and Nurse Supervisors: NOBODY APPLIED AN OXYGEN MASK TO MY MOM’S FACE. Thank God for the Technology these days. They still denied it right to my face.

October 03, 2016

By WILL325

My friend's Mom was a resident of the facility. Yes, the place is very clean. What I have witnessed is that some of the staff can be rude to the residents. If the patient needs help and rings the bell; if the aid assigned to the patient is on break or lunch, the patient must wait until the break or lunch is over to get help. My friend's Mom was supposed to get her legs checked daily. Her legs were not checked. She also needed oxygen and the facility physician told the aid to only administer oxygen if her blood pressure drops below 40. She was also supposed to have frequent blood work which she didn't get. I believe that my friend's Mom needed help and no one answered her call. She was rushed unconscious to Nassau Communities Hospital, She never regained consciousness and passed away in one day.

October 06, 2013

By syd s

My mothers has been a resident at the Meadowbrook going on 6 yrs. She is getting the best care possible. She is 101 years young. If she would have stayed at the other facility I do not think she would be here today. At the Meadowbrook she is getting the very best of care. I would not hesitate to recommend the Meadowbrook to any one looking for that extra helping hand.

September 12, 2013

By Ellie2

We're all set. My mother is now in Meadowbrook Care Center. We opted for this nursing home because of the location and because of the recommendations we received for it. The place is clean. Its location is convenient for us. The staff is helpful. They made the transition from rehab to long-term care very easy for me. They are doing what they're supposed to be doing. My mom is in a shared room. It is clean and spacious enough. Her bed is positioned low so that I don't have to worry about my mother falling out of bed. They do have activities like bingo, etc. but my mother doesn't really participate in much. They also have a patio upstairs where they could bring their patients outside and get fresh air.

August 03, 2013

By nosecondchance

My father was admitted to Meadowbrook for a respitory disorder, He was there for physical therapy and to be weened off of a vent. What I experience was not positive. From day one when I approached the attending physician with questions he was defensive and combative and told me if I did not like the treatment my father was getting I could look somewhere else. That was even before he explained what course of action would be taken to help. My father was unnecessarily sedated and tied to his bed after I was told that he tried to get up. I was also told that the reason for the meds was he was depressed and had beginning stages of alzheimers-- neither which was true. On many occassions a nurse or aid was called to assist with my father, but to no avail. I was even lied to by the attending when we set up a meeting to discuss my father's progress only to find out the Dr. was on vacation the day we scheduled the meeting. My options were limited due to my father's condition. I would not recommend this facility to anyone whose loved one cannot be monitored constantly by their family or friends or fend for themselves on a temporary basis.

July 29, 2013

By Marvin4

Meadowbrook is a relatively small and new nursing home. It's excellent and very good. The nursing home looks very clean. The food was served very well in their cafeteria or in the room. It was very nice. They had rehabilitation and it was excellent because they push the patients to do the rehab. The staff are very caring.

July 28, 2013

By trish7714

My relative was admitted to Meadowbrook for short term rehab. I wouldn't put a dog in this center. My relative was degraded, ignored. My relative came to the center utilizing a bedpan or toilet . That was not an option given to her. She was told to urinate in her diaper. The first night she was saturated because no one came in after she buzzed all nite. Another nite she buzzed and when no one came in in a timely fashion she urinated in her diaper and when an aide eventually came in, she was told to finish urinating in her diaper. A bed alarm was put on for what reason I don't know and it was set off by her moving around in the bed. No one came to turn off the alarm or check on her for 20 min. We left the room so I don't know when anyone showed up to silence the alarm. There was never anyone at the nurses station. All you saw was staff members on their phones in the lobby area. Oh, I almost forgot. When she was admitted , the prior residents clothing, bedpan and toiletries were still in the room. Nothing was cleaned. Should have known then what our experience was going to be like. I do not recommend this center at all

December 22, 2012

By me1456

My experience with the Meadowbrook Care Center was very positive. My father was in the end stages of cancer and he was admitted to the hospice area of the facility. The first thing I noticed about the center was that the patients looked happy and well taken care of. The second thing I noticed was that the facility was very clean. The staff could not have been nicer. They went above and beyond their duties to my father. I could call anytime of day or night and was always able to speak to a nurse on my fathers floor. The nurses and staff did not leave my father unattended at all. Even overnight a nurse slept in his room in case he woke up. Not only did they attend to my dads every need, they also took the time to answer any and every question my mom or I had. They truly made the last weeks of his life better for him, as well as the rest of my family. I would highly recommend Meadowbrook Care Center to anybody needing the services of a nursing home in the Nassau County area.

June 12, 2012

By KC13

My dad suffered from severe Alz and was also handicapped from arthritus, which added to the complexity of managing him. We removed him from one facility after a week and moved him to Meadowbrook Care. They were marvelous. The place was immaculate, everyone is dressed and clean. Employees were professional and courteous and most understanding of the conditions we were dealing with. They put dad in mild rehab sessions which we could observe. There was weekly entertainment and a comfortable setting for meals. We tried to be there daily but felt he was always being watched when we left or could not make it.

July 26, 2011

My grandmother moved here in June '11 to receive long-term care. The facility is beautifully designed and spotless. There is no "nursing home" smell and there are lots of pleasant, sunny alcoves where residents can sit with their family members. There is an ice cream parlor where residents get complimentary ice cream, a gift shop, and a library (with large-print books)! My grandmother loves all of these perks -- they definitely make being in a nursing home a little less scary. She also really appreciates the physical/occupational therapy department. She likes the daily attention they give to her condition (a broken ankle that caused loss of walking ability). The therapy room is attractive and she enjoys going there. When I visited recently, one of the occupational therapists struck up a conversation with my grandmother in the hallway; it showed that she really cared. The head nurses give my grandmother quality care and answer all of her questions. The cons: Like all other nursing homes, there is a lot of red tape here. If you want to get something done, it's not always easy. My grandmother often has a lot of trouble getting a nurse or CNA to assist her in her room. Sometimes I have to call the nurse's station from home and urge them to assist her with bathroom needs, etc. It seems like the residents whose families make the most noise are the most cared for. If I could change one thing about this place, it would be the attitudes of the CNAs. Many are sweet and attentive, but others often refuse to help with everyday tasks unless practically forced. One time I called the nurse's station to request that someone be sent to my grandmother's room (she had called me), and one of the CNAs flat-out lied and said that my grandma had been dressed and washed for the day. But my grandmother said she was still in bed in her nightgown! Eventually, someone came and helped her get ready. This was on a weekend, when the staff is significantly smaller... I wish they had a larger staff! But really, these issues are downsides of any nursing home (unfortunately), not just this one. All in all, Meadowbrook is a really nice place and is as homey as possible given the circumstances. I would definitely recommend it.

Features of Meadowbrook Care Center

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 05/01/2017

About Meadowbrook Care Center

Meadowbrook Care Center is a nursing home in Freeport, NY that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Meadowbrook Care Center for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of Meadowbrook Care Center