Care One At The Highlands

1350 Inman Avenue, Edison, NJ, 08820

Top nearby Nursing Homes

Reviews of Care One At The Highlands

hoja March 07, 2016

HORRIBLE PLACE !!!!! If patient cannot get up and help themselves, then they are doomed. Takes forever for nurse or aid to come if ever ! Daily hygiene is a joke, teeth brushing....forget it. Floors are not cleaned daily. Aid complained about having to move patient in lounge chair because the chair is heavy to push.....duh !!! It's what you are getting paid for ! When going to desk for info or help, you are ignored...no one lifts their head to acknowledge you, I know they are busy but after 5 minutes you'd think someone would ask if they could help you. Food is dry and over cooked....better bring food to the patient when you visit. The phone and nurse button, when it works, is usually put on a table where the patient cannot reach it. Patient cannot leave bed yet someone used and left the bathroom a MESS, toilet was not even flushed. Patient was not put in night clothes, slept in clothes they wore all day. I know these places are under staffed, so why keep accepting people or just hire more help......and people that care about helping ! Events are held for the patients but no one responds to take them to the proper room. Each time I visit it's always a negative experience. I thought Genisis in Westfiled was bad, had a relative there once, this place is worse. There is one physical therapist that actually does care and has a heart, an angel....thank God !!! Not sure there is a nice nursing-rehab center anywhere, only visited 3 in my life and I pray to God that this patient gets well and never has to go to another so-called nursing home. This place does not "nurse" or has any feeling of a "home"......should not be called a nursing home. Care One is in need of rehab !!!

Lucido December 15, 2015

My father in law was directed from Rahway hospital, he was basically pushed to this place, the social worker gave my wife several choices and then said he has to go to a place were the doctor is associated? Upon transfer the problems began. First, they lost his dentures, communication with staff was non existent, no one could give any information, even doctors said I don't know. The place is filthy,food on floors and ceiling for the 2 days he was there, my wife transferred him to another that looked a little better. BE ADVISED IF YOU HAVE A LOVED ONE IN ANY OF THESE PLACES YOU NEED TO BE VIGILANT, WATCHING EVERYTHING

debbiek60 July 08, 2015

My mother was pushed into this facility on Christmas Eve by the hospital after surgery on Dec 23rd for a diabetic ulcer on the side of the foot resulting in the loss of a toe. She was moved to the facility to receive intravenous IV antibiotics for 10 days. at age 78, mom is an independent woman who still works. Where do I begin? There are too many patients and not enough staff. Some nurses and aides are great but some lazy and do not offer assistance. The physical therapy department does not do a thorough evaluation of the patient or confirm their limitations with a physician. Mom was put through pt on Christmas day & after 2 addt'l days of pt, her muscles atrophied and required assistance to get into a wheelchair and to use the bathroom. (She went in able to move herself from the bed to the commode in the hospital) She is also an insulin dependent diabetic on a sliding scale, however, it was an issue with the nursing staff to be able to adjust the insulin as she does at home. All orders have to be exact with no leeway. This resulted in her sugar dropping early in the am and attempts to call for assistance were slow or un responsive. I brought in our own orange juice and snacks for mom to treat herself. She also developed a small bed sore of which I asked the head RN's and staff to check and treat but they did nothing. We were told by the hospital that the physician who treated mom in the hospital was attending there and he was not; it was an associate physician who was nice but knew nothing about mom. In one instance my mother called me at home to get a nurse for assistance to use bathroom (after the excessive pt & could not move out of bed on her own) because for 45 minutes both my mother and her room mate called for nurses and no one responded. I had to call the nurses station and get someone to go to the room. The nurse was clueless. When I arrived a half hour later, every room light signal was blinking and staff was in short supply. I spent every day in the administrative office complaining or question what they were doing. I had visited this place prior to mom being admitted and thought it was okay. It was not.

Titi82 May 20, 2015

This place was horrible. My mom had a stroke and the physical therapy dept horrible! Every time you asked a question the answer would be we have I look into it. Mom is home now, we have a physical therapist coming to the house. He said he wouldn't even send a dog to this place! Stay away.

Caring90574050 August 20, 2014

Mom came from Care One. She was there for 3 months. The rooms were dark and dreary. The rooms were more hospital-like and institutional, and they had only limited activities. They didn't have a lot of things for them to do. The food was OK.

As good as the staff was, they could hire more. They're kind of stretched thin. When she first got there, she ate in the room, and then she went to the dining room, which was nice. The dining room was spacious.

Janet38 October 24, 2013

My mother was at CareOne for 7 months. The actual hands-on nursing staff, the nurses and aides were absolutely wonderful. The rooms were beautiful and the design of the facility was very comforting and it looked like you're at home. It had a very nice atmosphere, however, I was disappointed in the physical therapy department. They did a lot of rush physical therapy. They got everyone up and out early in the morning and they essentially just took the people to places and actually just sat them there and didn't really do much with them. They would take them back to their rooms and then bill Medicare. I wasn't pleased with that and they did very little with my mother because she has stroke and they needed to actually do the physical therapy on her and they weren't interested in doing that.

bob9 June 29, 2012

When first entering the facility, the staff in the reception area was very friendly and welcoming. I witnessed a new resident her family being given a tour of the more "public" areas. Going further into the facility, however, revealed a different story entirely. The nurses and other caregivers seemed to be doing only the bare minimum, oftentimes being abrupt if not flat-out rude to the residents. On several occasions, I noticed patients asking basic questions of the caregivers (eg. "when is the food coming?") who were in the room performing various tasks, only to be blown-off or sometimes even entirely ignored. On one occasion, I witnessed an argument between one of the facility's nurses and an ambulance worker. Apparently, the staff had given a patient a medication that he was allergic to, despite having paperwork that clearly indicated that that medication was not to be given. When the ambulance was called to take the patient to the hospital, the EMT demanded an explanation. After refusing to give him whatever information he asked for, the facility staff (now gathered around one of the nurses' stations) began laughing about the experience, mocking the EMT who tried to stand up for the patient. While it is possible there is a lot more to the story than I am aware of, what I did see worried me greatly. While I would hope that this sort of thing is a fluke, or the exception to the rule, I would still be hesitant to allow any of my friends or loved ones to go anywhere near this facility.

About Care One At The Highlands

Care One At The Highlands is a nursing home in Edison, NJ that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Care One At The Highlands for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Care One At The Highlands

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff

Location of Care One At The Highlands