The Groves Retirement Community

Top Nearby Independent Living Communities

Reviews of The Groves Retirement Community

December 30, 2015

By MH4

My in-laws were happy living at The Groves. The staff were all very pleasant. I’ve stayed there several times. They had a 2-bedroom apartment with a balcony that’s glassed in. They had a storage room and laundering facilities in the basement that they can use free of charge. They had a dining hall across the street, which they access through a tunnel, so they didn’t have to go out in the weather. They had a library and a place where they could use the computer. The food was quite good. They tried to give well-balanced meals, and they had a choice of what they wanted to eat. They had exercise classes, crafts to do, a swimming pool, bingo and card games, a movie once a week, and they hold church services in the building. They had a van to take them to doctor’s appointments and to the grocery once a week. Once every two weeks, they would take them to Walmart. They would take anybody who wanted to go out to dinner, but they’d have to pay extra. They also have housekeeping services once every two weeks. And once a year, they get their carpet shampooed. It’s an older building, so it’s not as beautiful as some of the newer ones, but they had everything they wanted.

February 22, 2015

The visit at The Groves was OK. It was a little bit sad because the people there have bodies that may be giving way, but they still know a lot of stuff. The staff does a lot better than the one I used to work at. The workers there used to abuse the patients. They don't do that here at the Groves. They like to read and have games and stuff like that. They also like to talk. I didn't eat there because I don't live too far. The place is really clean, and it is pretty nice.

November 21, 2014

By keb1990

If you can find another place for your loved one do so. The only reason I give it two stars was because its better then most in the area. My mom who has MS is there and has many UITS and has been in ICU due to them not caring for urinary catheter. As of Nov of 2014 they had Roaches . The place may look clean and the stuff may come off as nice but do not trust it. Since I'm there most of the time I'm able to see what they are really like.

October 18, 2014

By Cindy9086

The Groves Retirement is fine, and it’s where her friends are. I guess the atmosphere was excellent; it was very comfortable and it doesn’t have that old people smell. There are a lot of activities for them to do: like during meal time they could eat together; there was a bunch of people doing quilting -- and I don’t do that -- but my mother-in-law seemed to perk up about that. They have like little excursions, field trip, day trip kind of thing. She can be independent as long as able and then ease over to the assisted living and then ease over into the nursing home side should she need it as it is a continuing care facility. It is near a hospital and grocery stores, and it’s on the main road in Independence so that was another good thing. There’s a beauty shop and barbershop; it’s much better than I expected it to be.

December 31, 2013

By Caring82054450

The Groves seemed real nice. I met one of the staff who was very friendly and gracious. The facility seemed very clean.

March 21, 2013

By Lynda4

We took my dad for a long term care at The Groves, because my mom doesn't want anyone coming to their home. He was well take care of and I was very pleased. The rooms were well kept. But the only problem is that he doesn't have access to going outside because it is a high rise building. He doesn't have any problem with the food but the place has minimal activities for him.

July 30, 2012

By Mikehughes

On my visit to White Oaks I met some very interesting people. They all seemed to be in high spirits and got along with the staff very well. I was a little concerned when I saw a couple cnas talking quietly in the meal area. It wasjust a little unsettling how they whispered as if I or the residents did not notice. I don't know if they were talking about them or what the deal was but they certainly did not offer any clarification. I spoke with John a resident and he spoke very highly of the staff. He said they had always treated him like family. The place was noticeably nice and clean. I was surprised. From all that I have experienced I wouldn't mind living here when I am old. Great lace great people. Good pudding too! Jello is so-so.

July 29, 2012

By Kat4

Overall, The Groves was a decent facility.One thing I always noticed about this facility was that it was exceptionally large. Generally, everything was kept neat and clean and in order within the facility. Often times though, I would notice that there were some residents that seemed to be neglected. However, this may have been due in part to large facility. For the most part, the residents were well cared for. Each month, there was care plan meeting that family members to attend to address the needs of their loved one that was a resident in the nursing home. These meetings were very informative and helped the family to know what was going on with the care of their resident. Also, there were many avenues for the residents to entertain themselves. One of these opportunities was a weekly game club for the residents that my grandmother often liked to attend. The nursing facility also had in-house pets that the residents could play with, such as a dog and a rabbit.

March 02, 2012

By David Brush

My father-in-law became a resident of The Groves in 2007. He entered as a resident in the retirement center and was eventually moved into the nursing home. The staff at The Groves were always helpful and respectful of my father-in-law's wishes, and helped us with the many questions and details that come when you are the child of an aging parent.The facilities were always clean. Numerous relaxation areas were available for my father-in-law including a private library, lounges, and a recreation room with games and a large-screen television. Religious services were provided, and my father-in-law was able to take part in events like poetry readings.When my father-in-law was failing they were always attentive to his medical needs, and alerted us immediately if he needed our attention. The quality of service provided was always excellent and we were more than satisfied.

October 31, 2011

By Ann1

The Groves are clean and pleasant. A peaceful place with attentive staff. After a long fight with cancer a relative of my husband stayed in a room at the Groves. Within a short period of time, hospice was requested. A kind and patient man from the hospice team arrived the next day. The man from hospice was helpful with kind words. He was even helpful in planning for the funeral. While waiting for permission to enter the mans room, I spent a short period of time in a lobby. A garden walkway is just outside the lobby area. Some of the guests that are able to walk without help were outside enjoying the weather. Other residents were watching television and looking out the window. Another nice part of The Groves is the dining area. A large room with many tables for residents to eat meals together. The Groves is a nice building. The rooms are average in size but there are very few rooms available.

About The Groves Retirement Community

The Groves Retirement Community is an independent living community in Independence, MO designed for seniors, normally 55+, who are able to care for themselves and wish to live independently. Contact The Groves Retirement Community for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Map of The Groves Retirement Community