Willowbrook Manor

4436 Beecher Rd, Flint, MI, 48532

Reviews of Willowbrook Manor

April 18, 2015

By Concerned4ourelderly

This facility is no longer rated a 5 star facility. I am posting this out of concern for our elderly, and to educate family before they make a decision pertaining the right nursing home to care for their loved ones. My mom was in Willowbrook in 2014 due to a fall at home and ongoing forgetfullness. When my husband and I visited Willowbrook before placing my mom there for rehab and possibly longterm care, it appeared to be clean, well lighted and many activities provided daily for the residents. If we had only looked deeper than such superficial things such as my mom's name being on the door, or was she sitting up in a chair with nice flowers and pictures nearby. The most important questions to ask are: 1.) How many residents are cared for by a nurse (how many patients does one staff member RN have) 2.) How many nurse aids are available on the same floor as the RN taking care of my loved one? Willowbrook had one single nurse passing multiple medications- I saw a nurse give 18 pills to one resident at one time. I am certain this resident needed the medicine but then that one nurse had to keep passing medications to 26 more patients. I was there everyday and I heard the nurses talking...and I also heard them crying because not only were they responsible for caring for 27 patients, they changed their wound dressings, assisted the aides(they only ever had 2 aides and they were overworked and the call lights went off continuously.) The nurses had to pass these important medications, heart diabetes, high blood pressure and also answer 27 different patients family members questions and complaints, do medical procedures, run back and forth to the rehab unit or cafeteria to find their patients in order to give them medicine, I even saw a confused yet angry patient bite and kick the staff on a daily basis. The nurse aids cannot take care of that many patients safely and the nurse most certainly cannot. Bless her heart my mom's nurse never was able to take a lunch or even a break because her work was never finished. I never saw management helping with any sort of care for the patients. Management went to some sirt of meeting every single day and we were told they were unavailable for questions or concerns during these meetings. Every morning I was there at 9am and every morning I would see 10-15 people go into a big room and shut the door and not come back out again until lunchtime. This place was very chaotic with the phone ringing constantly at the nurses station but the nurses were busy taking care of their patients. One time I witnessed who I believe to be a manager (per name tag) walk by 3 rooms that had call light flashing on and off and patients asking for help but that person just kept walking to the nurses station. When she got there she got on the phone and called over speakerhead for the nurse and the nurse aids that were working down that hall she just walked passed. Then I saw the nurse come out of a patient's room dressed in sterile blue clothing and wearing a mask and gloves. She got yelled at because she didn't know where her nursing aides were. Well the nurse was doing a sterile procedure and her only 2 aides were using this metal mechanical device to transfer a large patient from her bed because this patient was not strong enough and was too big to be transferred by even 2 people. So i listened to 3 hard working girls get yelled at by soneone who just walked by 3 call lights and patients asking for help. But this was right after this person sat in a 2 hour meeting while the only staff available were working as fast as they could. They were all good workers. It was just impossible to care for so many people without more help. Please look at more than a hair salon or how good the food is before you send a loved one into a facility to be "cared for" by one single nurse while that nurse is meeting the needs of 27 other patients who need her at the same time. My mom once waited 4 hours to urinate because there was an emergency on the floor and there were no available staff to help transfer my mom to the toilet from her wheelchair.

February 25, 2015

By Cheryl106680150

I had my mother in Willowbrook Manor. It was a very beautiful place. The room was beautiful. My mother was in a semi-private room, and there were two of them in the room with plenty of room to move around because most of them were in wheelchairs. So they had an absolutely large room, they had bird feeders on the outside, and there were flowered courtyards around the building. It was a lovely building, very clean, and very pleasant. The staff was absolutely great; my mother got along with all of them. They had activities every day -- arts and crafts, different games, computer classes, quilting -- so there were a number of activities for the residents. They had guests coming in from the outside. My church group came in a couple of weeks ago and did a sing-a-long with them. There was always something going on. The dining area was lovely. Most of the food was geared towards special diet, and my mom wasn't necessarily on a special diet, so she ate breakfast and lunch, and I brought her dinner from home. The food was good; I didn't have a problem with it. I really liked Willowbrook because everything was on one floor, and mom could move around and wheel around really well. The rehabilitation was in another wing in the building, and she could wheel around there or go out into the courtyard.

July 20, 2014

My mom-in-law is at Willowbrook Manor. It got good ratings on the website. I really don't like the rooms because there are three people in one room, so it was kind of crowded. I don't think that the staff are attentive enough, especially to the families. They don't really relay a lot of information to the families about what kind of care the patient is receiving. She is not participating in anything because she doesn't want to, but they do have activities. They do arts and crafts and puzzles.

September 05, 2012

By Sydney 1

I visited my Aunt on September 3, 2012. She is in for rehab. I was not impressed. It appears that, according to the nurse's aid, they had run out of food and she did not get a tray. This had also happened the day before at breakfast. The food "they found" to serve her was horrible and looked cold. The tv had not been placed in her room. The roommate was discharged on the day my Aunt arrived and by Monday the bed still had not been made or her side of the room cleaned up. The excuses were the facility was short-staffed because of the holiday, well if you cannot provide quality care because of the holiday the facility should not accept patients at that time. I am sure that the $$ the rehab patients bring in is more than enough to cover hot food and full staff on the weekends. As I said, I was not impressed and will not recommend this facility to those with the need for rehab services.

June 25, 2012

By msmelissab

When I walked into the nursing place, I was happy it smelled great. I did not smell any urine or odor. I was also excited to see a tv room, hair salon and game room. I was confused on why none of the staff asked me for ID. I thought that was very unsafe. As I wondered the halls looking for my family member, I noticed all the patients were fully dressed and sitting in chairs. I must say, the patient's rooms were outdated. All of the dressers looked old and broken down. I also thought the peeling wallpaper was not attractive. When I found my family member's room, I was happy to see her name on the door yet, I thought it was a conflict of privacy. When I entered my grandma's room, I was so pleased to see her sitting up in a chair listening to her favorite music. I was also pleased to see her cards, gifts and flowers were nicely displayed. I always enjoy visiting Willowbrook. I just wish the staff would be more friendly to me.

Features of Willowbrook Manor

Medicare (ratings last updated: 07/07/17)

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 06/01/2017

About Willowbrook Manor

Willowbrook Manor is a nursing home in Flint, MI that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Willowbrook Manor for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of Willowbrook Manor