Heartland Health Care Center-ann Arbor

4701 E. HURON RIVER DR, Ann Arbor, MI, 48105

Reviews of Heartland Health Care Center-ann Arbor

August 19, 2015

By RobinRF

I toured three skilled nursing facilities before selecting Heartland for a loved one. I liked its interior—it was comfortable and homey (one of the places in town I toured was a little depressing, with a smell/ very institutional. The other was gorgeous inside, sort of 4-star restaurant. Heartland is more like Bob Evans in many of its interior spaces.) The room is adequate but small. There’s space for a nice bed and an ok sitting chair and a small nightstand, but there’s absolutely no more space: you can’t rotate the chair so the person in it can see the person in the bed. Visitors basically need to stand there. It seems like the rooms were initially planned as single rooms and then made into doubles with privacy curtains: there’s a single light switch to operate the lights over the whole room, and only one person gets a window (the other gets the clock). There is another light over the bed, but someone sitting in bed can’t turn it on, and someone whose balance isn’t great (many of their clients?) can’t really get to it. The therapy my loved one got there was pretty good. All therapists seemed well-trained, the therapy room was nice and modern, etc. The therapy was the best part of the nursing home. They need a lot more nurses/nursing aides. I was very disappointed in the wait times for things. When my loved one would push his button for help, he’d wait ~20 min average for help. This was usually ok—he was hoping someone would come help him change his clothes for bed, and waiting a bit to do so wasn’t a big deal—but no one came to “triage,” so I always worried that some time he’d be pulling the cord from the floor or something and there for a longer time. The lack of staff results in these long wait times and also in insanity at bottleneck times: we’d come at 11am and my loved one wasn’t always dressed yet, and when we asked the aide about this she pointed out that she’s responsible for 11 people and it takes ~30min/person. I wish they had more helpers or overlapping shifts at bottleneck times or something. Specific people we interacted with seemed good. I thought the food seemed only okay (lots of gravy over very soft meat, sometimes served cool), but my loved one liked the food a lot anyway. Their dishwasher broke his second day there, so the food was served on styrafoam and with plastic utensils (this was still true at his discharge on day 11). I think my biggest frustration was with the administration/communication. We were told different things by different people repeatedly (which day he’d be discharged, whether or not something had been faxed to insurance, which medication they’d changed him to, various important and unimportant things). At our discharge meeting, no one from nursing came and the social worker basically said “we’d need to ask someone from nursing about that” for everything we asked. When we came on the day of discharge, his nurse and therapists hadn’t been told he was leaving that day.

May 28, 2015

By Caring107319750

Heartland was very nice -- big rooms, airy, full of light, and pretty good staff. It was very clean, very pleasant, and very professional. I would not hesitate to go there myself if I had a need. It's close to the campus of Saint Joseph's Hospital. It's a pretty nice environment, and it's wooded. It was easy to get to from all over the state; it's at the intersection of I-94 and US-23. They have a very good reputation also.

February 27, 2014

By Naomi4

I was at Heartland a couple of times. I enjoyed my time there. The only thing that I would have liked to have was a more aggressive therapy program because when I went there, I lost a lot of what I gained in the hospital because it wasn't as aggressive that I was used to in the hospital. I even had to make a request that they change my therapist because I felt like he wasn't giving the therapy that I wanted so I changed to a therapist who was a little more attentive. Everything else was pretty good. The food was good. They brought the meals to your room so you ate in the room.

February 07, 2014

By kevin2013bo

I was a patient at Heartland Health Care Center – Ann Arbor for three months and my experience far exceeded my expectations. Like most people, I have heard the negative stories about nursing homes and did not know what to expect before I arrived. From the very first night I was pleasantly surprised and the experience was far superior to that of the two well known, respected hospitals from where I transferred. I was admitted for therapy and I must say the therapy departments are exceptional. I have been told I can be a fairly demanding individual, but I couldn’t have been more thrilled as the therapy department literally helped me get my life back. I came into Heartland on a stretcher unable to sit up or even move my legs in bed and I walked out under my own steam. There are always going to be challenges whenever someone is away from home and out of their comfort zone. While no center is perfect at all times, the staff at Heartland Ann Arbor has expertise, experience, commitment and the equipment to meet patient needs and in my case, exceed them. Simple words cannot adequately express my gratitude.

December 24, 2013

By Barbara75409050

I was in a rehab facility and it was horrendous. I was at Heartland Health Care Center. The place was filthy. They knew I was coming but they were not prepared. They didn't have the proper wheelchair or anything set up. They were scrambling for an hour and a half trying to find a way to get me into something. They just weren't ready. I got there in the middle of the afternoon and I didn't get anything to eat. I also didn't get any pain medicine. This was two days right after my knee replacement and I was really in pain. The people there were rude and it was horrible. They didn't even give me my regular medications. It was about 11 p.m. that somebody came in my room and brought me some crackers and juice, so I was there for 18 hours with no food or medication and I was left in the room by myself. It was really bad. It was a nightmare. Also they found a seat that I could sit on to go to the bathroom but it was covered with feces. I called up my husband to pick me up. I just stayed there for less than 24 hours because they couldn't get their act together. They need to improve on things. Number 1, they need more attention to the patients. They didn't give me any attention when I was there. Number 2 would be cleanliness because I was post surgical and I could have caught an awful infection in that place. It was filthy. I wrote them a letter and I put everything in there but I got a call back from someone and they tried to refute everything. They said that in their nurse's chart they were in there every hour to check on me, but that was not true. They were trying to say that nothing I said was true.

November 28, 2013

By DAUGHTEROFPATIENT

Other

I do not recommend Heartland Home Health care, Ann Arbor--- the nurses did not pick up on a life threating health issue and my loved one ended up in the ICU

April 25, 2012

By vee55

My family visited several skilled nursing facilities in search of the most comfortable environment for a relative who needed help. We ended up choosing Heartland Health Care Center because it seemed to provide the most activities for residents and had the best staff-to-patient ratio. The employees were almost uniformly warm and cheerful, and they always did their best to liven up the day for the residents. However, no nursing home is perfect, and there were some negatives that are always going to be hard to overlook. One negative is that the facility is carpeted, and the carpet sometimes smells. The first room they placed my relative in smelled of urine. We complained and they ended up moving her to a different room. It can be difficult to get a nurse into the room promptly, although that's a problem that will be found anywhere. The food is decent, but the internet access is very poor. The facility looks newer from the outside than it does on the inside.I would choose this facility for another relative, but it's important to be involved in their lives once they become a resident, because these negatives exist for every nursing home and good family support is essential for good health.

Features of Heartland Health Care Center-ann Arbor

Medicare (ratings last updated: 06/16/17)

• Overall:
  • Date Certified: 05/01/2017

About Heartland Health Care Center-ann Arbor

Heartland Health Care Center-ann Arbor is a nursing home in Ann Arbor, MI that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Heartland Health Care Center-ann Arbor for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of Heartland Health Care Center-ann Arbor