The Woods at Canco

257 Canco Rd, Portland, ME, 04103

Reviews of The Woods at Canco

William117608450 January 26, 2016

The Woods at Canco was excellent. It's a beautiful building, very spacious, excellent food, and marvelous dining room. They had very nice rooms; singles, and doubles. It's just expensive. The staff members that we met were very efficient, and marvelous. The dining area was excellent. Everybody that I talked to on-staff was cheerful, happy, and wanted us to come stay with them. There was a long list of activities on the board, and it looked to me as though we could possibly be very comfortable doing some of those.

Caring112307750 August 27, 2015

I visited The Woods At Canco. They had been really wonderful. I really like the friendliness of the staff and their grounds. If anyone is shopping for a retirement place, I would recommend them.

Debra107196150 June 09, 2015

The Woods at Canco Was a very nice place. The staff was friendly and curious. We had lunch there and the food was good and they gave you a few choices. There was a lot going on and residents were engaged. The rooms were good size clean and had a small kitchen. Unfortunately my dad required a little more care so we choice another place. This is a great assisted living place for someone who doesn't rehire a lot of care.

Caring111527550 May 28, 2015

I’m familiar with The Woods because that’s where my mother lives right now. It’s a lovely building, and it’s very nicely appointed. It has a wonderful dining room; the meals are fabulous.

The facility has many activities for its residents. They have a shuttle bus that takes people shopping several times a week, and it takes people to their medical appointments. They have little side trips around town or sometimes they arrange for the bus to take people to see concerts or plays. They have movies every day which is great. They have activities all day long: several different types of exercise classes, several different physical games like beach ball volleyball, and some other indoor physical games. They have a library which is nice. They have a computer room for anyone to use. They have a lot of entertainment; musicians and singers come in and perform for the residents a couple of times a week. It’s a very active community.

My mother has been there for a while, and she has had a hard time making the transition but only because she has Alzheimer's. There are several people there like her, and they tend to gravitate towards one another, so she always has people around her that want to spend time with her. There’s a lot of social interaction. The staff has had some management changes. The new managers are not as open and warm and friendly as the original ones, but they’re competent and know what they’re doing. Overall, it has been a positive experience.

Caring99891050 December 30, 2014

My mother-in-law lives in Canco Woods (The Woods at Canco). She is been there for 10 years, and it is a nice place. It is just the she needs more help than they can give her. It is a very nice place, and the staff is very helpful. She has a good experience with it. They have all kinds of different activities. They have a bus that takes them to appointments, and they also have a bus that takes them to local entertainment venues. They have entertainment come in there in the form of musical groups. They have exercises, little sporting exercise like balloon volleyball and sitting tai chi, they have a pool table on the second floor, and they have plenty to do, if they want. However, you have to understand when you get to be 98 years old, sometimes things are not exactly the way you want them to be. For the most part, her comments about the food are positive. Everyone is so well. When the meal does not meet with her approval, she's not happy about it, but that's just what's it like.

Nancy77873150 February 14, 2014

The Woods at Canco was a very nice place. Everything was clean. It wasn't super fancy but I thought it had a nice atmosphere too. It didn't seem crowded and uncomfortable. It looked like a friendly and open space. I thought the people were very warm and welcoming. I really like the owner and the people who worked there. They were happy.

JoAnn8 January 31, 2014

My dad is living in The Woods at Canco since July. We choose it because for one it is a very pleasant, and open central area. It is easy for him to find his way to that area and there is a lot of light flowing into it. Also, it has the best ratio of men and women. Thirdly, they rent an apartment with the facility, but they have a health organization, which provides like the needs for his meds twice a day and they only charge him for the small amount of time that they are spending with him in terms of the services that he needs. Another plus is that they have live-in managers, which are two couples. One couple manages it one part of the week and one manages the other. They seem to have extensive training with working with people of that age and they seem to be very able and professionally competent. I also like the live-in aspect because I like the idea that they are constantly keeping an eye out for anything that might be a problem.

Their apartment varies in sizes, but my dad is in a studio which is roomy. It is L-shape so that the bedroom area is on the side and there is a small kitchen and a living area. He actually is able to walk out on into an enclosed courtyard from his apartment, which is nice because he has an outside sitting area. Another plus that the dining is large and open, but if all the chairs are filled up, the will take the person and find a table or a group for him to sit with. They don't allow people to sit with the same people every day. I also feel that the food is very good. It is takes advantage of the local are produce and dish. They have a day chef and a night chef and both of them seem competent. If somebody has a birthday, they do something special on that day for that person like make him a birthday cake. They have activities like bingo, bean bag baseball and balloon volleyball, which he loves. He loves the musical events. He is able and they did a really good job in encouraging him to get involved in the activities. They have little announcements and it is a nice reminder for people who are kind of forgetful.

Caring71616150 October 11, 2013

The Woods at Canco offers all kinds of services. The food is fine, it tastes very good. The apartment is very spacious. They have all kinds of activities. The staff is very friendly.

From The Woods at Canco

The Woods at Canco is located in Portland, ME, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

So come to The Woods at Canco for a visit...and stay!

Features of The Woods at Canco

• Housing extra: Cottages

• Hiking trails

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Dining extra: Private dining room