Valley Crest Memory Care

18524 Corwin Road, Apple Valley, CA, 92307

Reviews of Valley Crest Memory Care

November 24, 2016

By Ana743236

The staff at Valley Crest Memory Care was OK, but I did not care for the place and would not put my brother there. It had an odor, and the residents didn't look really happy. The dining area was OK.

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way. We value our residents and families are constantly striving to make our community as enjoyable as possible. If you would like to discuss your review, we would appreciate the opportunity, please call the Executive Director at (760) 475-9109.

October 27, 2016

By Carole606146

Valley Crest Memory Care has much lower functioning. We visited, we saw them right after the dinner hour, and they’re like little alive vegetables. They don’t look up and respond. My cousin is so high functioning, so they showed her 2 rooms. One of the women that lived there groped physically everybody. She must have been a home blend security person at the airport patting everybody down the way she was patting everybody. And then when I told her that she had a good heart, she became violent. They showed us another room, and in that room which was very dark and there was no TV, a woman sleeps all the time 24/7, and she has been there many years. They said usually they never even talk to the patient. They talk to the family. They do have music environments, and they do play certain music. They seem to be really aware of things that the patients need to soothe themselves and to help them respond to things that are just positive. It was old and dreary. It’s motel-looking rooms, but everything is clean and neat. Every one of those ladies is registered nurses, and they have memory care certificates. The esthetics is not for me, but if your loved one is off in the cloud and doesn’t even recognize you, it would be perfect because they care about that patient and his shortcomings, and they make sure that patient and their shortcomings are addressed on a one-to-one basis. I was so impressed with that.

Carole606146, thank you for leaving this detailed positive 5 star review about your experience with our community. We thank you for your consideration and hope that you find the community that is best suited for your cousin.

October 20, 2016

By Chuck001653

Valley Crest has a very competent, very friendly, and very efficient crew. The administrative staff is outstanding. They give an excellent job in taking her in, getting her in a good program, and getting the good memory care that she is missing in other places. She is adopting really well. I guess the caring attitude of the people from the administration down to the day-to-day caregivers stand out.

You really made our day, thank you for sharing your experience and your 5 star positive review! We always love to receive great feedback and positive reviews. We strive to provide excellent care and service to our residents and their families at Valley Crest Memory Care. Thank you for noticing and sharing!

October 05, 2016

By Ltanya508755

Valley Crest was very pretty nice, and the staff was good. They have 2-bed units with a TV and pretty nice bathroom. They have a nice activity room. The director and the staff were all very nice.

Ltanya508755, thank you for leaving this detailed review about your experience with our community. We appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again.

July 06, 2016

By rd52

valley crest is a very nice place, very clean and the staff is very respectful and caring to the residents. the caregivers also have personality and never have a dull moment with the residents.

Rd52, thank you for taking the time to leave us your positive 5 star review. We recently started a Facebook page and post weekly pictures of our residents. (The link to the Facebook page is on our website).

July 03, 2016

By Fred Murphy

Care Givers My wife has been a resident at Valley Crest Memory Care facility in Apple Valley, California since November of 2015. She had spent all most a year in the hospital or an acute care center for a number of physical ailments. In November I was informed that her 100 days with Medicare will run out and her other insurance would not cover her any more. Due to her inability to walk and her slipping further into dementia I knew I could no longer care for her at home. Over the past few years I have looked at facilities in the high desert to place her in if it became necessary. As it turned out I wisely chose Valley Crest. The first time I visited Valley Crest I could see how well the care givers looked after the residents. At first I was skeptical because the last acute care facility was understaffed and did not give my wife the care I felt she should have received. Within a very short period of time the care givers at Valley Crest set my mind at ease. I was very impressed with the loving care the residents received from the care givers. Taking care of elderly patients is a task in itself and factor in an elderly patient with Alzheimer’s or Dementia the task becomes even more difficult. I am amazed at the level of loving care the care givers at Valley Crest give to the residents. They never lose their temper at a resident. They seem to be able to calm them down with love and concern. I have seen them both verbally and physically assaulted and still maintain their composure. My wife has received the best of care at Valley Crest. She is always kept clean and well groomed. She always has clean clothes. I do not have the words to express how happy I am with the care she receives at Valley Crest. I would be remise if I did not mention the wonderful ladies that prepare the meals for the residents. Triva is the Dining Services Director. She is always open to suggestions to make the meals more enjoyable for the residents. They do an outstanding job preparing and serving the meals for the residents. When time permits they assist the care givers in hand feeding the resident who require it. I am always there for the evening meal so I know the meals are well prepared and tasty. Valley Crest has a resident nurse, Melanie. She works long hours to ensure the residents are cared for medically. She works with the med techs and the shift leader (med techs are part of the care giver team) to ensure the medications are current and given at the proper time. She ensures that the care givers check each resident for any problems with their skin daily. If a problem exists she ensures it gets cleared up before it becomes a real problem. She coordinates with doctors for treatment and any other problem that might arise. Her day nominally ends at 4:30pm I have seen her spend an entire night there with a resident. Again I cannot say enough positive things about the care my wife receives at Valley Crest. Valley Crest also has an activity’s director, Jean. This kind lady always has something going on for the residents. She has arts and crafts for the residents, movies and live entertainment. The residents all enjoy the activities very much. I was also very impressed with Kimberly, the Executive Director and her management staff. Like me most people who walk into Valley Crest for the first time are emotionally unstable due to concern for a love one. Kim and her staff help to calm you down and make you feel at home. I have been to other facilities and have never gotten the feeling of calmness that I did at Valley Crest. Yolanda is the Community Relations Manager. On my second visit to Valley Crest Yolanda took me on a tour of the facility. She pointed out all the features that were important to me. Knowing my concerns she took as much time as needed to ease my mind. All in all every night when I leave Valley Crest even though I would rather have the love of my life at home with me I know she is in very good hands.

We appreciate you taking the time to review us and share your heartfelt experience! Thank you for entrusting us with the care of your beloved. We understand what an important decision this is and we are honored that you chose us.

May 11, 2016

By Tori1

They forgot that I had a scheduled appointment and had someone fill in for the person who forgot my appointment who was friendly, but I thought she was very insensitive to the situation. While my husband and I were speaking to her, a nurse came in and called in the death of a patient with me sitting there. She said this patient’s name three times and repeated three times that she had passed away at the facility, and so I left crying. This is an extremely difficult time for my family, and I thought that this was not only disrespectful to me but to the family of that person who passed away. I was absolutely beside myself, and I put that review online. Valley Crest called me for a follow up, and I told them the exact same thing, and they just acted like it was no big deal. They weren’t even apologetic. It was so unprofessional to forget my appointment, and then to have that nurse come in and talk about somebody dying with me sitting right there. Of course, if my father ended up there, he would die there. I’m very aware of that, but I didn’t need somebody to be so blunt, rude, and disrespectful about the loss of a life. I understand that nurses deal with that day in and day out, and they have to have some kind of desensitization to it, but this is all new to me, and I’m just so disturbed by it. I wouldn’t recommend them to anybody because I wouldn’t want anybody to feel as sad as I did when I left. The actual facility was fine the way it looked and clean. It was just those two incidents which made me feel like you only get one chance at a first impression when they’re trying to convince me that this would be the best place for my dad. I don’t feel that that would be the place for him when they don’t care.

Hi Tori, we appreciate you taking the time to share your review. We at Valley Crest Memory Care take our reviews very seriously. We are sorry that you had a negative experience, but are glad you brought this to our attention. If you are willing, we would like to discuss this with you further. Thank you for leaving your feedback, and we hope to hear from you in the future. Valley Crest Memory Care (760) 475-9109

April 03, 2016

By Judy K

My mother-in-law has been in Valley Crest for almost 2 years now. The staff is very caring and they do extras...she gets manicures and they do pay attention to her hair. When she first was there the lunch experience was always very satisfactory. We are only there during the lunch hour. We recently went for a visit and found lunch to be a total disaster. Very unorganized. The tables were not set at 11:30 when the residents arrive in the dining room. There were a few place settings but only one or two at tables for four. They used to provide a cup that could be sipped from with a lid to every resident. There used to be cups of water with lids on them for each resident. A sippy type cup. This day there was only ONE cup with a lid per table. The residents were given styrofoam cups which many could not use. The help was running back and forth with water cups rather than assigning one person to go around with a pitcher and fill cups. Those who needed help to eat had very little help. A few spoonfuls and that was it. They give a spoonful and leave. Plates were not emptied and mostly due to the fact that no one stayed with a resident long enough to finish the plate. One of the help was brushing a resident's hair in the dining room, which should never be done. It was almost chaotic watching these gals run around and not knowing what to do. My mother-in-law does not have teeth and we were told by my father-in-law that she was brought a skimpy sandwich with lettuce on it, which she really cannot eat. More attention needs to be paid to meals and the dining. We were extremely disappointed at our last visit. Something has changed that it was so unorganized. Yes, they are a very caring group of workers and they treat the residents nicely, tease them a little and "play" with them a little....but meals are important and need to be served and done in a better manner. They really need to stagger the groups in the skilled nursing part of the dining room and bring in a few at a time so they can better help them with eating. Then bring in another small group. Lunch or dinner would only need a little more time to do that and would better serve the residents. It would go much faster as well. For the cost that is paid per resident this should have never been an issue.

Hi Judy, we are very sorry to hear you had a negative experience, and we thank you for bringing it to our attention. If you are willing, we would like to discuss this with you further. Would you please contact us at the community so we can speak on ways to remedy this situation? (760) 475-9109

June 30, 2015

By Candace7

Valley Crest Memory Care is a nice place. The staff is caring and keeps you up-to-date on what's going on with your parent. My mother has a two-bedroom with a TV and a bathroom. They're not something five star, but they're OK. The dining room is fine, the food is fine, and she is not complaining about it. They play domino, cards, and puzzles, and they do gardening, they have people come in and entertain them, and they have a TV room. They should improve on the maintenance of the room. She has a bathroom door that doesn't shut all the way. Security and safety is just fine. They have a door that you have to buzz to be let in or you have to know the combination.

June 16, 2015

My relative is in Valley Crest. The rooms are satisfactory. The staff are very caring, loving, and very attentive to the residents. The food is pretty good. They do play memory games to stimulate their brain activities. They have religious services and arts and crafts, and they allow the residents to listen to various types of music. For the ladies, they do manicures. It is pleasant and calm there.

March 08, 2015

By Karen101742950

We have been to Valley Crest for some meetings for dementia and Alzheimer’s. I spoke with them several times about things, and I am looking at trying the respite. It seems like a nice facility, but it is a bit older. The receptionist buzzes people out like regular people that are there visiting. The residents had access to that lobby area, which is not OK for mom.

March 30, 2014

My mom is now at Valley Crest Memory Care. We chose them because there weren't a whole lot of options around here, and they were the most economical for what they are providing. Prior to that, I didn't know them from anybody else, but since my mom has been there, I have been very happy with the way they treat her and take care of her. They take care of her there - They maintain her medication, they provide a laundry service so that she doesn't have to do everything, they just do everything for her. They also have a nice back area with a bench area where they have a little patio. They have a big dining room. This place is more like a hotel type thing, but it is all internal. My mom likes the food, but she is just not happy with everything they make. However, nobody is really happy with anything that is on the menu like that. Nevertheless, she is happy and satisfied. I have eaten there before when I visited, and the food was fine.

August 06, 2012

By California

My mother was a resident at this facility a couple years back and they were wonderful! My mother got the best of care and the employees treated her and us like family.

January 21, 2012

By erspears

I recently visited my grandfather at Valley Crest Residential Care in Apple Valley, CA. It had been the first time I'd seen him in years, and I was pleased to see that he was well taken care of at that facility. He has Alzheimer's, and the facility focuses on Alzheimer's and Dementia patients. The staff is helpful, knowledgeable, and attentive to the residents' needs. In the main resident hallway, by the doors to the patients' rooms are memory boxes, which are filled with photographs and items that are special to each of the patients, and are used to help the residents find their way back to their own room. At the end of the hall, are doors that led to a more intensive care ward for those patients and residents whose diseases had progressed so far that they could no longer live with the main population. During the visit, my parents and I went to lunch with my grandfather in the cafeteria. That's where I saw the patience of the staff really show; to get several dozen demented and Alzheimer's-stricken residents into a room, let alone an orderly single-file line, is, as my mother described it at the time, like herding cats. Nobody was frustrated, just patient with the residents. Even before the lunch-line began forming, and we were just chatting with my grandfather, the staff was attentive to both his and our needs. Lunch itself seemed quite nice, as well. Residents were served soups and salads, among other food stuffs. There were a couple of residents, characters in their own right, bantering loudly back and forth at an adjacent table, and they were hilarious. They seemed to bother my grandfather at first, but a staff member came by and reassured him that they meant him no harm. He quietly drank his tea and forgot about it, after that. The best part of the visit was seeing the mini art gallery in the cafeteria. Each of the residents is given the opportunity to paint and draw, and those paintings are hung in a rotating exhibition on the so-called Valley Crest Art Gallery wall. All of the paintings were generally crude, but all of them were so honest, and so beautiful. I had never seen my grandfather make any art, and it was really astounding to see. He'd been so critical for years of my father making art, and me making art, that it was touching to see him doing the same. It was all the more sad that it took a crippling disease to get him out of that shell.

January 21, 2012

By jerrysdl

Valley Crest Residential Care is a reasonably priced nursing home focused on caring for patients with Alzheimers and other memory loss problems. The nursing home is fairly small with two long hallways of shared rooms in each of two wards. The ward at the back of the building is for those in need of more care and/or hospice. The place is very homey for an institution. In the waiting area near the front desk, there is a faux fireplace and several armchairs for patients or relatives. There's a TV room and an annex to the room, both of which contain sofas and chairs. The dining area is divided into two spaces also, and the walls are decorated with patient artwork. The grounds outside are well maintained; in the summer, patients are allowed to help with planting and caring for the flowers. The patient rooms easily contain two beds, nightstands, dressers, and typically one easy chair or recliner. Outside of each room is a memory box which contains both the patient's name as well as photos and memorabilia provided by family members to help patients find their rooms. The staff at Valley Crest are on the whole friendly and kind to the patients and family members. The facility offers monthly events and excursions for patients (like trips to Denny's or a luau in the summer). Patients are free to wander about in their ward and outside if they are interested. The staff tries to provide them with jobs if they are interested and able (helping with clearing tables, sweeping leaves, etc.). Sometimes they are a bit slow to let us know when they are out of supplies for my father-in-law, but overall, he seems well-cared for. I would recommend Valley Crest Residential Care to anyone looking for a caring, home-like atmosphere for a family member.

Photos of Valley Crest Memory Care

Features of Valley Crest Memory Care

• Minimum Memory Cost: $3250/month
  • Fee Structure Extra: We Offer A Month To Month Rental

• Features Extra: Delayed Egress System, Secured Envirnment

• Activities Extra: Legacies Memory Care Program, Namaste Program, Music In The Making Program.

Affiliations

• Affiliations Extra: We Welcome Various Religious Faiths That Are Scheduled Through Our Activities Program

• Staff Patient Ratio: 1 To 7
  • Pets: No Pets Allowed

• Licenses: Lic 203a #36642374

About Valley Crest Memory Care

Valley Crest Pacifica strives to be a resident focused community where residents enjoy successes within their daily activities. Our approach is to help emphasize strengths, dignity and self-worth, all while enhancing independence and wellness. Each resident receives a personalized care plan that is carefully implemented by our compassionate staff. We offer private and shared living units. A memory care specific community with a home like atmosphere located in the vibrant community of Apple Valley.

Map of Valley Crest Memory Care