The Memory Center

1853 Old Donation Parkway, Virginia Beach, VA, 23454

Reviews of The Memory Center

March 02, 2015

By nightbloomer

Caring for people with Alzheimer Disease has to be one of the most stressful jobs in the health care field, yet The Memory Center staff manages to do it with a gentleness not found in many places. If a problem occurs I have found them always to be able to correct it. I have been very pleased with my interactions with everyone.

February 28, 2015

By Cheryl106845350

The Memory Center was a beautiful facility. They had tons of things for the people to do and it just looked amazing. My parents didn't end up moving here yet, but I think if I have to choose one, this is the one I would like to have chosen depending on finances, of course. The staff seemed very friendly.

February 06, 2015

By Arange

What an amazing community for those needing dementia care! The staff to patient ratio is the highest I've seen and they couldn't be friendlier. The community was built in 2008 but looks like it opened yesterday and they are doing renovations just to get ahead of the game! Kudos to an exceptional community that has raised the bar for all similar facilities!

February 02, 2015

By lmvwhite

The Memory Center staff is top-notch. Kind and caring, they are always willing to go above and beyond, treating every resident and family as if they were one of their own relatives.

November 07, 2014

By Kate17

My grandmother has been receiving care at The Memory Center for a few months now. I cannot express enough gratitude to the amazing caring staff who cares for her as if she is their own family. Alzheimer's is terrible but knowing that when my grandmothers family is not there she is being cared for at the highest of levels. Thank you.

September 08, 2014

By TMC090814

The Memory Center is such a nice, and well laid out, facility. The Centre Court is set up like a small town or village, and you can see interaction with the residents in the Centre Court and inside the wings of the facility. Well locked, very secure for residents. I felt very comfortable at The Memory Center.

September 08, 2014

By NancyKen

My wife has been a resident since January 2014 and she has experienced exceptional care in all areas. I would highly recommend this facility because of the competent staff and activities director's. The activities program is the best I have seen in any facility I have visited. The food and medical care is exceptional. Every promise made has been received and I am very happy with her total care.

September 06, 2014

By LWL

My Mother has been a resident of the Memory Center for the past four years. During this period she has received excellent care from a caring, loving, and professional staff. When issues have arisen(and they have been minor), I have always found the management receptive to addressing them in a prompt manner. The facility provides excellent, nutritional meals, frequent entertainment, a clean, safe environment, and most importantly, peace of mind for the family.

September 05, 2014

By samantharae

The Memory Center is a amazing organization. I have visited the facility several times. Whether it was taking Charles The Monarch in for "Pet Therapy", book signings, the first purple ambulance, or even taking my children there for trick or treating it never ceases to amaze me the thought, love and involvement of the staff there. Every program, event seeks to enrich the lives of the residents there.

September 01, 2014

By Loved One13

Very caring staff. Food and activities are good. Aesthetically beautiful environment. But the family support gets an F! Father was put in 2 undergarments rather than changing the one. He went days without a shower. Most recently found him in the same outfit for 2 days. This is an assisted living facility despite claims and marketing that they are end of life. They don't have the staff to tend to people with advanced stages. The director lacks empathy. The "bank" and convenience stores are never open. The regular family meetings they advertise don't happen unless the family forces is and then are treated like you are wasting their time. Condescending geriatrician in charge of the residents care. A lot must have changed since the other reviews in 2012. Hope they get some new management and this place steps up to their potential. Very disappointing experience!

Thank you for your wonderful comments regarding our caring staff and the beautiful design of our community. I apologize for the impression you received in regards to family support. We are committed to our residents and family members and strive to deliver the quality of life our residents deserve as well as the support to family members. To help meet that expectation our management team has completed the program for Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia Care offered by the National Council of Certified Dementia Practitioners. This program and education is recognized as the highest standard in Alzheimer’s and dementia care. Topics of the training included sensitive care, psychosocial support of the families and education in areas of end of life care for dementia patients. We continue to educate our team and staff about this unfortunate disease and with these experiences we inspire to add meaningful life to one’s years and ease the burden of their love ones.
-Donna Callihan, Executive Director

January 31, 2014

Mom moved in December 14th last year at The Memory Center. My mom is not very mobile. She also has Alzheimer's. The facility is laid out nicely. They have a little town area where they can have the option of being away from their bedroom and just coming and seeing a group, e.g., listening to music or what-have-you. They have activities for their residents. What I like most about this facility is the peace of mind knowing that she's safe. She had in-home care before and we're not doing that anymore. Now, with this facility, I don't have to worry about going to her house or having strangers walking in her house.

December 16, 2012

By bbbVA

If I could give the Memory Center 10 stars, I would. My father passed away last week after living at the Memory Center for 2 years. Instead of suffering through the difficult later days of Alzheimer's , he joined a family at the Memory Center and THRIVED. Every detail of the facility is designed with a thought toward making the residents feel as comfortable and independent as possible - far more than every other home we visited. The village and neighborhood set up allow for the residents to move freely and safely while being greeted by name by every staff member. The physical set up of the Memory Center will be obvious when you visit. What may not be as obvious is the love and caring provided by the nursing staff. It is not fake or forced - the Memory Center somehow manages to hire the most amazing people that bring a warm spirit to their work. On my father's last day, our family gathered by his bed. Throughout the course of the day, we were awestruck to see almost every member of the nursing staff - both on and off duty - come by to say goodbye to my dad with tears in their eyes. They didn't avoid the room; they brought friendship, love and tenderness to him in his final hours. They were genuinely saying goodbye to a friend.

March 07, 2012

By virginialette

When I visited this facility I was pleased in every single way. The director of nursing was nice enough to walk me through the building on a tour. All exterior doors are locked & require a code to enter & exit the building to keep the Alzheimers residents from wandering out. The whole building is set up like a little town. It has its own ice cream shop, barber shop & everything. The interior town is set up like it is from the '40s or '50s to make the resident feel more comfortable when their mind had them believing that they are still in their younger years. The building is kept very clean & all of the staff is very nice. The direct care staff are encouraged to wear street clothes so that their uniforms will not intimidate the residents & make them feel that they are in a nursing facility. The Memory Center is beautiful from outside to in & is located very near Virginia Beach General Hospital if any sickness or injuries occurred. I was very pleased with my tour.

Photos of The Memory Center

• Activities Extra: Movie Theater & Library

• Staff Patient Ratio: 4 To 1

• Licenses: VA/VDSS

About The Memory Center

Our state of the art design is optimized to enhance the quality of life for all of our residents. The small town street welcomes residents with a town center featuring a movie theater, general store, bank, library, beauty salon, tavern and ice cream stand along with replicas of historical icons familiar to our residents. All residential wings open to the town center area.

Our therapeutic program "Memories & Motion" is grounded in Montessori-based principles of respect, dignity, independence and choice. Specialized programming includes activities in an environment that is success-oriented, failure free, purposeful and meaningful.

We provide a unique dietary program with a team of culinary associates to include: dementia-friendly menus to help prevent weight loss and selections that appealing to senses and easy to manage.

Operationally, all staff are trained in dementia care and the Resident Services Director specializes in geriatric care. Our managers and key staff members are Certified Dementia Practitioners (CDP), a credential that recognizes the highest standard in Alzheimer's and Dementia education. An in-house physician with expertise in dementia and Alzheimer's will assist with care tailored to best meet the needs of residents and families.

We believe the challenging conditions of the aging brain should be met with a caring, interactive community designed around the individual. The Memory Center offers every incentive to celebrate life and find purpose each day.

The Memory Center exists to assist persons living with memory challenges by reducing the frustrations and agitations that usually accompany memory loss. Along with providing a safe and secure sense of home our programs focus on promoting an enhanced quality of life for individuals with Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia.

Map of The Memory Center