Courtyards at Berne Village | Independent Living

2701 Amhurst Blvd, New Bern, NC, 28562

Reviews of Courtyards at Berne Village | Independent Living

Smallwood1 December 30, 2015

The Courtyards was well kept and was really nice. The staff was friendly. My father-in-law is in a private room with a kitchen area, a living room, a big bedroom and a spacious bathroom.

I’ve eaten with him before; it was family dining and was really good. There are several tables in there and the clients can eat the food they want and as much as they want and the servers come out bringing the food. They were very polite to me when I went.

They have shuffleboard and horseshoes. They have a recreation room where they can go hang out, have a drink and play pool and dartboard. They get to have a happy hour one day a week and they go on field trips during the weekend.

Caring90394350 August 27, 2014

I didn’t mind where we were, but my husband didn’t like the food and he didn’t like the old people walking around with walkers and wheelchairs. That’s the main reason why we left Courtyards at Berne Village. He’s eighty-five years old, but he just didn’t want to look at old people, and there's nothing I can do about that. We were there for seven months, I believe. The people there were very nice. The staff was very friendly. What I liked about it, actually, which I told my husband, was, as much as the food wasn’t the greatest in the world, you could always find something you can eat. I also liked the fact that you had a lot of sociability around there. They did not have a good recreation program. They didn’t have a good director for it. I could’ve told them how to do it, but I kept my mouth shut. There were things wrong with it, but since we left there it has changed hands, so I have no idea what it’s like now. But those kinds of places, they always really have problems with food no matter how you look at it, I know that. You’re not going to satisfy all the people all the time. Food needed work, but another thing I realized was that older people have diet restrictions, and so they can’t season things like you did at home. The food wasn’t as tasteful as you would make it, but they can’t do that in an institution and I understand that, so that’s the way it’s likely to be in some of those places. There are probably a lot of them unless you’re paying a bundle of bucks. Their grounds were lovely, and it was nice walking around. We had a dog (we still have a dog) that we walk. People were always outside, and the housekeeping seemed to be OK to me. I think it was clean; they took care of it. They took you places, to concerts or different things around town. They had outdoor picnics. We had a dance one night we were there, but I think they could have more activities. It was not as well organized, maybe, and not as informed about things that could’ve been going on.

Caring90297150 August 13, 2014

I only live two blocks from the Courtyards at Berne Village, so I know what it looks like on the outside. I did go in and the lady was very cordial. I liked the layout and everything in it. Everything was pretty convenient for the independent living residents because everything was on one floor. She showed me one room that was already furnished and she said you could get them either way, but the price was the same. I thought it was really delicately furnished. It looked really nice, but it was fine with me. Tt was kind of like what I have in my own house and I was really impressed with the way the furniture looked and the layout. It would be something that I could use when I am ready to downsize.

From Courtyards at Berne Village

Located in New Bern, NC, The Courtyards at Berne Village is built over 18 green acres and offers a warm and inviting environment for our residents, guests, and our staff. In 2005, the town of New Bern was named one of the best places in which to retire by NBC's The Today Show. Our community provides independent and assisted living services as well as memory care. The Courtyards at Berne Village has fabulous amenities such as a large dining room, an on-site beauty shop, a library with wireless Internet, weekly chapel service, a guest room for friends and family and a full calendar of social, cultural, and engaging activities. The Courtyards at Berne Village also offers 24-hour staffing and care.

*Rates listed are based on single occupancy.

Features of Courtyards at Berne Village