Garden Village

8550 N Granby Ave, Kansas City, MO, 64154

Reviews of Garden Village

Fox1 December 21, 2015

We are looking for a place for my father-in-law. What we liked about both locations of Garden Village were, number one, the security; number two, the fact that they had meals provided; and thirdly, the price was affordable, including the community fee, which was about $1,000. The location was important because it was 15 minutes from us. They would take them to their doctors' appointments and serve three meals a day. Everything was beautiful; I was satisfied.

Caring112335450 August 31, 2015

It looked really nice and clean, and the staff was very friendly and very helpful. There were different rooms and different sizes. I walked through the dining area, and it was big. One thing that impressed me about Garden Village was that it was not as expensive as some of the other ones.

Caring105580950 May 03, 2015

Garden Village was far from me, but it was very well organized. They were pretty good in taking care of the elderly. They had different variety of rooms, which were pretty good and like a hotel.

I would recommend it if they were close by because that was a good place. I talked to the manager, and the only reason why I could not bring my mom in there is because she doesn't speak English.

They had a lot of activities, and I think they are a good place. If my mom spoke English, I would not mind putting her in there.

Caring64443650 May 03, 2015

We were extremely impressed with Garden Village; thus we already signed to move there. They have a beautiful and lovely price. I certainly would recommend them 100%. The only downside about it is that if either one of us got ill -- me or my wife -- we need to move out. We stayed there for three days, and the food is excellent. They offer a lot of activities. They have drivers that take you to the doctors and to shopping. It has great amenities.

Fannieb1 March 20, 2015

Think before you agree to live in this facility and read your lease carefully because you will be expected to pay a full 90 days whether you stay or not. My relative stayed two nights, hated the atmosphere and there was little staff available to acclimate her and help with understanding what a huge change assisted living can be. There was no compassion and understanding from the administrators and the resident was held to a full 90 day rent for a two night stay. There was much deferred maintenance, rusty refrigerator, dated stove, torn screen. Dingy little place. Nothing like the resident has been promised. Not a place I would want any loved one to go. We have found more suitable living arrangements where lease agreements can be terminated with a 30 day notice. There are plenty of options in the northland. Don't "settle" on this place and compare what is included in your rent.

Hi Fannie, I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement's Home Office in Oregon. First, know that I'm very sorry that your relative had a negative experience at Garden Village. I find your cleanliness concerns particularly disheartening. Have you reported them to our Resident Relations team? If not, please consider calling them at 1-800-370-8331. It's feedback from our residents and our family members that make us better, so again, I'm sorry about the negative experience and thank you for your sincere review.

hothgandmna February 21, 2015

Where to begin. Nothing gets fixed in a timely manor. The maintenance staff is spread too thin. Three competent men to cover over 200 apartments. The food is horrible, and in many case inedible. One evening the soup had so much pepper in it that it was impossible to eat. Another resident found a wire in the soup, and all that was done was to ask they wanted another bowl. The majority of the activities are religious based. Bible study, preaching services, gospel sing alongs. Any entertainment is either something that could have been arranged for for free, such as high school glee clubs. If they actually pay for someone to come in and perform they are usually friends of the activity director. The activity director has no clue as to how to do the job. Not qualified for the position at all. The sales reps. will tell a prospective resident anything the wish to hear just to get them in an apartment. Expect to get hit with a large rate increase each year. It can be as much as $125+ more per month. There is no consistency in rent rate amounts. Some individuals are paying as low as $900, while others are paying $1400 or higher for the same space. The professional staff all talk down to the residents with a patronizing tone. In essence it feels like being back in middle school with they way the residents are treated. The place is faded glory, and the carpeting in the dining room and common areas create an unsanitary environment. A flooring that is easily scrubbable would be much more in keeping. The management allow individuals to move in who desperately need full time care or assisted living at the least. They are NOT meant for independent living facilities. This whole situation ruins the experience for the healthy vibrant residents.

Hi, I'm Katie, I work at Holiday Retirement's Home Office. Our Resident Relations department would like to learn more about your experience. I've passed your review onto them, but would also appreciate you giving them a phone call to air your concerns. You can reach them at 1-800-370-8331.

Caring103885250 February 10, 2015

The one we saw yesterday was Garden Village. I really liked the location; it's in the middle of the country, but it's actually right by a freeway. You can't tell because there's a lot of land around it, and they have a lot of wild animals. We saw a deer coming out yesterday, there were swans in the pond, and it was very beautiful. The rooms looked like they'd be comfortable, and they have different sizes. Some of them were a little shabby, like they were not well taken care of. It is an older facility, so I think that the upkeep could probably be a little better, and it bothered my mother that there were so many hallways. The dining area was nice. They give them two or three choices for their meals. My sister and I went back three times because we wanted to make sure that we weren't making assumptions. The first time I was there, I was very put off by the staff. She wasn't very helpful, and she acted like it was too much to deal with us or something. I think she was just having a bad day, but still I felt like she wasn't helpful. My sister and I went again, and she was much more helpful. They seemed nice enough the second time around.

Caring104562950 January 17, 2015

We have found a facility for my parents. The name of the community is Garden Village. We liked the facility, the people, and the services. The rooms and activity here are excellent. There are many different activities to appeal to whoever is here. If they are unable to find something to do, it's probably their own fault. They bring in music, and they have lots of small group activities. They have something going on all the time like craft groups and prayer groups. It is the first facility we visited. When we walked in, my mother-in-law said she would love to live here.

Nancy99172350 December 28, 2014

My mom is at Garden Village. It is like senior apartments. My mom has a very nice apartment. The first time I saw it, I thought it was spacious. However, I don't think it is the typical one-bedroom because they have taken two studios and combined them, so it is a little larger than most of the one-bedrooms. It is roomy. She really enjoys this place. They have a lot of activities. Everyday there is something going on. Meals are really good. We have eaten with her there, and their food is very good food, nutritious, and tasty. I think my mom is very happy there. I think she does like this place. The facility is not really new and modern, but it is very bright and cheerful. Another reason why we chose Garden Village was because they have three meals a day included in their cost.

Caring82492250 December 03, 2014

I will be moving to Garden Village on Monday, and they feed you 3 meals a day. It’s near where I used to live. I chose it as it’s close to all my friends. I got a studio that’s big enough for me. It looks good and has very large dining room. I would recommend the facility for the reasons that I like it, and I like that they have a pool table.

John101096250 October 31, 2014

Garden Village was nice. The staff was straight forward and answered my inquiries.

Caring86924250 July 31, 2014

Garden Village was older. The reason I didn't really consider it is it was too far for my mom to walk and they were smaller than where we ended up having them go. It just wasn’t a good fit for them.

Caring87951750 July 19, 2014

I visited Garden Village. It was kind of old and run-down. They had a very nice common area, but the actual apartments were old and had outdated appliances. They had a building that was condemned outside, and I didn't like it. They do background checks on their staff, but they don't do drug screening. We only met one lady there. She toured us around, and she took us to the manager. I saw a high school choir singing to the people, but that was it. They were nice, but they need to update their facility. They should make thorough background checks on their staff and have more activities for the people.

Caring86733850 June 28, 2014

Garden Village is very nice, beautiful, and the staff is very nice. The people were very nice; everybody I met was awesome. However, I really don’t want to live in that small apartment. I also can’t afford something like that.

Caring79570950 May 21, 2014

Garden Village was a really nice place. It was located in a nice, secluded area. It used to be a hotel, and they turned it into a community retirement home. I had a hard time deciding between that one and this one that I'm in. They were very warm and friendly. The staff would work with you to accomplish your needs and help you move in. The room had two baths, a living room, and a bedroom. There was quite a bit of storage space. The food was very good. The dining area was very open, and I thought it was really nice because they had tablecloths, and it made it feel a little more homey and a little less like a cafeteria type. They brought the food around to you and asked you in courses, like what you wanted to drink, then somebody would come to and tell you, "These are the salads available." So you had choices, and I thought that was very good. One of the hardest things for me to get used to was the fact that I couldn’t decide if I wanted to eat at 2:00 instead of 12:30. It was not necessary for me to decide what to eat, and it was kind of difficult to get used to, but you had to adjust to that.

Stephanie22 April 24, 2014

I did find my dad a place, and he’s been living in Garden Village since November. He actually referred a couple of family friends to move in, and he was very happy there. It’s close to my home, and we’re very happy to have him in a secure place. They had some staffing issues as well, as with the chef, but they were aware of this. I have tried the food and sometimes it’s OK, but the senior diet is mostly about food quality. I think they’re looking for a new provider, but they’re serving healthy stuff. They really have a lot of entertainment and entertainment groups come in, and they have trips to various places like the grocery store and shopping. There’s always something going on. They’re very interactive and they really try to draw the people so they won’t just stay in their in their apartments. The staff is very knowledgeable and very helpful. The person who cleans my father’s room does a very good job; they do a very good job of keeping the staff well-trained, and overall everything has been very positive for us.

Linda73972350 January 31, 2014

There were many things that we loved about Garden Village. Like, they had wide hallways, it was clean, they had nice place for everyone to gather, they had good size rooms, they had activities, etc. Also, the food is brought to you and it's not like a buffet. Everything was really good. It was perfect. However, you need to be really careful if you're not fully independent. My mom signed a contract with them but she really shouldn't have. Now, they wouldn't let her out of it. So that's been a real pain. Even though they came out and did an assessment of her abilities, and even agreed that she was not a viable candidate for this, but yet they're still making her pay. Don't sign a thing with them unless you're absolutely sure that you can live independently there because they will not lift a finger to assist you in any way at all. They're not rated for assistance and they will not give any assistance. I'm just really disappointed with them. Even though they agreed she is not a viable candidate, they're still forcing her to pay. Obviously, that has screwed up her credit. Also based on the fact that she went to the facility in a wheelchair, they should have questioned more her ability. They should have assessed it right then so that this whole issue could have been avoided. So I would rate them a 3. Even though the facility is fantastic, their management is not. The management is very important to the well-being of their clients. They should have been proactive enough to say to my mother, "You don't fit here."

Don20 September 19, 2013

I like Garden Village because, location-wise, it is very close to Barry Road, which gives me an access to where I like to shop. It is also a clean place. However, the staff isn't as friendly or as warm as with the other facilities I visited.

Caring5783 April 30, 2013

Garden Village is beautiful and very, very nice. The staff would stop what they were doing to answer my questions. My brother and I had a meal with them. The food was good.

From Garden Village

Garden Village is located in Kansas City, MO, providing a vibrant backdrop for your new life as a valued member of our caring community.

So come to Garden Village for a visit...and stay!

Features of Garden Village

• Hiking trails

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Dining extra: Private dining room