Sterling Place

22800 Civic Center Dr, Southfield, MI, 48034

Reviews of Sterling Place

Caring108364850 June 16, 2015

Sterling Place is independent and assisted living. The rooms are very nice inside. You could of course bring your own furniture. My mom has a one-bedroom with a living room and a small kitchen for cooking if they wish to cook, although the dining room is really where they eat. They get three meals: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The dining room is setup with real glasses, plates, and white table cloths. They have formal dining. They have an activities room where they play games or have many activities. There is also a living room and a fireplace where they have activities as well. When they have entertainment, sometimes it overflows into the living room. They have a lot of activities for them. They also have a rehabilitation department for physical therapy. They have a library and two laundry rooms. They have studios and one-bedrooms, and in some instances where they have couples, they have a two-bedroom. The one bedroom is very nice. We are trying to get used to the food. The food is probably what they should be because they are low in sodium and no fried food. The portions are not really large, but they are sufficient, although it is kind of bland. They don't use a lot of seasoning in the food. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The assisted living is private and is not staff members of Sterling Place. They contracted in a health care or caregivers. So it is like a separate contract that you have to pay for if your loved one requires assisted living. I think it is entirely too expensive. That is one reason I was looking because it is going up for one-bedroom and three meals. Nobody gets up to eat breakfast, which has hardly anything anyway. Their breakfast is very minimal like an egg and a piece of toast or cereal. They do have a lot of men there because they give a consideration for veterans. They give some kind of discount if they are veterans. They have special things for men like pool table. Women can go there too, but it is mostly for men. The place itself has a beautiful setting. It sits back off the street with beautiful lawns and trees. They have outdoor type sitting either on the porch or they can go out back to a garden area. It is a little too pricey, and not everybody can afford it.

Caring106116650 May 05, 2015

Sterling Place is OK. All of the staff was nice except for one that I didn't really particularly care for because of what she said in public especially with people walking around thinking about moving someone in there. The young lady was talking about one of the clients saying she can’t talk to her that way and she doesn't care if she is old. I thought that was very tacky. The rooms were clean, and it was smaller than where my friend currently is in. The dining area is nice with a beautiful view of the park like area. As for security, there is always someone at the front desk. The tour guide was friendly. Me personally I don't know if I can recommend it to others because of the one staff member. I hate to say something about the whole place because of one staff member, but I wouldn't send anyone there because of the way she talked about one of their clients. You have to be patient with them.

Hi - I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement Home Office. I'm so sorry to hear that you had a negative tour experience, especially because it seems like your negative experience was largely due to one Holiday associate. We agree that our residents need to be treated with respect, patience, and sincerity. Unfortunately we can't recreate your tour experience, but we can take action. Do you happen to remember the associate's name? Or a physical description? If so, feel free to call our Resident Relations department at 1-800-370-8331 so we can get more details and determine the best course of action. Thank you for your sincere review, Katie

Dominick2 April 27, 2015

Sterling Place is a nice community. It seems like the staff is really nice. She really liked the atmosphere when we brought her there to see it. It was in her price range.

Caring104157650 April 19, 2015

I had been in Heatherwood (now Sterling Place) before to visit some friends there, and they seem to enjoy it. I liked their staff. I liked their rooms too; they were spacious. It was nice, and I liked it. I saw a game room and a library, and they had a place where people could walk outside and enjoy the view out there too.

Caring105115050 April 17, 2015

I got my mom into Sterling Place, but unfortunately she passed away on March 20th. It was nice even when they were going through the transition and everything; it was just really nice. The food was OK. They had a daily exercise class, bingo nights, movie nights (3 choices a week), a nice little library with computer access if anybody wanted to go online, and trips to the casino. I would recommend it. For senior housing, this would be the place to be.

Linda102563850 February 22, 2015

I like the way that the people from The Heatherwood; they were people that my mother could communicate with and interact with. The rooms were nice. They were working with me with things that I wanted and needed.

lovingdaughter24240 December 17, 2014

I would not advise anyone to place a love one in Heatherwood. There always staff hanging out back smoking. Onebody seem like they want to work there. The halls smells at times very badly. Just if you have love one there pop in at odd times you see.....

Caring88613350 November 14, 2014

We visited Heatherwood because a couple my friends' parents were there. Everything was very nice. The staff was very accommodating. I hadn't tasted the food, but I heard that it was good. I saw the apartments, and they were nice. They had activities. It seemed to be secured enough. I would most definitely recommend it to others.

caring93283050 May 29, 2014

I visited The Heatherwood, but I did not like it much. It seemed more like a nursing home setting to me, and they didn’t have very big, spacious apartments. It was smaller. It was nice, and everything was clean, but it just wasn’t spacious. The dining area downstairs and everything was big. The staff seemed to be nice.

Happily employed September 10, 2013

I think it is a wonderful place. Staff seems to go above and beyond to ensure residents are safe and have what they need. It is an independent living community and residents are free to come and go as they please. Food and entertainment are GREAT. Management is very responsive.

Deborah15 August 01, 2013

The staff at the Heatherwood was excellent. Their rooms were nice. Some had a porch which was nice and something a little different from some of the other homes . It had a home like feel. They were in the process of updating. They had transportation and housekeeping. Their food was delicious. I would definitely recommend them to others.

concernedson2 October 06, 2012

Personally I did not have a very good experience with this particular facility. Almost all of the people working there seemed as if they did not enjoy being there. Many times workers seemed agitated, irritated, or annoyed to be dealing with residents that required any type of specialized assistance which was almost all of the residents. My father was living there after suffering a stroke and because of his stroke he would often times become confused. One night I received a phone call saying that I needed to come up and get my father urgently because he had tried to run away from the facility. When I got there the manager of the facility told me that he was no longer welcome to live at their facility and that he needed to find a new place to live immediately. I was outraged to say the least. I understand that they are worried about the possibility of him trying to leave again, but what I don't understand is how and assisted living home is not equipped to deal with these types of occurrences. I am convinced that this would not have happened if employees of the Heatherwood were more attentive and caring for residents. Although the food there wasn't bad, I would not recommend this place to anyone.

caring7131 August 14, 2012

I wouldn't take my dog there. It wasn't clean. Yes, I'm an elderly person, but I also like clean places. It had an odor to it. It smelled of urine and old people which was very disappointing because the location was wonderful. Their staff was almost like they didn't care. I don't know if it was a bad day or what it was, but it was not a good experience for me.

Social Worker # 1 December 06, 2011

I think The Heather wood Independent Living Retirement is an excellent choice for placement for someone who is looking for an independent Retirement community to fulfill their life style. They provide assistance within the comfort of each individual resident's apartment. The also offer supportive services that meet their residents individual centered plans of care. They provide the highest level of care to their residents that is provided by their skilled trained Nurses, Cena's that is on site 24/7. They provide a varied menu for their residents in their fine dining area formally setting for their residents to enjoy. While there, I noticed that their residents were having various social events. Some times they provide for their residents there a social event happy hour for their residents to socialize and interact with one another. They talk and mingle sociably within their senior community there. They all seem to know one another very well they even provide dancing events for their residents to enjoy and stay youthful as they possibly can. Their staff members are skilled, trained, very professional, team and task oriented in their job duties and performances. They offer their residents with an array of services and encourage them to remain independent as possible. I would rank this facility a five stars rating for their excellence and expertise.

From Sterling Place

Sterling Place is a senior living community in Southfield, MI for seniors who still are able to live independently but would like to live in a community with other seniors. The community is run by national company Holiday Retirement, which runs more than 300 senior living communities nationwide. Located only a few minutes from the larger Detroit area, the community is in close proximity to numerous medical facilities, shopping, dining and entertainment.

AMENITIES

Sterling Place offers spacious rooms, a large communal dining area, community living room and game room, and a library, among other amenities. Three daily meals are served in the community’s formal dining room. Meals and housekeeping are included in monthly fees. Residents are welcome to invite visiting guests to share meals at the community. The community also arranges transportation to medical appointments and shopping areas.

ACTIVITIES AND OUTINGS

Staff at Sterling Place arranges an array of regular activities each day. For residents looking to stay physically active, there are a number of different exercise classes geared toward seniors, such as strength training. Other common activities include bingo or poker games, computer classes, jewelry making, movies nights and happy hours. Worship services are held on Sunday.

The community also organizes regular outings to local restaurants, shopping centers, and casinos, among other local sites.

CARE AVAILABLE

Although Sterling Place is an independent living community, residents can also receive home care from the community’s on-site nursing staff if needed. This allows residents the independence they’re accustomed to with the assurance that they can access health care or assistance in their own home.

Features of Sterling Place