Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk

1516 Harmon Street, Norfolk, VA, 23518

Reviews of Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk

Pamela Wade October 27, 2014

Commonwealth Assisted Living is a very fine facility for those with memory problems. My mother has resided here for over a year and has improved in her health and disposition. The staff is caring and has been a godsend to our family.

Via beach July 11, 2014

It's difficult for me to list all of the specifics but the most concerning issues I will cover in this review. The staff might seem nice but if you are not there to follow up on your loved one every day, their care will decline and their safety will be compromised. The facility smells strongly of urine and I was told this is due to many of the residents' issues with incontinence. I have visited a number of other facilities with incontinent residents and the smell is not present. This facility has a nurse practitioner that visits every Tuesday and cannot come more often. He is extremely difficult to reach by phone and the staff admits they only contact him through email/faxes. I can't dive into the problems this caused with my father but I can say that the staff openly complained to me that they were tired of watching my father try to use the bathroom and fall and so they started putting diapers on him and then stopped providing necessary fluids. Last night, at my insistence, my father was transported to Depaul's ER where it was found that he had renal failure and his kidneys were shutting down due to severe dehydration due to NO other reason than lack of fluids. My father always complained to me he wanted more "meals" and when I would give him a glass of water he would gulp it. How did the staff fail to realize he was no longer producing urine? How did they fail to realize his breathing was so labored and hear that his lungs were so full of fluid he had lost the ability to speak? How???? Even a few hours before his transport to the ER was arranged they were still insisting he would not see a doctor until his next rounds 5 days later! The doctors at the hospital have agreed that my father, if he makes it, will NOT go back to this facility. An otherwise healthy elderly individual does not become deathly dehydrated unless they are neglected. My father has lost the ability to verbalize his needs due to his dementia so the nursing staff should have known that he wasn't consuming enough fluid and had stopped producing urine...this is what they are paid to do.

Susie4 August 25, 2013

Mom is at Commonwealth Memory Care. It is our choice because of the levels of care available and she needs the highest level of care. The staff is impressive and her room is really large. They take them to the common room where we have family dinners. They have a music room to calm the agitated residents. They take them for outings.

Donlad July 25, 2013

My sister has been living with Commonwealth Memory Care for a couple of years now and I'm completely satisfied with them. The staff are great and everybody is friendly.

Caring2640 May 31, 2013

Commonwealth Memory Care was fantastic. The place is fine, really nice and clean. The staff is good. Everybody works hard to take care of my mom. They loved her and didn't want to see her go but I couldn't afford to keep her there anymore. If you have money that's a great place to go.

msyke008 May 08, 2012

I think the facility does a great job with assisting the elderly in need of care. They recently did a renovation and the new patio and other add-ons look great and allow residents to enjoy being outside. The rooms are well furnished and the facility is well-taken care of. They conduct a family night every month that allows family to come eat with the residents for a certain theme, such as Christmas or Easter, which is a wonderful way to celebrate various holidays and visit the residents. The upper faculty, such as the activities coordinator and the head management, tends to shift a lot, which can sometimes be frustrating because the residents and their family must adjust to new ways of doing things quite frequently. I also think the facility should try to match roommates according to similarity, my grandfather is often roommates with residents who are more advanced stages of their illnesses and may be unable to speak, whereas he would prefer someone in a similar stage, someone he can converse with. Overall, the faculty at Commonwealth Memory Care are helpful and friendly and I trust them in caring for my grandfather.

From Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk

Welcome to Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk, offering residents secure and round-the-clock care in a community that celebrates their uniqueness and individuality. Conveniently located in Norfolk, Commonwealth Memory Care is the only memory care facility in the area dedicated to the care of those with Alzheimer's, dementia and memory loss. We're situated close to three major medical campuses and medical offices. Our community specializes in meeting the needs of residents with Alzheimer's and other dementias.

Our commitment to our residents has been reinforced by our recent and extensive renovation. We believe in creating the best environment possible for our residents. That's also one of the reasons we invest in our signature Sweet Memories program, which received a best practice award from the Virginia Assisted Living Association. It's managed with compassionate, 24-hour caregivers, specially trained to offer those experiencing memory loss, Alzheimer's or dementia the attention they need, as well as the safety and security they require. We understand that Alzheimer's and dementia affect not just an individual, but entire families. We have extensive experience working with loved ones to create a home-like and secure environment that supports the health and needs of each resident.

We have designed this community with intensive memory care needs in mind, such as constant access to care, individualized activities and the opportunity to socialize and maintain physical health. For example, our full-time activities director coordinates regular activities and our team members deliver personalized care services with sensitivity and respect. Residents enjoy suites and companion rooms with private baths. Personal and dignified care is vital and we develop an individualized care plan for each resident that includes quarterly care plan reviews with families. We also offer monthly support group meetings for families and family night dinners. Each person has unique needs and we tailor services to our residents, such as medication management and weekly housekeeping and linen service. We encourage you to explore Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk further and schedule a tour today.

Commonwealth Memory Care divides the levels of care based on the resident's cognitive ability rather than physical ability. We offer our signature "Sweet Memories" program, providing care based on each resident's life story.

Features of Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk

• Minimum Memory Cost: $4110/month
  • Fee Structure Extra: We Offer A Month To Month Rental

• Dining Extra: Dining Rooms Offered On Each Floor

• Features Extra: Outdoor Secure Balconies On 2nd & 3rd Floor

• Tai Chi
  • Activities Extra: Trivia, Spirit Of Norfolk Lunch Cruise, Walking Club, "Lunch Bunch", Live Entertainment

• Home Sale Assistance
  • Financial Guidance Extra: Alzheimer's Waiver

• Licenses: Assisted Living (Memory Care)

Location of Commonwealth Memory Care at Norfolk