The Palms

13001 La Mirada Blvd, La Mirada, CA, 90638

Reviews of The Palms

Beverly124471650 February 23, 2016

The Palms was well cared for. The floor plans were open, and the staff seemed to be quite friendly.

X12 December 29, 2015

The Palms was a very nice place; however, my husband and I are not into eating the meals they have there every day. We weren’t particularly fond of the fact that they don’t have a stove in the place. The staff took us on a nice tour, but they couldn’t accommodate us as far as having a cooking area in the unit. The apartments were small. The common dining area looked very nice, but sometimes you want to eat with your spouse and fix your own food.

Veta December 21, 2015

The Palms was fantastic. They had very pleasant and active residents; it was hard to identify who was there to assist and who were the residents. It's so nicely appointed. The hallways were wide, and you feel as if you're in a resort hotel. Beyond the main entrance was a huge dining area. The apartments were nice and large. The prices were moderate to pricey depending on your budget. They had a lot of activities. It was a very active community with people on walkers, wheelchairs and canes moving around. They have really great staff. They divided their facility into two sections with a husband and wife team for each section that live there so they get to know the residents. Its design is really interesting and open; if you go on different levels, you can look down and see the area below you. You can actually see the whole office area. If someone needed help, you're not walled up. The apartments at the back had a living room, a bedroom, and bath area that looked out into the courtyard.

Sandy115718450 November 30, 2015

The Palms was very nice. We had lunch, and it was good food. I really like the staff. The maintenance man lives there, so any time you have a maintenance problem, even if it’s in the middle of the night, you can call and he will come and take care of it. The apartment was fine. They have a lot of nice and varied activities. I saw the calendar for the month, and it looked like there were quite a few interesting activities.

Caring110881050 August 31, 2015

They have a lot to offer actually; they have quite a few groups like little craft groups or Bible study or little groups like that, which is really great. They are very attentive, and in the assisted living part where the companies that are hired in there are not part of the Holiday but sub-contracted, they are really good too. I think probably what they offer for food would be the biggest thing that they need to improve on because they only offer two choices a day where most places nowadays offer the two-chef specials everyday, plus they have other items that people can order everyday, which the Palms does not have yet. My mom is doing fine because this is where she has been since 2012. It is where she is used to because we have lived in La Mirada all our life, so it is more of her comfort level of what she is used to and the environment she is used to compared to any services. She has lived in La Mirada for almost 50 years, and so it is hard to get her to move out of it. She is more of an introvert, so she doesn't socialize much. They do have activities. They have movie nights and a book club; they have a lot of clubs, but like I said, she just chooses not to participate.

Tina21 April 10, 2014

I toured The Palms with my sister, and I liked everything. The location was nice too. The rooms were nice, and I liked them. I was looking for a place with a full kitchen, but they said since they had the dining room to eat in, they only had a microwave and refrigerator. They even gave us lunch, and the food was good. They had an exercise room with a lot of equipment. They had a nice library. They play bingo. They took the people on shopping trips and also to do their hairs and nails. They took them to their doctor's appointments. The only thing was that its $3,200 or so, and it was a lot of money.

Nancy71663450 July 12, 2013

I visited this facility for my sister because I have a relative that used to work for Holiday Retirement and so I knew what kind of services they offer. Also The Palms is closer to where my sister had dialysis. The facility was clean and nice. It was a little more posh and the rooms that I got a chance to see was smaller than the one we previously visited. The staff was very friendly and professional. They have a dining room that you could reserve and have that for family time. I like that very much. I didn't get to see some of their activities but they gave us a calendar of events. I would recommend this place to others.

Tetyner April 18, 2012

The Palms is a very nice-looking community, both inside and out. The front of the facility is a large, lush expanse of greenery and palm trees, while the inside is a charming, two-story housing development, complete with a cafeteria, entertainment room, and of course, private rooms. The second floor holds staff housing, a terrace, and brunch area. The furniture is all oak and in mahogany and deep brown tones, and there was even a grand piano in one corner. However, there is a reason I give this facility only three stars. The Palms is a very nice facility, but only to look at. While touring the facility, I scarcely remember seeing any staff or even residents. The only staff person I remember was the one who guided us on our tour and gave us our financial options, but it says something for the The visiting hours were very strict as well. Aside from all that, the main reason I only gave this facility three stars is because my grandma moved out shortly after moving in for several reasons. She never gave specifics on this one, but she claimed she did not like the way the staff treated her. I recall her saying they were too "professional" and not caring or involved enough, like they sort of distanced themselves from the residents. This seemed evident just from the impression I got touring the facility. Another reason, she noted, is that it was really hard for her to make it up to the few facilities on the second story -- the staircase was rather huge. She also said she didn't like the food, and that the lack of privacy bothered her - she didn't feel like she was living independently as she wanted to, due to the strict meal schedule and activities schedules.Overall, I gave the facility three stars instead of one despite this, simiply because I did know my grandmother, and she was very picky about the places she lived. Her complaints were minimal and not such a huge deal to begin with. Like I said in the first paragraph, I was also very impressed by the decorating and the homey feel to the facility.

From The Palms

The Palms is located in La Mirada, CA, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

So come to The Palms for a visit...and stay!

Features of The Palms

• Hiking trails

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Dining extra: Private dining room