Brian Center Health and Rehabilitation/durham

6000 FAYETTEVILLE ROAD, Durham, NC, 27713

Reviews of Brian Center Health and Rehabilitation/durham

October 16, 2015

By trixie1958

My 86 yr old father has been at the Brian Center for a week now after being transferred from hospital after a heart attack. From the first day, I was not impressed with the state of the facility. The hallway to which he was assigned smells of urine and call alarms go off continuously. His room is very stark and the furniture is shabby. One drawer had spilled pink stuff covering the bottom. The faucet has a fast and wasting drip. The TV which is mounted on the wall is very tiny. I didn't know that they came in such a small size. I felt really badly leaving my father in this place. The venue is really uninviting but the quality of staff varies considerably. The biggest problem is communication. During our first week there, there was virtually none. When Dad was transferred to the facility from the hospital, no one explained how he would be rehabilitated, asked about his food preferences or needs, told us how often progress meetings would occur etc. They also did not give us a copy of his release papers from the hospital. We had no idea what drugs he was prescribed. When I tried to get answers, there was rarely a nurse at the nursing station and when there was, they would ignore me until I asked for their help. Most acted like they didn't want to talk to anyone. I've never been to a place that was so unfriendly. The incident that bothered me the most was I witnessed a male nurse come in to give my father a shot that I normally administer. It is a pre-loaded syringe that measures out a dose automatically. You just add the needle and remove the two covers, pull back to load and push to inject. The nurse only took off one cover and poked it deeply into the folds of my father's stomach. This alone is incorrect as one should hold a fold of skin so as to inject SC. I pointed out that he just wasted a dose ($70) because he did not remove the cap and it released the drug into the cap. He was surprised and did it again and rushed out of the room. I looked for his name to report him but he was not wearing an ID tag. In fact, many of the employees were not wearing identification that day. One cannot tell a nurse from a housekeeper there. I called the Nurse Director several times to talk with her about this incident and she never returned my call. I even stopped in the morning to talk and she was "not available". I finally got her on the phone and she acted like it was not a big deal and that I was over-reacting. She never offered an apology only said that the staff was later trained to give it properly. The Nurse Director, I feel, was quite uncaring and unprofessional in her handling of the situation. However, I did talk to one person who called me unsolicited with concerns about my father's status. The Speech Pathologist was very friendly and wanted more background information about Dad's normal behavior and cognition. I was happy to talk with her. She promised to work on those things and even adjust his diet to accommodate dental issues. Without going on and on about incidents I feel that there are a few good people at this facility (therapists) but most are very uncaring (nurses) and the place is disorganized and mismanaged. Beware.

July 31, 2015

By Wilbert

My mom is at Brian Center. It is very good. Their work attitude is very good. They have dual-patient rooms. They have a television, places to put your clothes in, and an adjacent bath. Brian Center also has a full rehab center.

September 09, 2013

By Mcraine

Please do not consider this place for a loved one. I had great hesitation about my father being sent there for rehabilitation. Prior to going there my father was in the hospital for a few weeks. He went to this place and in two day's they had him in such bad shape we had to take him back to the hospital. On his second night my father called scared because they were not checking his sugar.My sister had to go in at 11:30 at night. His sugar was the highest it has ever been.only when my sister busted in would they check it and give him his insulin. There is something very weird going on in this place. My father kept telling me people would ask for money for everything. Including moving him from his chair to a wheel chair. I thought my father misunderstood. Then I came across a woman who tried to pay me to change her. Seriously someone really needs to check this place out and find out what is going on. Staff is rude and unhelpful. Please do not consider this place for anyone. You will be sorry I promise you.

May 21, 2013

By Mythica

If you or your loved one needs skilled care, don't send them here. Physical therapy was a joke, I once counted 11 days without seeing a therapist walk through my door. They were told the specific care I would need and though assured they had the right equipment, they did not. The wound nurse is a joke, she couldn't manage a bandaid on a paper cut. I got worse under her care, not better. The staff is neglectful and often left me in my own mess for hours at a time. And when the staff was confronted on the issues, they made up lies to cover themselves. I won't even start on the food slop I was served. UNtrained, UNderstaffed, UNskilled, and UNcaring. Enter at your own risk.

November 06, 2012

By peaco002

our mother has been a long term care since december 2011, my family has been very pleased with the care and respect that has been shown to our mother from the receptionists answering the phones, the enviromental services, dietary,social workers, physical therapist, DR.Smith(male) and the clinical staff(Dorothy,Adrian,David,Mary, Ms.Nettie the ADN(Sha) and Nurse mgr to name a few, and everyone we have interacted with all have been awesome!!!!!!! kudos to the 400 hall staff!!! One of the things that needs improvement is the dietary menu,other than this nothing but awesome. Keep up the good works!!

September 16, 2012

By 2012andwhat

I would not take a dog here for rehab! or my worst enemy! The staff knowledge is of a middle school kid, I dont know who is running this place but they need to be shut door, lock the doors and throw away the kid. The care my parent received here was the worst I have ever seen, the nurses are not friendly and always have an attitude if you ask for anything, the rooms are not clean, the food is some mess I would never ever eat even if I was straving. The rehab theraphy is a joke! They dont have a meal plan for diabetics I was told everyone eats the same thing! What how crazy is that. If you love your family, do not leave them in this place! Worst Care Award!

Features of Brian Center Health and Rehabilitation/durham

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 05/01/2017

About Brian Center Health and Rehabilitation/durham

Brian Center Health and Rehabilitation/durham is a nursing home in Durham, NC that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Brian Center Health and Rehabilitation/durham for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of Brian Center Health and Rehabilitation/durham