HarborChase of Sterling Heights

Overview of Ratings

3.7

July 14, 2014

By Tigger@68

We had my dad at HarborChase less than a week. The director came out to evaluate my dad and he was placed in a cottage. First night I realize he was not where he belongs. We spoke with the director who agreed with us that my dad was cognitively higher than the other residents and did not belong there, however there were no available rooms on the other side. We were told he would be taken over for to the other cottages for activities, that did not happen. Why were we not told this before we moved my dad to HarborChase? If the sales lady had told us the appropriate room was not available we would have waited for it to open up. Fortunately, my dad was allowed back in his former senior place until another memory care unit has space for him. My dad sat all day in front of the TV except for meal time while at HarborChase. He was to get a choice of 2 entrees at meals, no one ever asked him what he wanted, they just slid a plate across the table to him. He was to get 2 snacks a day, one day he received one, the other days, none. If you love your loved one please don't place them at this facility or if you do, be sure they have the right placement before you even move them. Everyone, no matter their mental status deserves respect, I did not see this at HarborChase.

March 21, 2014

Harborchase is the one I really liked. It's setup like in a square. I liked that they have different levels for Alzheimer's or dementia. It depends on how bad your dementia or your Alzheimer's is, which hallway you'd be in, how much care and how much assistance you need. I think it's the best facility for dad. I didn't get to know the staff, but I got to know the person that was showing us around. She seemed to be very good and she explained how their philosophy was, and what would look like what would be the best for my dad, being that his Alzheimer's is getting worse and worse. They were setup nicely and I could see my dad living there and there wouldn't be a problem.

February 24, 2014

We were thinking about getting home care for dad, but we decided to put him at HarborChase of Sterling Heights. The staff is very caring and probably the biggest thing for us is that he has his own private room with a bedroom and a small living room. The facility is very clean. The staff is very responsive and kind. My dad does not participate in a lot of activities but I know they have outings were they go out and then I think they have bingo and other things going on. I would recommend this facility.

May 28, 2013

By jsteph

My fathewsa a resident at Harbor Chase for 10 monthes. My dad was placed in a lower functiing cottage with the promise he would be moved to one of the higher functioning cottages he never was. As a frequent visitor I rarely saw them doing any activities other than sitting in front of the tv while most aides sat in the dining area o breakroom talking amongst themselves. There were a few that worked therethat were good. My dad waas without a functioning toilet for 3 days and the odor in his room was terrible, didn't seem to be any urgency t fix it. The food was not very good unless it was a party where residents families wouldbe attending then they went all out. For the5400.00 dollars a month I was paying I couldn't even get my dad a glass of milk, I was told the kitchen is CLOSED. These are just a few of the problems. Thank goodness I was able to move him to a beautiful new facility.

May 14, 2013

By Sue18

I learned about this facility through Caring.Com then I thought about touring the place, but their monthly cost was so much more than the other places. But then we realized that we really needed to find someplace for my dad to go. What really sold me was even though it's an assisted living program, they seem to take a lot of people there with a lot of different medical problems and they specialize in Alzheimer's and dementia care. They also had a lot of suggestions on what they can do on how to prevent a fall. So that really was important to me and that really was important to me because if he's not falling down then he's not declining as fast. There are four different cottages that the residents stay and what they do is they put the person in the a cottage where the people are in the same mental level. My dad is very much talkative and sociable so he'll be living in a unit with other people that can still carry on a conversation. If he declines, he'll be moved to another where people are talking a little less. The place is beautiful. It has vaulted ceiling and wood beams; it was very, very impressive. It's so very open and each person has their own apartment which has a bedroom, sitting room and a bath room. So they are not cramped in. The staff were very friendly, knowledgeable and took the time to answer questions when I called in. We really appreciated that they did not have set visiting hours so any time of the day or night if I want to go there and visit my dad, I can. I would recommend this place to others especially with someone dealing with dementia. They have so much more in place especially with staff being able to deal with people who have Alzheimer's and dementia.

May 30, 2012

By frustrated loved one

Most of the caregivers are caring but under paid given their duties resulting in high turnover rates and decreased motivation. Activity levels for residences highly lacking. No food choices result in lack of eatting by residence. Moving a family member with dementia is very difficult so research is key.

March 31, 2012

By VickiS1

Pros - Facility is nice and clean. Each cottage has 20 residents. Caregivers are kind. Special events for residents and family are well done and appreciated. Cons - Not many regular activities besides BINGO for residents. Communication could be improved between caregivers, med managers and nurses.

March 21, 2012

By Resident daughter

This is a reasonably priced facility for a loved one with dem./alz. At times there are not enough Caregivers for the residents. Overall, we have been satisfied with the care my parent has received in the last 1.5 years there. The food isn't great, but it seems nutrionally correct, and the Caregivers do seem to really care about keeping the residents comfortable & safe. For the most part, the Outings are few and far between. They definitely like to keep the families involved though, and have plenty of lovely parties for the resident/families. Overall, we are satisfied with our decision to keep our loved one at HarborChase of Sterling Heights.

December 08, 2011

By Duckles

I was really impressed with the entire facility at Harbor Chase. The staff seemed to be very attentive, often times having to break away from a conversation to hurry off to one of the rooms to assist an occupant in various ways. The grounds are kept well, and it has all of the amenities one would come to expect from a home for the elderly who suffer from Alzheimer's and Dementia. One of the only downsides that I could mention would be the amount of patients to staff ratio. More people on duty would allow for a better approach to caring for so many patients. I would recommend to anyone looking for a great location to find suitable lodgings for someone who suffers from the aforementioned illnesses.

July 28, 2011

Harbor Chase is a Alzheimer's and dementia care facility. It houses 20 residents in each of it's four cottages. It's very nice and I feel the residents get excellent care. Activities and outings keep the residents active.

Photos of HarborChase of Sterling Heights

Features of HarborChase of Sterling Heights

• Fee Structure Extra: We Offer A Month To Month Rental

• Pharma

• Licenses: Adult Foster Care Home
  • State Licenses: AL500263225

About HarborChase of Sterling Heights

Celebrating senior living each and every day!

Welcome to HarborChase of Sterling Heights, and the highest standard of Dementia and Alzheimer's care. Respect and simple kindness abound here as we celebrate each individual life with the dignity it has earned and a warm appreciation of chapters still to unfold.

We know you're facing a difficult decision. That's why we're here, and why we do what we do. We understand the challenges you face when caring for a loved one with memory loss, dementia, or Alzheimer's. But now imagine a new home where lovely surroundings, tasty food, and a compassionate, competent staff make each day shine. This is HarborChase of Sterling Heights, where we pride ourselves on setting the gold standard every day.

Come visit and experience our tradition of excellence in Dementia and Alzheimer's care.

Call today; this could be your truest act of love.

We have 4 cottages and only 20 residents in a homelike setting. We specialize in memory care.

Map of HarborChase of Sterling Heights