Bel Air Health and Rehabilitation Center

410 EAST MCPHAIL ROAD, Bel Air, MD, 21014

Reviews of Bel Air Health and Rehabilitation Center

September 20, 2015

By ConcernedFamilymembers

This facility is absolutely awful. I have a family member in the center for rehab. The nursing staff barely pays attention to him, only to give him medications--- and even then, he has to ask when the time comes because he's in pain. The rehab specialist was the only person who was seemingly caring in a tough situation. When reaching out to the director for concerns with my family member, her response was "well what do you want me to do?". Beyond this, I witnessed an elderly man fall out of his chair and slam his head on the floor. I rushed to get help and they took their time gathering people to help. They hoisted him up by his shorts and slung him in his bed. Meanwhile, he is waving his hands over his head and they disregarded and said he was fine. Overall, I am severely displeased with the CARE that the staff gives to their patients. If you care at all about your family, you would NOT send them here.

October 26, 2013

By Concernedforparent

The rehabilitation therapists are top notch. The nursing staff is competent. They are alert to changes in condition and alert family when problems arise. However, the nursing staff interacts with patients mainly for medication, doing little of the patient's personal care. To have a relative in this facility requires a real commitment to visit every day and be prepared to spend several hours a day there to make sure your relative is being cared for and kept clean. Like many of the facilities in Bel Air, personal care is left to aides who, with only a few exceptions, are terrible. Poor work ethic from the CNA/NA staff seems rampant in the facilities we have experienced, and especially poor in this one. This may be because the level of personal care required when patients reach the nursing home staff increases exponentially, while the cost escalates disproportionally to the level of care being received. Without family intervention, patients sit for hours in soiled diapers and clothing. There is no plan or set routine for individual patient hygiene. Pushing the call button gets little or no response. Even when a family member is present and asks for patient care, the excuses for not changing diapers are "it's shift change;" "aides are on break;" "we don't have enough people;" "it's almost breakfast/lunch/dinner;" "we're short staffed today;" or just simply not being able to find anyone. My parent has fallen several times trying to get relief from soiled diapers. There appears to be only one aide who actually bathes patients, so patients are rarely bathed. Aids routinely clean soiled patient aggressively with cold wipes, ignoring the patients expressions of discomfort when cleaning sensitive areas. Because they don't change the patients often enough, there was often feces in the clothing, causing them to "lose" the clothes. They "lost"/discolored so much of my parent's clothing that I opted to do the laundry myself. Now they put pants with feces in them in the laundry basket, so I've learned to check all clothing for poop and rinse it out before putting clothing in the laundry. Bringing issues to the attention of the management does not result in any change in aide behavior. Because it is an old facility, the patient rooms and bathrooms are small. Bathrooms are too small to maneuver the wheelchairs in and are shared between two rooms, with four patients using the same restroom. Visitors are required to obtain a key from the front desk to use the one restroom available for visitors. It's a poor system and adds to the stress of visiting, probably designed to discourage visitors from staying too long. Focus is not on the residents. There are few resident areas. If you do not visit, residents sit in the hallways most of the day, with little stimulus. Activities are scheduled at "shift change" for the convenience of the staff. Because space is limited, therapy occupies the solarium.The one resident area is where the "activities" are held. The lobby is dingy and dimly lit. The cafeteria is bright and often available between meals, but there is little privacy, with some residents playing country and rock music for extended periods of time. One courtyard is used for staff smoking and the other was only recently made available to patients. These areas and the porch are only accessible on warm sunny days. Meals have no fresh vegetables or fruit with canned items prevailing. Meat and potatoes are the general fare and the menu has little variation. Many residents leave quite a bit of food uneaten every day. This facility needs a strong injection of "Patient First" philosophy and really needs major renovation throughout the facility. They need to address the poor performance of the aids and either manage more effectively or staff more to accommodate the patients. Meanwhile, if you place someone here, be prepared to visit daily, bring fresh fruit and healthy snacks, do the laundry yourself and advocate strongly for your loved one's care.

February 20, 2012

By Brutus

My father went here after hip replacement, it has been one week and his health has declined tremendously. The nurses seem to be too busy to care and the doctor in charge does not follow through. Seems the only descent employees are the orderlies. We need to get him out of here soon or he will die here.

December 08, 2011

By Christina Scillieri

Overall, I would say the facility was okay. I believe there was room for some improvement though. The facility was clean, and the employees had the skills needed to work there. I suppose my only issues with the place was a few of the nurses I had encountered there. The few nurses I had encountered seemed a bit irritated and almost rude.In the beginning, I just figured they were busy and such, but as the days when on, it stayed the same. This wasn't all the nurses, in fact I had seen some really nice ones, I am talking about the ones working with my grandmother. Also, the nurses didn't check on the elderly there as much as I would have liked. My grandmother's roommate had a smell of urine coming off of her so bad, that every time she moved, the smell took over the whole room. One day, I was there for 6 hours straight and not one single employee came in to check their diapers or see if they even had to go to the bathroom. On the other hand, there were a few things I really liked about the facility. The physical therapist were amazing!! They were very good at their job, and had a lot of patience with the patients.My grandmother was only a temporary resident there, and if I had the option, I wouldn't send her back there.

Features of Bel Air Health and Rehabilitation Center

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 05/01/2017

About Bel Air Health and Rehabilitation Center

Bel Air Health and Rehabilitation Center is a nursing home in Bel Air, MD that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Bel Air Health and Rehabilitation Center for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of Bel Air Health and Rehabilitation Center