Brookdale Memorial City

11900 Barryknoll Lane, Houston, TX, 77024

Reviews of Brookdale Memorial City

January 31, 2016

By John106878250

Brookdale was very sterile. It was like being in a hospital. The staff was very nice. I went there for an introductory luncheon, and the food was good; but it was bland. It didn’t have very much flavor because of the dietary restrictions of some of the people. The key course did not have very much seasoning to it. The rooms were clean, but very small. They had lots of things. They have different-sized apartments depending on how much money you wanted to spend. It’s just wasn’t for me.

January 18, 2016

By Deb G.

My mom is at Brookdale Memorial City. It’s an outstanding, beautifully maintained community, and the apartments are very, very nice. The common area, dining hall, and bistro are newly remodeled and amazing. She is very happy and safe there, and they are very attentive to her. Everybody is amazing. Overall, we love it.

January 14, 2016

By Marjorie21

I went to visit Brookdale Memorial City. It's a really nice place. I love the bedroom apartment because it felt more like home. The staff was very nice. I have eaten there, and the food was delicious. They have a lot of activities to keep the residents busy every day.

September 07, 2015

By Gilda2

The apartments were spacious, and the staff were friendly and helpful. However, Brookdale Memorial City (Formerly The Terrace at Memorial City) was more like an apartment setting. It wasn't a homey feeling, but it was nice.

August 31, 2015

By Robin112226950

We looked at Brookdale Memorial City for my mother-in-law. It was very nice. It looked like they had recently refurbished the café area, and you got like $300 a month on a card where you can just go and eat what food you want for that amount. Since it was independent living and it was too big for her, we would have to move my mother-in-law somewhere else eventually. That's why we went ahead with the one that we chose. The staff was very nice. They showed us around. The apartments were very nice. Everything was nice, but it would have been too big a place for my mother-in-law because there were so many apartments, and she would just get lost there. The dining area was very nice. It was updated. It was like a café-bistro style. If you're looking for independent, and you like shopping, Brookdale Memorial City would be great because it is right across the street from Memorial City Mall, which is a nice mall.

August 09, 2015

By Wilma9

Brookdale Memorial City (Formerly The Terrace at Memorial City) would be my first choice. It opened outdoors, it had a beautiful garden and a beautiful swimming pool, and they had a person who had a small convenience store where if you needed something like crackers, you can go there, and it was on the property. You could walk there and get it, or he might bring it to you. I like the person who showed it to me and the apartment they showed me. Their food was good, and they had lots of activities.

July 15, 2015

By Andrea27

Brookdale Memorial was OK, people-friendly, and closer to everywhere and to the doctor’s office. My dad was so picky, and he hates everything, but the food looks healthy.

June 18, 2015

By Caring106820950

I liked everything about Brookdale. The staff seemed very friendly. The apartments are a standard size, and they were clean and nice. They have card games throughout the day and movies. They need to have a better one in Austin. The ones in Houston are great and a good price, but I needed something in Austin.

May 13, 2015

The staff is very helpful and friendly at Brookdale Memorial City. The rooms and apartments are very clean and very nice. They are adequate in size. I have not eaten there, but my father-in-law has no complaints about the food. The dining room seems to be really clean. They have activities like golf and cards. They also have a walking path. It seems really clean and safe with good neighborhood.

April 30, 2015

By Robin Mommie

My dad is at Brookdale Memorial City. The staff is marvelous. Everybody is knowledgeable, extremely helpful, and very nice. They have a lot of amenities, and they were very accommodating. They go above and beyond, and that is very nice. The food is very good too. They have computer rooms, bingo, and all types of card games. They also have outings. They a heated swimming pool as well as a Jacuzzi. They also have two convenient stores.

April 27, 2015

The location of Brookdale Memorial City is ideal for city people. It is very close to shopping, restaurants, and the interstate. Everybody I talked to was very professional and very capable.

February 19, 2015

By Wilma6

I just had a really good feeling about Brookdale Memorial City the first time I saw it. After I looked at a number of others, some of them were OK. I don't suppose any of them have all the features. But this one has an atmosphere about it that is just homey and charming. I just felt good about it. The staff that I met was very helpful, very nice, and congenial. They made me feel good and feel at home. The apartment that I have is very nice. I only ate the one meal there, and it was very good.

January 18, 2015

By Dana17

The facility in Brookdale Memorial City seemed clean, efficient, and happy. It looked like it had all the amenities that my mom would require. I thought it was fine. I thought the staff was professional, and they were sensitive to my mom's needs. I thought they were helpful, particularly the lady that showed us around because she was patient. We did eat there, and it was good. It wasn't fabulous but I wasn't expecting it to be spectacular. I just thought it tasted fine. About the rooms, I thought that the value for what you pay and what you get is exceptional. The rooms were nice, the floor plan was well laid out, and the kitchen was big enough to meet her needs. The bedroom and the closet was big enough as well. My mom liked the idea that they play bingo and cards. She also liked the idea that occasionally they will take road trips to casinos.

September 11, 2014

By Bunny4

I am very, very pleased with the Brookdale Plaza Memorial City. The staff is very accommodating. My brother was given a remodeled apartment and it is gorgeous. I stayed in one of their guest rooms for a few days and his room was so much nicer because it has been upgraded. The only drawback is that they give you a $300 a month to use for breakfast and lunch, Monday through Friday. He would rather have control over whether or not to use this credit because he is still able to cook. They have a café and the café food is wonderful. I wasn't truly impressed with the breakfast, but the food is good. I wish they had more dietary control over it. That is my only criticism of that place. My diet is gluten-free and I noticed that there were people who were diabetic who were eating things they shouldn't, so that is a drawback. That is the only drawback. The place is gorgeous; the people are wonderful; and the food is good, but in terms of diet, I wish there was a little more control. It is very well-managed; it is very clean; and they are more than accommodating -- everything else is wonderful. It is just that one thing, so if you have a real dietary problem, something else has to be done.

August 30, 2014

By Caring68620650

The Terrace at Memorial City is right next to a big mall. There’s a hospital not far away and a lot of professional buildings. I had a lot of complex medical issue; I was looking for a place with access to those things. And there was the Memorial City Hospital. Their rent includes three meals and all your paid utilities. They had laundry rooms all over the place. They also had pools and spas. It was nice. There were very nice apartments all in a quadrangle -- it was beautifully landscaped. All of the apartments were updated, which makes it nice. This particular one had a much higher mean age; it was late 80s and early 90s. They also have scheduled trips around the area, but actually they had quite a few activities for their residents. It was a little higher cost. I thought they were good. Again, I was looking access at the Medical Center and this place didn’t provide this either.

July 07, 2014

My mom didn’t like The Terrace at Memorial (Brookdale Plaza Memorial City) because it's just a group of apartments, and the dining facility and the activity rooms were spread out over three or four buildings, and she felt it was too much walking for her.

June 28, 2014

By looking to move

Apartments & amenities were nicer than online pictures demonstrated. BUT, the meal plan was a deal breaker for us.

March 28, 2014

By Donna78586750

My mother-in-law is at The Terrace at Memorial City. We chose this for her because it was much more affordable, and it is close to us. She moved there in December 2013. The care is phenomenal. We have not had any issues. They're wonderful. It is part of the Brookdale communities, so my mother-in-law can go to any one of the facilities all the way up to skilled nursing care if she needed to.

February 25, 2014

By Bill39

My mom has been living in the Terrace. It has all the amenities that we wanted, it was 5 minutes from my house and people I talked to give very good comments about it. It was well-laid out. The apartments were very nice, they completely renovated one for my mom and it’s on the second floor. The elevators are good and the security is good. The food is average to above average but the service is very good. The staff’s work ethics are very good especially around the dining facilities. They have a variety of activities every day and a calendar is out every month with different activities from Bible study, shopping trips and Bingo, to Yoga, Tai-chi and walking classes.

February 01, 2014

By Regina5

My mother found one that she would like to move to. It's called The Terrace. It's behind Memorial City Mall. The reasons she chose this one is because of the location and the setup of the property. She also chose this because of the fact that they have individual apartments, an elevator and a separate dining area. Her would-be apartment was of very quality property, same like a hotel except cozier. It was clean and you could add your own personal touches as far as furniture and stuff. She would be able to keep her refrigerator and stove. She likes everything about it. It was very nice. The staff there was very kind, very courteous and very helpful. The facility itself was clean and homey. The cafeteria area was very clean. The residents that we encountered and met were all very happy. They had good things to say about it. I would definitely recommend them.

January 31, 2014

By Barbara63669550

I stayed at The Terrace at Memorial City for about eight years and I did not want to live anywhere else. There were a lot of caregivers here. It was close to city malls, hospital and they provided a shuttle within five miles wherever we wanted to go. They cleaned my apartment once a week and I had my own furniture. Free lunch and breakfast for five days a week were included in the rent. The food was great and we had choices of fish, meat, chicken, fruits. And you could choose what you wanted to eat everyday. They put a monthly schedule for the activities like exercises, movies, bingo, casino, grocery, music programs, bands, etc. And on Sundays, they took the residents to different churches between 9 am to 10 am. They had activities everyday, all day. It was a fantastic place and I never complained about anything.

December 31, 2013

I didn't get to eat at Memorial but the chef was so much trying to help and that was nice. This facility that I visited was beautiful too and very nice. Their rooms were rather small but nicely set out. They were very good.

October 13, 2012

By Friend2

The Terrace at Memorial city was great. It was a closed community of apartments. There was a 'security guard' on site 24/7 who walked around the facility. The pendants around the residents necks were pushed whenever they had an emergency so the guard could respond immediately. There were also emergency pull cables in all the bathrooms. The staff was extremely friendly and there was an event coordinater to keep the residents occupied. I visited another Terrace area but it was in a bad part of town and the staff and guard weren't as involved. The cafeteria food at both was acceptable but not that good. They also had shuttles which took residents to the mall/supermarket/drug store etc.

July 06, 2012

By RandomLetter

The facility is well set up and the staff seems caring. They have amenities that fit whatever lifestyle the resident is currently able to live and due to this the residents seem to be in high spirits. A nurse currently comes to check on my grandmother every day and they have formed a bond where she is more than just a caretaker, she is a friend. I appreciate that.

June 28, 2012

By Ellen2

My mother has been at The Terrace for seven years and really liked it and didn't wanna move but she needed more care. Mom has friends there and she's 89 so moving at that age is quite a traumatic experience. She has developed a sentimental value to the place and the people there. Well they had another organization in there that was doing similar type work and we tried them and it didn't work out, but in the meantime, since they were bought by Brookdale, with the new people it's working out much better. I very, very much prefer the Brookdale management. It's very clean facility. It's meticulously maintained. They do an excellent job there! I like the staff; they're very good. Mom has one of the smaller bedrooms but it's perfect for what she needs. She's very much comfortable. I've done quite a bit of homework in terms of looking into other options. Of course everybody would say that they want it to be less but that's not really realistic when you consider the cost to provide things. I would recommend it and my mother has actually recommended the place to people and now some people have moved there. About seven years ago when she moved in there, she wasn't very happy or eager about it at that point. But over the years, she's really benefited from a lot of activities and choices of things she can participate in in there. And even if she was just living with me, I couldn't provide her with all of that.

Photos of Brookdale Memorial City

Features of Brookdale Memorial City

• Fee Structure Extra: We Offer A Month To Month Rental

• Companion Suites: We Do Not Offer Companion Suites

• Dining Extra: Bistro Monday Through Sunday 9am To 8pm.

• Coffee Shop
  • General Store
  • Pool
  • Features Extra: Fitness Room/Gym

• Pharma

About Brookdale Memorial City

Brookdale Memorial City provides a full range of choices for today's seniors. Choosing a senior living community represents a lifestyle choice and we understand that our residents are choosing much more than a comfortable living environment to call home. Our Brookdale community delivers Inspired Independent Living, with the promise of Exceptional Experiences Everyday. In choosing this community, our residents have made a conscious lifestyle decision designed to deliver enhanced opportunities for pursuing health and life fulfillment through the exceptional services, amenities and opportunities we offer.

Our Optimum Life® and Celebrations programs provide an all-encompassing way of life that touches our residents, their families and associates alike. Optimum Life® is a journey of self-discovery including services, features and benefits that allow each resident to pursue their peak level of health, wholeness and fulfillment while balancing six key dimensions of personal wellness: emotional, intellectual, physical, social, spiritual and purposeful. As part of Optimum Life® we encourage our residents to celebrate life each day. Inspired dining, with fresh meals prepared by chefs trained in our own Culinary Arts Institute, and vibrant lifestyle activities come together in our Celebrations program. These activities fill the monthly calendar with themed experiences, special events and group activities highlighting different cultures and cuisines in a common venue of camaraderie.

EAT American Bistro Designed to reinvent the dining experience, EAT American Bistro offers all day dining in an inviting social lounge atmosphere.

Map of Brookdale Memorial City