Sterling Place

22800 Civic Center Dr, Southfield, MI, 48034

Reviews of Sterling Place

Caring104157650 April 19, 2015

I had been in Heatherwood (now Sterling Place) before to visit some friends there, and they seem to enjoy it. I liked their staff. I liked their rooms too; they were spacious. It was nice, and I liked it. I saw a game room and a library, and they had a place where people could walk outside and enjoy the view out there too.

Caring105115050 April 17, 2015

I got my mom into Sterling Place, but unfortunately she passed away on March 20th. It was nice even when they were going through the transition and everything; it was just really nice. The food was OK. They had a daily exercise class, bingo nights, movie nights (3 choices a week), a nice little library with computer access if anybody wanted to go online, and trips to the casino. I would recommend it. For senior housing, this would be the place to be.

Linda102563850 February 22, 2015

I like the way that the people from The Heatherwood; they were people that my mother could communicate with and interact with. The rooms were nice. They were working with me with things that I wanted and needed.

lovingdaughter24240 December 17, 2014

I would not advise anyone to place a love one in Heatherwood. There always staff hanging out back smoking. Onebody seem like they want to work there. The halls smells at times very badly. Just if you have love one there pop in at odd times you see.....

Caring88613350 November 14, 2014

We visited Heatherwood because a couple my friends' parents were there. Everything was very nice. The staff was very accommodating. I hadn't tasted the food, but I heard that it was good. I saw the apartments, and they were nice. They had activities. It seemed to be secured enough. I would most definitely recommend it to others.

caring93283050 May 29, 2014

I visited The Heatherwood, but I did not like it much. It seemed more like a nursing home setting to me, and they didn’t have very big, spacious apartments. It was smaller. It was nice, and everything was clean, but it just wasn’t spacious. The dining area downstairs and everything was big. The staff seemed to be nice.

Happily employed September 10, 2013

I think it is a wonderful place. Staff seems to go above and beyond to ensure residents are safe and have what they need. It is an independent living community and residents are free to come and go as they please. Food and entertainment are GREAT. Management is very responsive.

Deborah15 August 01, 2013

The staff at the Heatherwood was excellent. Their rooms were nice. Some had a porch which was nice and something a little different from some of the other homes . It had a home like feel. They were in the process of updating. They had transportation and housekeeping. Their food was delicious. I would definitely recommend them to others.

concernedson2 October 06, 2012

Personally I did not have a very good experience with this particular facility. Almost all of the people working there seemed as if they did not enjoy being there. Many times workers seemed agitated, irritated, or annoyed to be dealing with residents that required any type of specialized assistance which was almost all of the residents. My father was living there after suffering a stroke and because of his stroke he would often times become confused. One night I received a phone call saying that I needed to come up and get my father urgently because he had tried to run away from the facility. When I got there the manager of the facility told me that he was no longer welcome to live at their facility and that he needed to find a new place to live immediately. I was outraged to say the least. I understand that they are worried about the possibility of him trying to leave again, but what I don't understand is how and assisted living home is not equipped to deal with these types of occurrences. I am convinced that this would not have happened if employees of the Heatherwood were more attentive and caring for residents. Although the food there wasn't bad, I would not recommend this place to anyone.

caring7131 August 14, 2012

I wouldn't take my dog there. It wasn't clean. Yes, I'm an elderly person, but I also like clean places. It had an odor to it. It smelled of urine and old people which was very disappointing because the location was wonderful. Their staff was almost like they didn't care. I don't know if it was a bad day or what it was, but it was not a good experience for me.

Social Worker # 1 December 06, 2011

I think The Heather wood Independent Living Retirement is an excellent choice for placement for someone who is looking for an independent Retirement community to fulfill their life style. They provide assistance within the comfort of each individual resident's apartment. The also offer supportive services that meet their residents individual centered plans of care. They provide the highest level of care to their residents that is provided by their skilled trained Nurses, Cena's that is on site 24/7. They provide a varied menu for their residents in their fine dining area formally setting for their residents to enjoy.

While there, I noticed that their residents were having various social events. Some times they provide for their residents there a social event happy hour for their residents to socialize and interact with one another. They talk and mingle sociably within their senior community there. They all seem to know one another very well they even provide dancing events for their residents to enjoy and stay youthful as they possibly can. Their staff members are skilled, trained, very professional, team and task oriented in their job duties and performances. They offer their residents with an array of services and encourage them to remain independent as possible. I would rank this facility a five stars rating for their excellence and expertise.

From Sterling Place

Sterling Place is a senior living community in Southfield, MI for seniors who still are able to live independently but would like to live in a community with other seniors. The community is run by national company Holiday Retirement, which runs more than 300 senior living communities nationwide. Located only a few minutes from the larger Detroit area, the community is in close proximity to numerous medical facilities, shopping, dining and entertainment.

COSTS

Apartments at Sterling Place start around $2,700 per month, depending on the size of the living space and whether or not home care is needed. Residents who require care will pay according to the services they need and use.

AMENITIES

Sterling Place offers spacious rooms, a large communal dining area, community living room and game room, and a library, among other amenities. Three daily meals are served in the community’s formal dining room. Meals and housekeeping are included in monthly fees. Residents are welcome to invite visiting guests to share meals at the community. The community also arranges transportation to medical appointments and shopping areas.

ACTIVITIES AND OUTINGS

Staff at Sterling Place arranges an array of regular activities each day. For residents looking to stay physically active, there are a number of different exercise classes geared toward seniors, such as strength training. Other common activities include bingo or poker games, computer classes, jewelry making, movies nights and happy hours. Worship services are held on Sunday.

The community also organizes regular outings to local restaurants, shopping centers, and casinos, among other local sites.

CARE AVAILABLE

Although Sterling Place is an independent living community, residents can also receive home care from the community’s on-site nursing staff if needed. This allows residents the independence they’re accustomed to with the assurance that they can access health care or assistance in their own home.

Features of Sterling Place

• Companion suites: We do not offer companion suites

• Shared space where residents can host parties

• Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• Private services