Brookdale West University

5151 Buffalo Speedway, Houston, TX, 77005

Reviews of Brookdale West University

Anonymous113426950 October 28, 2015

I visited Brookdale West University. I was impressed with the facility. I thought they have a lot to offer to every person. It seemed like they have lots of activities going on. That would have been my choice. I saw some people in the pool area. They were several different places to eat, and I did see people in those places too having their meals. It was a very pleasant environment.

Stanley5 September 30, 2015

Brookdale seemed to be a great place to be, there are a lot of people there, and they all seemed to get along pretty good. The only thing I didn’t like are fees you have to pay, I can’t afford it. The staff is very polite and courteous.

Andrea27 July 15, 2015

We have been there at Brookdale West University once before, and they changed their name. The rooms were of good size, the people were nice as well as the residents. The food is a little bit healthier, and there were varieties of activities. My dad was there for three months, and he had an incident; he fell, so we moved him out.

Caring106489150 May 13, 2015

Staff is excellent at Brookdale West University, and the girl that we have been working with is really good. So far it has been a really good transition. It’s got a lot to offer, and I am hoping that would be a helpful thing for my mother-in-law. The room looks great, there is a good size living area, there seems to be a lot of consideration to storage space, and the bathroom is set up well. The meal plan was more flexible plan, which suited my mother-in-law well. With the amount of care that she needed, this was a good fit for her because she is not as hands on at the moment. I like the fact that it seems that you can transfer into the system; you can actually follow on and change location should you become more demanding and need more care. It is a great introductory place for her to start with. We have the chance to see the dining room, it seems really good, and I love the flexibility of it because they have like a dollar amount to be arranged, so they can basically go and have as many meals as they want when they want it.

They have a fairly good range of activities. They got a lot of availability to get back and forth to the medical center or get to shopping or places right beside it so they could walk to the parking lot that’s beside it with their shopping bag if they want to. It’s great to motivate them to get out and get that exercise if possible. The grounds were lovely. It seems like there’s lots of laundry rooms available. They have a lovely library. They have a lot of trips and get togethers. It’s a great value for the price.

Caring106530150 May 07, 2015

I liked Brookdale West University (Terrace at West University) very much. They had beautiful walking grounds and benches. It’s an older residence, but it is very nice. They had one unit there that interested me a great deal. It was 2 single units, and it was broken through to make one 2-bedroom unit, and I like that very much. I like the location. I like everything about it except the coupons. They give you a coupon each month, and you give them a coupon for your dinners. That just goes against my grain, and I would not consider doing that. I thought they were deficient in their program director. Their program director was a young lady who put together parties for a 3-year-old, so I was very unimpressed.

The facility was fine. The meals were adequate, not excellent. They did not have lovely dining. They built a bistro, and you could go there for dinner. They had a carving bench which was for whatever they were carving for that particular day either roast beef or maybe turkey, and then you could get side orders of pizza and salad, not the kind of dinner that I would want.

We are sorry to hear your tour of Brookdale West University did not meet all of your expectations. We want to thank you for taking the time to visit and for providing feedback. Please be assured it will be reviewed and used to better serve our residents and their families in the future.

Donna103471550 March 20, 2015

Everyone seemed very friendly, very willing to help, and very approachable. Brookdale West University seemed like a very nice place. They had individual apartments. They showed me a typical one-bedroom apartment, and it was fine and nicely done. They talked about the activities offered there as well as the transportation that they offer. I thought it might work for my mother. It would be one that I would consider.

Caring68620650 August 30, 2014

Brookdale Plaza West University is very close to the Medical Center, which is great if you have issues. It’s very close to shopping, too. It’s just a two story building. They’ve got gym facilities and swimming facilities in one section. They have a very nice dining room. One bedroom was quite small, but still manageable. I think it started around $1,800 a month. They were still working on improving the actual apartments, so I would say if they had more finished apartments available to view, that would have helped more. There are a lot of things under construction.

Jean74029250 July 31, 2014

Brookdale Plaza West University was the best place we've seen so far. We've been very impressed with the place. The staff has been very friendly and very helpful. They were also very passionate. I visited one time and we had dinner there and we were very impressed with the dining room. I am not living there yet, but it's where I'm leaning to go. The buildings are very laid out beautifully. Each building has something more beautiful to look down on.

Stephen10 March 31, 2014

I chose The Terrace at West University because of its location. It's near the things that I would like to do. The staff was very good. The rooms were very adequate. I ate there, and the food was good. They had activities like classes and outings to movies and places.

Michael44 March 29, 2014

The staff is excellent at The Terrace. The place is near downtown, and you can walk across the street, and there’s a grocery store and all that. The layout is different than any other places I’ve seen. There’s a courtyard, which each room or apartment faces. There’s a common walkway, and it's like you’re in a hotel. They have a wide selection of apartments. I got one of the smaller ones, which was perfect for me. I don’t have any complaints with the food.

Caring0604 July 12, 2013

I visited The Terrace at West University for myself. Their rooms were larger and I like their lay out. The staff was wonderful. The food they serve there was also fine. Their price also was excellent. I like this facility the best amongst the other facilities I visited.

Caring0962 June 25, 2013

When I visited The Terrace at West University everybody seemed very nice. It was a pleasant experience.

Lisa P. May 11, 2013

I went for a visit at The Terrace and it looked lovely and welcoming on the outside. When I went inside, it was very well-furnished. The rooms looked fresh and modern. The staff were accommodating and friendly. The atmosphere in the facililty was comfortable, cozy and homey. They served meals in the dining area or you could have it brought to your room. The visit was a good experience, but the price was too expensive for me.

Native.Houstonian June 23, 2012

Almost everything I saw and heard about the Terrace was positive. The grounds and facilities were well kept, and even the gardening was always a bright spot for my grandmother. She lived on the "putting green" quad, which didn't really interest her, but which I always enjoyed. Other quads had a swimming pool, a gazebo, and a very nice garden. During all the time I spent there, I was always extremely comfortable, and the staff was always friendly to me. My grandmother liked all the staff that she regularly dealt with, and I know that some of them went above and beyond their jobs to help her out. I only ever had leftovers, but those were always good, and my grandmother seemed generally happy with the food served in their cafeteria. Finally, the actually living quarters were great. Spacious, comfortable, and well appointed. My grandmother even felt comfortable entertaining there, which was very important to her. Overall, I think the terrace did a wonderful job, and is very deserving of a five star rating.

Reviewer1 July 22, 2011

This facility is inside the 610 loop area. There's a lot of shopping areas around there, and there are a lot of great dining opportunities nearby. It's also near the medical center, so if any residents are involved with a medical issue that the facility itself can't handle, they can go to the medical center.

It's a really beautiful location for seniors. They have a pool and a hot tub. The exterior part of it is really great. They have different type of features like a private dining area and a nice courtyard. They have a library and a computer lab. There's also a fitness center inside the facility.

The size of the facility is spacious, especially the apartments. They also offer a full kitchen to their residents. Each room has its own thermostat, and there's a pull card in each room so that a resident can call the CNA on duty if they need help with anything. The rooms have a built-in shower and a walk-in closet.

Some of the dining areas were really nice. I didn't see any food being served, but they have nutritional charts that the residents can choose from every day. They also serve food to family members and friends who come to visit. The residents that I talked to said that it was nice that they offer breakfast and lunch on most days.

They have fitness programs there for the residents where someone comes in during the afternoon and they have wellness training for some of the residents. It's really a nice area and the grounds are really well kept.

The staff seem very happy and don't seem disgruntled with the company.

They have poetry classes and poetry readings for the residents. They also have educational learning programs for the residents.

From Brookdale West University

Brookdale West University provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer.

Our Optimum Life® and Celebrations programs provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life® is a journey of self-discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life® we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining, with fresh meals prepared by chefs trained in our own Culinary Arts Institute, and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program. These activities fill the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities highlighting different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

Features of Brookdale West University

• Internet in residents' rooms
  • Technology extra: Emergency Call System
  • Wi-fi in residents' rooms and shared areas

• Pharmacy

• General store
  • 24-hour security gate
  • Pool
  • Coffee shop
  • Shared space where residents can host parties
  • Features extra: Fitness Room/Gym

• Arts, woodworking, craft
  • Religious services
  • Book clubs
  • Wii sports competition
  • Tai chi
  • Activities extra: Computer class

• Private services

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• We help families understand VA benefits