The Fairfax | Independent Living

9140 Belvoir Woods Parkway, Fort Belvoir, VA, 22060

Reviews of The Fairfax | Independent Living

Also A Senior March 16, 2014

My father was one of the charter members of the resident's Retirement Foundation. In 2002 he and my mother became residents after it became clear that his dementia was more the my mother could deal with. Initially, as long as Marriott Corporation was operating the facility, we were extremely pleased. However, after Sunrise took over and exercised tight financial restrictions, it became clear that the residents were enjoying poorer meals and fewer amenities. Nevertheless, the facility and its services remained above average compared to many other retirements communities. Over the past couple years, unfortunately, the residents have seen significant annual increases in thier monthly payments for maintaining their living quarters and significant degradation in the quality and variety of meals. It appears that they no longer have a competent chef to head the kitchen and now rely on an assortment of semitrained cooks. Meats are often over-cooked and dry, vegetables are either poorly prepared (They don't know to trim the ends of sugar snaps and show peas, for example) or under/over-done. Menu description s of dishes being servied are frequently attractive lies. Seasoning is a mystery to the cooks; there never is much. Dining service in the fairly elegant main dining room used to provide top restaurant-quality staff. Now residents must be careful that a server doesn't run them down in their rush to get back to the kitchen for a chat or smoke break. Courtesy and attentiveness is a thing of the past; although a tiny minority of staff are charming, watchful and extremely helpful. Still the range of residential accommodations is quite wide--from small one-bedrooms, to large suites with multiple rooms, and cottages. Virtually all have full kitchens, appropriate hardware for residents who have various physical challenges, and access to cable, internet and telephone (for additional fees). When a resident becomes unable to live indepently, The Fairfax does offer assisted living quarters and nursing care facilites for those who are ill and need more attention. I cannot address their quality because my mother is still living independently despite having very poor vision. The grounds are expansive and include a small fishing lake and a formal pond with fountains, gardens, a small putting green, and garden plots for resident with green thumbs. The staff, aside from some of the dining servers, are a very pleasant group who try to offer residents the services they need. The concierge is central to steering residents and visitors in the right direction. To be fair I have to give the residential facilities and services a 4-star rating, but the dining service is a serious detractor, deserving barely 2 stars. The Fairfax (i.e., Sunrise) management has apparently not learned that having a qualified chef running the kitchen and an experienced maitre di' managing the dining room will save money and improve resident satisfaction.

We're sorry to hear your dining experience has been a negative one. We take your comments very seriously and would like more information if possible. Please contact information@sunriseseniorliving.com with your contact info and we’ll be in touch. Thanks, The Sunrise Team

Housatonic January 31, 2014

I have several issues that I need to resolve and have been unable to get any answers or call backs from any voice mails my brother resided there and has been moved to Massachusetts to be closer to family. I have questions that need to be addressed for my knowledge and the Facility he has moved to. I am frustrated and upset by the disrespect of not paying any attention to my needs. I would not at this time give a good review of this place SueBonak

We're sorry to hear you had this negative experience and we would like to get in touch with you immediately. Please contact information@sunriseseniorliving.com with your contact information. Thanks, The Sunrise Team

043 November 20, 2012

In general, I highly rate this facility. The staff appear to be taking good care of my father and speak highly of him. He looks health and happy. My biggest problem so far is the lack of accountability for his posessions. Right now I'm dealing with his missing $2000 wheelchair and before that his hearing aids disappeared. Depending on how my inquiry into the missing wheelchair proceeds tomorrow, I may revise my opinion downward. There is also an inability of the staff to use email effectively and they can't seem to get the ocassional form to me when needed. The is the community at which he and his late wife wanted to finish their lives, so I am trying to keep an open mind with regard to their efficiency.

susankeel June 30, 2012

The Fairfax is a generally nice place; it's divided into assisted living apartments, which are small but allow residents to have their own furniture, and a more intensive care section, where the atmosphere is more like a hospital but patients are still allowed small pieces of furniture, like bureaus and chairs, and keepsakes. The facilities are always lavishly decorated for the holidays, and residents in both sections often decorate their doors with wreaths or mats. A large cage in the lobby held songbirds the last time I was there, and during Christmas, there's a tree, menorah, and other holiday material on every floor. There are ample parking spots in the lot, and the facility provides a bus to take residents shopping and to church. There is at least one resident cat, and a very nice restaurant on-site. The place doesn't smell like antiseptic or like being in a hospital, although when moving to the more intensive care wing, people are asked to use some hand sanitizer to prevent transmission of disease. There appear to be ample programs to engage residents; although, being that the facility is located on a busy road with bad traffic, they may be the only activities available to older people who are less confident in their driving.

From The Fairfax

The Fairfax is an independent living and assisted living community in Fort Belvoir, Virginia, offering both Alzheimer's care and skilled nursing. The Fairfax opened in 1989 for the non-profit Army Retirement Residence Foundation-Potomac (ARRF-P). It offers an ideal lifestyle to retired officers of the U.S. Uniformed Services, CIA, FBI, Foreign Service, and others with a close career relationship to the military. The most recent addition to The Fairfax is the newly renovated Health Care Center, which provides assisted living, memory care assisted living, and skilled nursing and rehabilitation services.

The beautiful 60-acre campus is located at the edge of Fort Belvoir, Virginia, offering golf courses, commissary, PXs, Officers Clubs, and more. On the Fairfax grounds, residents enjoy walking trails, a seven-acre stocked lake, tennis courts, a putting green, and driving cage. The independent living options offered include 347 apartments ranging from one to three bedrooms and thirty-five cottages.

The Fairfax offers a comprehensive life care environment, including the Pathways to Fitness and Wellness program, which offers aquatics, aerobics, weight training, and other classes designed to meet the needs of residents interested in improving and maintaining their fitness level.

Well-behaved pets are welcome, too!

Features of The Fairfax