Amber Glen Alzheimer's Special Care Center

1704 East Amber Ln, Urbana, IL, 61802

Reviews of Amber Glen Alzheimer's Special Care Center

Cinda Pippenger May 15, 2015

Very fine service! Staff were always alert and caring, encouraging to clients, and helpful to visitors. The staff also is exceptional in explaining things and taking a sincere interest in clients and concern to families. Activities are crafts, music, and dancing, etc. All are well planned and much enjoyed.

Disappointed.. December 18, 2013

I have seen this facility inside and out. It appears to be a good clean place with happy staff but dont let that fool you. The staff has high turn over due to over working the aids. The resident smell of urine. High incidences of falls. Some residents have even broken bones. Some of the staff is amazing! Others not so great.. No activities that keep residents busy!

021 September 13, 2012

My grandmother receives adequate but uneven care at Amber Glen. It My family has been satisfied for the most part, but there have been several incidents that have caused problems. The quality of care largely seems to depend on the specific staff who interact with my grandma and family. The administrator of the facility changed over the last year, and she does not seem to be quite up to the task as the previous administrator. She does not do a good job communicating issues with the family, unfortunately, and she doesn't seem to have the right kind of personality for the position. As far as the nurses and aides, some of them have been stellar! I recognize that they have a very challenging work environment, since they specialize in patients living with Alzheimers and dementia. However, we have had problems with lost property, including very expensive hearing aids, that they are supposed to be collecting nightly. It is also difficult to ascertain if they are doing all the things they are supposed to be doing, since the family cannot monitor things like changing hearing aid batteries, or whether or not she gets nebulizer treatments in a timely manner. It has been difficult to turn over care of a loved one to strangers who sometimes do not seem to be very coordinated/administered properly.

cuddlykitten97 July 25, 2012

I really liked amber glenn. My grandpa had been living there his last few years before he passed away. The staff was polite except one guy but now no longer works there. The food was always pretty good. I would of liked if they had more activities though. The noise level was quiet most of the time. Parking could have been better. The rooms was always clean. I liked the visiting hours, was always convienet. Everyone was very curtious and friendly. I always loved seeing anf talking to the other guest. Good atmosphere. When my grandpa was sick they would always notify us as soon as possible and when he passed they was very good with helping us pack all of his things and make arrangments. they sent us cards and flowers to the service. I think if we could do it all again we would do it the same way, and I would reccomend amber glenn to other people.

nhthorn11 December 08, 2011

The facility is great, it was built just a few years ago in Urbana, IL. The assisted living community mostly provides care for those who have Alzheimer's disease. The facility has remained clean and looks to be properly taken care of in terms of upkeep to the building. I do believe that the staff that they hire are really good and really over worked. They do seem to have a high turn over rate in terms of employment, mostly because of low pay for most of the jobs. I do believe that even with the high turn over rate that they continue to hire quality employees who care about the job that they are doing. The management of the staff has been great, my grandmother currently lives in the facility and I believe that this has been a great place for her. My grandmother is always clean and they make sure that she is safe, which are my two biggest priorities. I amenities of the building are very good and allow for the residents to move about freely, there are movie rooms, outside areas, and large rooms for the residents to host events. I would tell anyone thinking about entering the facility that I believe it to be a great place to live. Also, there is shopping close by, along wtih two hospitals very close.

mcath April 28, 2011

Friend or relative of resident

My family was hesitant to place my aunt in a memory loss facility. Amber Glen make the transistion easy for both the family / my aunt. My aunt is happy, enjoys the events and her roomate. It was a good decision as the faciliy is clean and well run. Caregivers are very caring to the residents.

From Amber Glen Alzheimer's Special Care Center

Often the mental demands of those struggling with Alzheimer's disease can take over the emotional needs. But at JEA Senior Living, we keep the emotional needs and feelings of your loved one at the very center of what we do.

Our exclusive Meaningful Moments® program is specifically designed to help meet the needs of those Residents with memory loss. We begin by discovering the life story of each individual's likes, dislikes and cherished memories. By adding details and preferences from each Resident's life story into their day, we can build comfort and a sense of meaning for each individual Resident. The result is a familiar atmosphere for your loved one.

Our Residents have access to a whole host of amenities and programming options to help keep them active and engaged in daily life.

There are excursions to restaurants and shopping, arts and crafts classes, movie nights and many chances for family and holiday celebrations. Our Meaningful Moments® program, paired with our active and engaged staff members at JEA Senior Living, brings together the very best Alzheimer's care.

We specialize only in Dementia care. We have a long standing reputation for providing quality care and enjoy the fact that we have been owned by the same family owned corporation that has high standards of resident care and has a personal interest in the care and hospitality that we provide.

Features of Amber Glen Alzheimer's Special Care Center