Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center

2729 KING ST, Alexandria, VA, 22302

Top nearby Nursing Homes

Reviews of Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center

Stoptheinsanity October 09, 2014

My relative has been at Woodbine in long term care for several years now. This facility was sub-standard then and still is sub-standard. The building is dilapidated, crumbling, in dire need of renovation. The owners have stated they are going to fix it up, so far a small amount of repair work has been done on exterior. The environment inside is horrible. The smell of urine and feces is enough to choke anyone. It is dark and dreary, no wonder the residents seem so unhappy.

Caring64031650 February 28, 2014

We moved my mom to Woodbine Rehabilitation and Healthcare Center in September of last year. From the hospital that she was in, they suggested that we take her to a nursing home and out of three of the facilities we looked at, this is the one we picked. We chose them for the price. The facility is okay. It is not as nice as I would like, but I would say for the money it's a pretty good deal. The staff, on a scale of 1 to 10, I would give them about a 7. My mom needs round-the-clock care, but she is showing no improvement. She's not doing any better.

qidaslisab July 06, 2012

The amenities were horrible! I felt as though this was a place that people went to halfway between being alive and being dead. It had a putrid smell that roamed just about every hallway. My cousin's room (the patient) was below ground in the basement. The room itself seemed very old and cramped - sometimes he had to share, others he was luckier. The staff was okay, I found a few to be extraordinarily helpful, but most of them were lazy and uninterested, and seemed as though they just couldn't be bothered. There were moments when he needed breathing assistance, and it took nurses minutes before they arrived. In all honesty, I could not wait for him to get out of there and every visit was something that I just didn't look forward to.

JFW1 April 02, 2012

Wonderful nursing care and rehab facility! Fantastic nursing and rehab staff, nice accomodations, and great meals.

ParaK March 14, 2012

When I was working as an EMT, a large part of my job included transporting elderly patients from nursing homes to hospitals or vice versa. One particularly memorable day during my first week on the job took me to two seemingly very different nursing homes. The first was Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare in Alexandria. The staff was warm, friendly, and invested in the well-being of their patients. The atmosphere was cozy, almost reminiscent of a home or a large bed and breakfast. Everyone seemed happy and as healthy as could be expected, and my team and I left with a positive feeling, which was rare. Later in the day, we had to drop another patient off at a nursing home (stay with me here, I swear this is relevant to my review of Woodbine). We pulled up along the back entrance and took our patient inside. This facility, unlike the one I had visited earlier in the day, was absolutely squalid. The entire building reeked of human waste. In almost every room there was at least one patient moaning, crying, or calling out for help, and they all went ignored by the staff. I had difficulty transferring the care of my patient, because very few of the staff understood English. As we prepared to leave, I headed back towards the door where we entered, and one of my partners tapped me on the shoulder and said that we'd go out the front. We climbed a staircase and, to my great surprise, emerged into the lobby of the wonderful nursing home we'd visited that morning. I had been riding in the back of the ambulance, focusing on my patient, so I hadn't noticed that we were at the same place. I couldn't believe it. I was shocked that the kind and caring people in the nursing home were only one floor away from the disaffected employees of the rehab center. Take Woodbine - and your tour, and the brochures, and whatever the sales rep tells you - with a grain of salt. While it seems like a nice facility on the surface, this is not a good place for a patient who can't advocate for themselves.

arlington December 18, 2011

I was admitted for rehab after knee replacement surgery. I was led to believe that I would be on a floor with similar patients, ones who were there short-term for PT; however, I was placed on a floor with patients suffering from severe dementia and worse. The staff was incompetent: one staff member wanted to give me additional pain medication, insisting that it was all right to do so even though I had taken a dose of my regular pain medication an hour earlier. I was lucky I was alert enough to check on medications when they were delivered because every time (!) the medication was incorrect! I woke up one afternoon to find a CNA rummaging through my bedside drawers, with a plastic bag. When I woke and asked what she was doing, she said she was "organizing" my drawers. Not surprising, during my stay I discovered items missing. As for rehab, I had to get myself down to the PT area on the basement floor by myself, was left alone to do my exercises with no supervision. The doctor on call was a joke...all he wanted to do was talk about his ski trip. When I said I was only supposed to be there a week, I was told that was for the staff and doctor to decide...since I was an insurance patient, I am sure they wanted to keep me longer. I stayed the required week for rehab and then got myself out of there as quickly as possible.

My room shared a bathroom with the room next door. I was told that the woman in that room was bedridden so I'd have the bathroom to myself. On the first night, I got up in the middle of the night, went into the bathroom and discovered it was being used for storage! In addition, soiled sheets filled the tub and the stench was horrendous. I had to move wheelchairs, porta-potties, carts away from the toilet in order to use it, gagging the whole time. The next morning I complained to the nurse (the CNA on duty during the night just shrugged her shoulders), everyone all of a sudden was very concerned and apologetic. The CNA must have been called to task because she was hostile towards me from then on.

The food didn't seem very nutritious: gravy and biscuits for breakfast, sandwiches for dinner (on my first night, I was given a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner!). The main meal at lunch was usually some mystery meat covered in gravy. I eat a low-fat diet with lots of vegetables and fruit. When my husband called the dietician to discuss the meals I was receiving, the dietician came in to see me to ask what was the matter with the food. I think a health care facility should think twice about having a dietician who is grossly obese. Enough said.

My stay at this facility was an absolute nightmare. I spoke with people after I left, who had also been patients at one time or another, and they had similar experiences. How this facility can get away with operating the way it does is criminal.

PS I would give this facility NO stars, but in order to fill out this review, at least one star had to be highlighted.

Susan2 November 17, 2011

In the first day that my mother was there most of her clothes went missing---she was left with one pair of pants, one set of underwear, and one top. It was November, and her coat was stolen. I would walk down halls and hear patients asking not to be hit. We got my mother out of there immediately.

About Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center

Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center is a nursing home in Alexandria, VA that provides patients with skilled nursing care as well as private or shared accommodations. Contact Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Features of Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center

• Health
  • Overall
  • Quality
  • Staff

Location of Woodbine Rehabilitation & Healthcare Center