The Independence

350 Portico Way, Charlottesville, VA, 22911

Reviews of The Independence

Sonja V. April 03, 2014

"Welcome Home." This tag line is really true here at THE INDEPENDENCE. The atmosphere here is very comfortable and inviting. The facilities are excellent with a staff that have the attitude of “What can we do to help.” There are plenty of activities if you are so inclined. You can be as active as you want to be - your choice. The residents, too, are friendly and are good neighbors. I am thankful that I found THE INDEPENDENCE.

June and James Dixon March 25, 2014

We heartily endorse The Independence. We can't imagine a better, more helpful and kind management and support team. They have reacted positively to our needs and have provided meaningful, pleasant opportunities for interaction between residents here.

Activities and facilities to promote health, education, and fun have been made available and are made use of by residents. A bus is available for appointments by individuals and for pleasure trips for small groups. There are so many wonderful destinations in Charlottesville that we are able to take advantage of.

While food service and medical/nursing care is not part of the "package," assistance can be given to anyone who finds that they are in need of services. The Independence subscribes to the "aging in place" philosophy.

Ruffie, our golden doodle, asks me to mention that she is so happy that she has been welcomed here. She quickly became used to coming and going by elevator or staircase. She loved the view out her window and is trying to learn not to greet the residents quite so joyously as she comes and goes! She rates this a 5-star hotel. As do we! Come visit...

Angelo R. January 13, 2014

Since moving into The Independence three weeks ago, I have found the experience better than I expected. The staff, both efficient and responsive, are caring and supportive of my needs and concerns. Each staff member is friendly, approachable, and ready and able to assist with even the smallest of requests.

The amenities and activities that are provided are on par with a "resort class" experience. There are many outings both personal and with a group in which you can participate in or curl up alone with a good book in the library.

Anyone making the choice to live here will be well pleased to have made their home at The Independence.

ThelmaP January 09, 2014

Initially, it was a difficult transition to sell my home, simply because of all the things I cherished about my home, from family memories, milestones, events, and celebrations; my beautiful gardens; and all my wonderful neighbors. However, the maintenance of 2 acres of lawn, leaves, snow, and the ongoing upkeep of major equipment and appliances became a burden.

However, once I saw The Independence and met so many energetic and friendly seniors like me who had a similar transition, the decision to transition become increasingly easier.

I love my extended new family at The Independence. I have lived here for over a year and it was the best decision I could've made. Ultimately, I didn't give up my independence when I sold my home. I embarked on a new journey to enjoy my life and do all the things I want to do instead of because I have to do them.

About The Independence

The Independence is an independent living community in Charlottesville, VA designed for seniors, normally 55+, who are able to care for themselves and wish to live independently. Contact The Independence for more details on housing, services, and rates.

Location of The Independence