Somerford Place of Stockton

3530 Deer Park Drive, Stockton, CA, 95219

Reviews of Somerford Place of Stockton

Sandra114295550 October 29, 2015

I have my husband placed at Somerford Place. I first put him in there as a short-term to see how it was, and he liked it there. I really liked everything they were doing, and I just thought it was perfect for him. The staff is very professional; they are very helpful with any question you have. They do a really good tour, show you where everything is, and introduce you to all the staff. I like their living areas, their bedrooms, and their dining rooms. The whole atmosphere of the place is wonderful. I’ve eaten there, and it’s really good. They have memory-stimulation activities, exercise, and music; they have a lot of interaction. Everybody is always included, regardless of their ability. They do a very thorough work-up of the person’s abilities, and then they interact all the people together; they are able to understand each person’s level of ability.

Debra102661750 April 17, 2015

Somerford Place was the only one that I visited, and it didn't work out. I went to see about some day care, and it was a reasonable price, the staff was very nice and helpful, and it was a really nice clean place, but you have to have dementia or Alzheimer's to go there. The atmosphere was really nice, and everything seemed so organized. I didn't really see anything negative going on. A lot of them were in a room listening to a story, and everybody seemed happy, so I just thought it was a good atmosphere, and the people seemed happier there.

Paul Williams May 30, 2014

My mom lived at Somerford for a year. Everything about the facility is very, very good, and their program is excellent. The rooms were adequate and nice. The décor was very nice and very cheerful. It's a very good place. The food is good, although not great. Most of it is done in a crock pot. The staff are very friendly. They have singing, and they bring in bands all the time. So they have a very, very good program. I hope that the receptionist will be more cheerful. When I come, she does not smile and doesn’t say welcome. She is grouchy.

takaszer March 14, 2014

Concerned Loved Ones, Finding Somerford Place was a God-Send for my wife and me. After the death of my 94 year-old father nearly 4 ½ years ago, Judy and I began to see a slow, steady decline in my mother. Gert was always a fiercely independent woman who refused to accept or realize (how much of that refusal was age/dementia related?) her need for assistance as she grew older. After 1½ years of living alone, in a house she had inhabited for 55 years, safety forced us to move her to a secure facility which would appeal to her active lifestyle. Gert most enjoyed the live music and dancing available numerous times each week. I will always cherish our videos dancing, along with summer BBQ’s, and the holiday family dinners. In Somerford we found a safe, caring, friendly, atmosphere which gave us the peace of mind we needed. Our lives were far less stressful knowing that she was safe and loved. Our entire family is tremendously grateful for Somerford Place and its fantastic staff for giving Gert an additional 2 ¾ years of the best quality of life a person of nearly 98 years of age could ask for. Sincerely, Tom & Judy Lodi, CA

Caring75872950 December 30, 2013

My uncle is at Somerford Place and it’s a nice facility. They are treating the residents there very nicely and they provide entertainment for them. The food is okay.

MDG December 12, 2013

This place was/is a life saver! The facilities are great, but the staff are even better. My mother, who has Alzheimer's, lives with my brother and his family out of town. I wanted to spend more time with my mom as well as give my brother and his wife some relief in caring for my mom. The only problem was it was stressing me out to commute every day from Stockton to the adult care facility she normally attend attends every day (an hour away, each way). I found Somerford Place and they were SO friendly and accommodating. My biggest concern was whether the change would be too much for my mom as any little variance in her daily routine triggers her aggressive behavior. They took the time with my husband and me, with my brother and most importantly, my mom, to ensure we had all the necessary paperwork in order and toured the facility in advance of her stay. The first day I dropped my mom off was very emotional for me. My mom on the other hand, was great! The staff welcomed her and incorporated her right into the activities and residents already there. Peggy was awesome dealing with me and getting me through a transition that proved to me more emotionally difficult for me than my mom. I cannot thank her or the staff enough.

tlcgiver December 05, 2013

It was a lucky day we found Somerford Place for my husband. All the people there make it special. The staff encourages the residents, to the best of their abilities, to participate in their daily activities. The residents are cared for in a kindly manner , always with love and respect and sometimes humor to keep their spirits up! My husband can be ornery at times but they take it in their stride, always trying to keep him smiling. I enjoy my visits with him, knowing that for 24 hours/day, he is taken care of by the most patient people in the world.

Caring64906450 November 28, 2013

My brother and my sister chose Somerford Place for my mom and I am not happy with the facility. The place was a good place with regards to the location and the physical appearance. The rooms were nice and of good size. My mom shares her room with another person and she feels comfortable in that room. The activities were very, very good. They had activities for physical, emotional, and social skills and I really liked that. However, they were understaffed. They have too many patients that they could not take care of and so they were always running around crazy and it was very negative. Mom ended up in the hospital because she was not given the specific food that she needed to have for her health. And the laundry, even if they label the clothing, they were able to give it to someone else.

Thank you for your feedback and we would like to extend our apologies about your disappointment with your experience at Somerford Place. In a situation such as you describe, it gives us the opportunity to review our practices and make adjustments so that these types of situations can be prevented.

Our goal is to make every resident’s stay here an enjoyable one and leave a positive impression. We pride ourselves on enhancing the resident’s quality of life by creating a caring setting with kind, well-trained staff. It is in this setting that we can foster a sense of independence, dignity and choice for your loved one, as well as the rest of the residents.

Please feel free to contact me at 209-951-6500 ext. 203, so I can discuss your concerns with you directly. Again, thank you for your feedback and please know that we are sorry you had a bad experience with us.

Thank you, Leslie Anderson Executive Director, Somerford Place Stockton

Donna73376050 October 30, 2013

One of my parents is a current resident of Somerford. I looked at a few others and it was the best one at that time. It is a very nice and caring facility. The staff is wonderful.

pleased daughter October 17, 2013

My mother has been living at Somerford for over three years. I knew when I first walked in the front door that this warm, inviting atmosphere would be just the place for my mom. And it has been. Leslie, the director, sets the tone of caring and respect that filters down to all Somerford employees. Her awareness of family concerns and residents' needs ensure a consistent level of high quality care for each resident. Caregivers are skillful and sensitive in handling each person's needs. It is so reassuring to see how respectfully they handle difficult physical issues and still allow residents to maintain their dignity. I especially want to thank Cora who takes special care of my mom. Nurses are diligent about monitoring the medical needs of each resident and keeping families informed about all aspects of their well being. I appreciate Noreen's willingness to stop and talk to me about my mother. She often shares something fun that my mom has said or done. It is very comforting that she knows everyone so well and is interacting with them so regularly. My mother enjoys the food. Meals are varied and interesting. The kitchen staff also knows each person by name as well as their individual dietary requirements. Michael from the kitchen is especially fun for the residents. He talks and teases them during their meals or whenever he encounters them in the halls. He has even started a Men's Club where the men come into the kitchen to eat together and tell stories or jokes. This seems to provide a sense of camaraderie they shared with friends before their world changed. The Activity Room, run by Chris, provides a variety of programs and lots of fun music. I am very thankful to all of the wonderful staff at Somerford for taking such good care of my mom.

Thankfully October 11, 2013

My mother has now been at Somerford Place for over two years and from the very start I knew that she would be well cared for - and she has been. Leslie sets a standard of professionalism and caring that permeates throughout the staff. Leslie's close involvement with day-to-day operations and her accessibility to family members, staff and residents themselves results in a well run and professional atmosphere. My mother will not participate in very many of the ongoing activities at Somerford but she enjoys the sense of life happening around her that the daily activity brings. She likes that "something is always going on" and I can see that it gives her a sense of still being engaged with life in general. I especially appreciate the attention to detail at Somerford which results in a beautiful garden and a celebration of the changing seasons and holidays that contributes to an active engagement of the residents in life. The staff is wonderful, following Leslie's lead of professionalism and kindness. They engage with the residents as people with their own personalities and preferences of which they are very respectful. I have observed staff to be greatly skilled in managing residents while accomplishing the many activities required of their work days. Special thanks to the kitchen staff for providing variety and nutritious (and yummy) food such that my mother gained a sorely needed 25 pounds in her first year at Somerford. I am very grateful to the wonderful staff and their daily efforts and I would recommend Somerford Place as a home for anyone in need of memory care. Thank you Leslie and staff!

haggiss October 10, 2013

The staff at Somerford have so much patience and take such good care of my wife Ida, they are always there to help with anything they are all very dedicated and are very loving and caring. The food is so good and plenty of it. I feel very comfortable having my wife at this safe and beautiful place.

New York October 10, 2013

My husband has been a resident at Someford Place in Stockton, Caifornia for about six months. From our initial contact to our current interaction, we have been very impressed with the genuine concern for the well-being of my husband and the other residents as well. Leslie, the administrator is very hands on in all the ways you would hope and pray that someone would be. The decision for our family to move my husband to Somerford was a very difficult one made easier by the caring, sensitivity and flexibility of all those involved in his care. In the transition we were impressed with the awareness of the staff to the physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual needs of the residents. The attention and flexibility which they incorporate in meeting the needs of each resident(whether it is addjusting his choices for meals, getting up or attending activities) is inspiring and very reassuring. We(our sons, their families and I) are able to feel that though this is an incredibly difficult family situation , finding a residence which affords its residents the ability to maintain self-respect when life seems to be drifting away from their control and their sense of self is compromised is incredibly reassuring. We highly recommend Somerford and while we can't mention everyone definitely wanted to especially thank Leslie, Peggy, Noreen, William, Lulu, Dolly, Mylen, Manny and Chlease who make Somerford the place it is. Thank you also to all those we didn't mention but hope you know we value all you do. Appreciatively, Pat,Miriam, Sea, Caroline, Declan, Bryan, Jenn, Brooke, Liam, Kevin, Kate, Emma, Jack, Brendan and Rachel

Brick resident October 08, 2013

My mother has been a resident of Somerford Place for almost two years, in which time I have been able to weekly observe the day to day operations. The building floor plan is perfect for those with memory loss and the decor is a pleasant home style setting. This property is maintained with the highest standards both indoors and outdoors in a safe and pleasant atmosphere. The staff is friendly, caring towards the health and welfare of all residents, and very patient while treating them with respect. They offer a great variety of activities and encourage family members and friends to participate. I am thankful that such a facility is available for my mother's care and highly recommend this place.

Stocktonresident September 06, 2013

My Mother resides at Somerford Place. I can honestly say that the staff have always gone out of their to assist her. If I have a concern, it is always addressed. Sometimes, when I can see that a problem exists, they often speak to me before I needed to say anything. What I am trying to say is that they care and look out for her welfare. The food is good, and my Mother is happy there. She attends exercise classes every day, and there are activities throughout the day and some evenings that help her with her memory loss and keeps her active and socializing with others. The layout of the facility is wonderful. Your loved one has an individual room (unless you want him/her to share). The residents socialize in a main living/dining room area near their room. There is also a main gathering room (which could be larger) where the activities are held. The outside is well kept with a cement path for walking and benches for sitting. There are courtyards through out the facility also. My family and I have been very pleased with the care, respect, and dignity given to my Mother thus far.

Jeanneking September 02, 2013

My mother Lucille has resided at Somerford Place for about 2 months now. I just can't say enough about how pleased I am with the care she is receiving at Somerford. The staff are outstanding, they and very friendly, always helpful and really appear to enjoy their work! The daily ongoing activities provided. are phenomenal as each resident is offered the opportunity to participate which allows for the much needed stimulation to maintain an active mind and body. I know my Mom has truly benefited from the activities and she especially likes the singing groups. The facility is very clean and tastefully decorated and family members may visit whenever they like and will always find Somerford warm and welcoming. Thank you, Jeanne

robert emmons August 30, 2013

My wife, Lucille needs assistance with all of her activities of daily living, bathing, dressing, walking, etc ,. except feeding herself. She was not doing well at home and it became time to seek professional care. My next door neighbor, whose late husband was a resident at Somerford had high praise for the environment at Somerford and the loving care her husband received. One of my two daughter's friends gave her the same report about the care her mother received there. My wife's two months now at Somerford have bourn out these recommendations. The four living units are each equipped with it's own serving kitchen, dining room, sitting room, and laundry and the atmosphere is very home-like. The staff members are unfailingly friendly and cheerful. The meals are tasty and nourishing including ample servings of fruit and vegetables and providing plenty of variety. At home my wife was lethargic and ate poorly. At Somerford she eats every bite of her meals and in response to the daily, 9:00 to 5:00 activities she is much more alert and cheerful. In summary, my daughters and I feel very fortunate to have Somerford Place caring for their mother, my wife of 63 years.

Darkwill73 June 27, 2012

The assistants at the care facility treated my great grandmother with much kindness and compassion during her stay. They also had a great deal of patience, which we were thankful for when she began to lose her memory and get irrationally angry at people for trying to help her, or forget who they were. There were several incidents at the facility, however, in which several of the residents seemed quite displeased with the service, and were open about taking out frustrations in front of guests. Two older gentlemen in wheelchairs once jousted in a hallway near the room where my great grandmother was at the time, and intervention in their conflict was only seen well after several of their jousts. In another incident, a gentleman with a cane walked by and threatened myself and several of my family members, his actions seemingly unsupervised by the orderlies at the facility until we brought it to their attention. Still, when their attention was focused, they did great work, which we are still thankful for when we were in a time of need with my great grandmother.

From Somerford Place of Stockton

At Somerford Place, our unique approach to caring for residents with Alzheimer's of memory loss includes helping each person to continue engaging in the world around them. Our program for Alzheimer's Care is called the Bridge to Rediscovery. The activities and philosophy of the Bridge to Rediscovery program were inspired by the Montessori-style approach to education used throughout the world to help children succeed. In the Montessori tradition, Bridge to Rediscovery focuses on the individual, and helps residents learn through meaningful, hands-on activities. This program celebrates the spirit within each resident through personalized activities that encourage creativity and self expression. We work with each resident individually, striving for small successes each day that help to create a sense of accomplishment.

Somerford Place is known for it's award winning Bridge to Rediscovery Program in which each resident through personalized activities encourage creativity and self expression. A lively community home with activities geared toward memory care from 9 am to 7 pm seven days a week. Fashion Shows, Presentations and speakers from the outside community to engage our residents are just an example of our extra activities. Our Bucket List Program helps us to create a bucket wish on their list so they can check it off. Somerford Place offers Adult Daybreak 7 days a week, Respite Stay (upon availability) and Permanent Residency. We give tours everyday of the week.

Features of Somerford Place of Stockton

• Fee Structure Extra: We Offer A Month To Month Rental

• Housing Extra: We Have Furnished Bedrooms With Bathrooms In Private, Large Shared And Small Shared Options

• Dining Extra: Meals Are Delivered To Residents Only Under Special Circumstances (Illness, Hospice, Etc.)

• Technology Extra: Cable Tv In All Common Area Living Rooms