Woodward Hills Nursing Center

39312 WOODWARD, Bloomfield Hills, MI, 48304

Reviews of Woodward Hills Nursing Center

Truthful Daughter April 11, 2014

My mom was in Woodward Hills for about 12 weeks. She was there for rehab to help her recover from leg surgery. During these weeks, our family met with administration as concerns arose. Some concerns were addressed; many were not. Our first experience was when my mom, who never had incontinence issues at any time, including after her surgery was put in a diaper. She was mortified, as were we, but that was the solution to not having adequate staff to take her to the bathroom on a regular basis. She often hit her call button, a staff member would come and turn it off (without taking her to the bathroom) and would say they would be right back. They would not come back, so she would call again, and again it would repeat itself. So for one time she may have needed to go to the bathroom, she may have to ring 3-4 times over a 45 minute period, never having her original need met. The nursing home is trying to meet their standard for response time for their reports, but in fact, these numbers are falsified with this type of practice. So, my mom remained in a diaper for much of her time there, strictly for convenience of staff. Our family experienced many 45 minute waits, despite our pleas to staff and pacing in front of the nurse's station. Although some staff members, particularly in the therapy department were competent and caring, they were understaffed for the amount of care that is needed for the patients WWH accepts. My mom was not given a shower in the entire time she was in the facility despite our requests, as it would have taken time to protect her leg, etc. We asked for linens and changed the bed ourselves when her bed was not changed for days at a time. Bathrooms and pantry areas were dirty. Used patient trays full of food were stacked high next to the place where patient water cups are prepared. The medical staff was not proactive in my mom's care. She became dehydrated and very mentally confused. We suggested the possibility of a urinary tract infection, but it was days before testing and medication was actually done. She fell 4 times due to mental confusion from the UTI , thinking she could handle her leg brace independently, which she could not. Luckily, she was not injured in these falls. It was not until she fell 4 times that the alarm we requested after the first fall was finally used. Staff members did not know how to work the brace on her leg, so each time it had to be adjusted or taken on or off it was a struggle. When I spoke to administration about our concern, I was told they could not be expected to know how to work all the braces. So where does that leave the patient?? We began to watch her medication given very closely, and found that we had to often remind staff of what medication was due when, especially in her final weeks. Blatant mistakes were made in dosage, frequency and forms of medication, particularly during the night shift. She progressively became more and more dehydrated and lost a great deal of weight. In her last weeks, our family had to be ahead of every situation as there appeared to be very little plans or concern about preparing for my mom's passing. As far as many staff members and administration was concerned, it was just another day, when we could have used some encouragement or support in the final days before hospice came in. I waited about a month after my mom died to clarify my thoughts about these events without the emotion of losing my mom. My purpose in meeting with administration was to provide some concrete suggestions on how to improve some of the areas mentioned above which would not require money taken out of their bottom line since it is a for-profit facility. I was told I would have a written response to my concerns, and they were so grateful for my comments and time. However, no written response was received after waiting over a month which is why I have turned to the internet. The only communication received was a bill sent to my mom's house, addressed to her, although she has passed. Our original check was responsibly paid the day we moved out my mom's belongings but sat in a drawer in the business office for 6 weeks with no communication to us regarding it. My hope is that someone from WWH may read this, and begin to address the dignity of the patients in their care and work to provide the excellence in medical care that is described in their brochures. Perhaps if changes are made, WWH could be a premier facility for our loved ones. However, until that happens, I would not recommend this facility unless you are relatively young, and need only physical therapy care for a short stay. My mom and many others who have come and gone from WWH deserve better care and advocates who continue to work towards this care.

Sirlawman September 16, 2013

Loud chaotic atmosphere during the day and ghostlike at night, it's hard to get anyone to help you.

Grammy Vicki August 21, 2013

I was just recently a patient at Woodward Hills Nursing Center...and I couldn't have come away more pleased. Prior to my hip surgery, my physician indicated that I would probably need to go to a rehab facility following my procedure. Initially I was reluctant, but after touring several facilities...Woodward Hills immediately stood out amongst the rest. The building and grounds are beautiful. I had a room that lead out to a tranquil courtyard full of flowers. Most importantly though, the level of care I received from all of the nurses, therapists, and physicians was top notch. I thought I was going to need to be there for at least 3 weeks, but I ended up making such great progress that I was able to go home in less time than that. Thanks to everyone at Woodward Hills, I'm walking at home with no pain or discomfort. I highly recommend this facility to anyone needing rehabilitation.

M_r1234 August 16, 2013

Woodward Hills is by far the best nursing center that I have visited. My mom was a patient there for the rehab and I cannot say enough good things about their therapy department. They genuinely cared for my mom and wanted her to get well and go back home. My mom loved the food there, they always have some kind of sweet desert available for her. Everyone was so friendly there and I will tell all of my friends and family members about the wonderful care at Woodward Hills!

Fab engineer May 25, 2013

Wow, I can say the building and grounds are lovely. The therapists and nurses are for the most part excellent. The nurses try very hard but the management arranges the nursing assignments in a very disorganized way. A nurse from one hallway may have a hand full of patients on different hallways! This results in those patients not having proper care or supervision and it is really abusive to the nurses that are running literally non-stop to cover their assignments. It seems to me that the people in the offices don't care, it's all about numbers and money but not the care of the patient or the sanity and support of the staff. I heard the director of nursing scream at nurses to answer lights and saw how shaken the nurses were as they tried frantically to cover two or more hallways. This is not by any means the fault of the nurses but clearly the fault of those in charge. It seems they are out of touch. My mother is improving, thank goodness I am able to spend several hours each day with her to insure she is safe. Once again I want to say that although the facility is pretty, the owners and management don't seem to understand how hard their staff works and the very adverse conditions they work under are because of the managements decisions to divide patients among nurses that are already overworked and stressed. I wish the management would listen to family members such as me and understand the basis of good care starts with a staff that are not abused.

Social Worker # 1 November 14, 2011

I visited Woodward Hills Rehabilitation and Nursing facility in December, 2010. In general, I thought that Woodward Hills Rehabilitation and Nursing facility was an excellent choice for someone that is looking for a placement for a friend or family member. Woodward Hills Rehabilitation and Nursing facility is beautiful both interior and exterior and an excellent choice for placement for a friend or family member. It is just simply gorgeous and breathe taking with a picture look. The grounds of the facility are beautiful and very well maintained and coordinated. The common areas are also beautiful and the surrounding neighborhood is beautiful and has picture perfect views all around it. The common areas are surrounded by acres of land, flowers and greenery for miles and the view is just breath taking. The entire facility also has a picture perfect view both interior and exterior. The facility is huge but it is just gorgeous and so beautiful that it looks like a picture you can imagine the beauty of this facility. The resident's rooms are picture perfect with all matching décor in fuchsia, royal blue, and cranberry with a touch of white, and turquoise blended in the; bedspreads, carpet, wallpaper, walls, and sofas in the patients rooms. Woodward Hills Rehabilitation and Nursing facility just looks so unreal it is so very tasteful to the eye. The food looked gourmet and delicatessen style as if it was ordered by a famous gourmet restaurant. The residents were happy, interacting, and socializing with one another. The residents conveyed to me that it was a lovely place to live and to visit. The facility did not smell and had automatic room deodorizers that automatically release a beautiful scent throughout the entire facility. The staff and management of the facility are very nice, very professional, and very team, task, oriented in their job duties and performance. I think the residents receive excellent and professional care there. The staff was always in sight and asking the residents if he/she needed anything. While I was there, I noticed that the staff, management and the residents all communicated very well together and that the staff and management treated the residents like family. I would give Woodward Hills a five star rating for their excellence and expertise in patient care. Overall, Woodward Hills Rehabilitation and Nursing facility is an excellent choice for someone that is looking for an elegant, sophisticated, picture perfect view and picture perfect look for a friend or family member. I would recommend it to everyone, anyone, and for people over 50 because I know that they would do well there and I know that they would like it there.

lanneberg September 30, 2011

My grandmother was in this Michigan facility when she was in her late nineties. She passed away while staying there, from congestive heart failure. The staff at the facility was quite kind and caring. She needed help with bathing and eating and they did a good job. It is hard to have a relative in such a facility, especially when they are losing their memory. The main improvement that I could suggest is that they could call the family more promptly when the patient's condition changes. The facility had a good feeling, nice food for the patient, and a good atmosphere. The best part was the view to the outside from her room. Her room overlooked a nice garden area, and it was really uplifting. It seemed that most rooms at this facility had this same good view. This inspiring view had trees and a small stream, which were both soothing.

KRK188 August 02, 2011

Beautiful building,furnishings but unfortunately it doesn't make up for staff {not enough}, or unattentive care. The rehab was poor,we have done better since my parent has come home.NOT RECOMMENDED!

About Woodward Hills Nursing Center

Woodward Hills Nursing Center is a nursing home in Bloomfield Hills, MI that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Woodward Hills Nursing Center for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Woodward Hills Nursing Center

Medicare (ratings last updated: 05/18/17)

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff
  • Medicare Provider Number 235556
  • Resident Capacity 190
  • Ownership Type For Profit Partnership

Location of Woodward Hills Nursing Center