Senior Star at Las Colinas Village

500 Paisano Street Northeast, Albuquerque, NM, 87123

Reviews of Senior Star at Las Colinas Village

Karen91863350 August 30, 2014

My mother and uncle are both in Las Colinas (Senior Star at Las Colinas Village). My uncle is just right next door to my mom. The employees there are very caring. They are all trained for what is right for memory loss and how to help people who are suffering from some short-term memory loss. It is an independent living, but there is home health care on-site. It isn't our favorite though, because what they did is, they take an existing apartment complex and turn it into independent living. We looked at a newer facility and they have more handicap bathrooms and things like that, but they are much smaller than where they are now. The apartment here is much spacious and they actually work with us and actually replace the bathtub with a handicap walk-in shower before they moved in, and they didn't charge us for that. They have a lot of activities. They have a lot of different exercise programs. They also have exercise equipment for seniors who are motorized, so people can have that full range of motion. The activities director is really great about having all kinds of field trips for the folks.

The grounds are very park-like. There is a lot of green space around the apartment complex. It is not my favorite area at Albuquerque, but it is very easily accessible because it is very close to the on and off ramp of the freeway, so it is easy to go to and from.

Lois12 August 26, 2014

Senior Star has a lovely physical environment. It had two large enclosed gardens which were really beautiful. They have a few apartments in the upper floor and it’s three stories tall. The inside is kept up beautifully. Everything is fine and the upper floors have several apartments that have balconies outside. I had lunch there and everybody would introduce themselves using their first name, even the dishwasher. They allow pets there and every lady seems to have one. They also have somebody who can walk the pets if you cannot do it.

Teresa33 August 14, 2014

We moved my mother into Senior Star in June. It seems to be perfectly fine. They kept in close contact while she was making her decision, and they made it as easy as possible when the moving time came.

It's an apartment. It was much larger than any other places we looked. The mealtimes are extended so that she can go when she wants. She said the food is not wonderful but OK. It's getting to be an older building, and it does need some updating, which they have started. They've put in new elevator interiors.

Caring78531250 February 28, 2014

Senior Star at Las Colinas Village looked and felt like a hospital. It also smelled moldy. Their activity director was a little bit of a busybody. She gossiped about everybody. The staff there was mean to me. The maintenance person just snapped at me. I tried to talk to him but he just yelled all over me again. After that incident, the director said to me that if I said anything negative about the place, she would kick me out right on the spot. It freaked me out. I actually almost had an anxiety attack when she said that. I was there for only five months. I got the heck out of there after she made that threat.

At Las Colinas Village, people were leaving. They had like 20% vacancy and they were just taking whoever they could get. They were only independent living but half of their residents there should be in a more of Alzheimer's type unit. They shouldn't take people in there that really need different care. They had a lot of problems with them. They had alcoholics, they had people that wander off, etc. They were desperate so that they were just taking whoever needs a place. However, with regards to food, they were actually better than the other facility. It was pretty good and you can get as much as you want.

Caring68231550 January 31, 2014

We visited Las Colinas Village in Albuquerque and the facility is too crowded with all the people and the furniture that they have. I don’t like it as far as space in concerned because I am in a little wheelchair and it would be difficult for me to maneuver in such crowded places. Their staff is very friendly and they are wonderful. They had me for lunch and their food is extremely good.

ecs August 05, 2011

My family had placed my maternal grandmother in Las Colinas Village after her husband was lost to Alzheimers. The reason for placing her in this particular facility was due to is location, which is within easy access to the freeway, as my family members make frequent visits that last over the weekend. What impressed me about Las Colinas Village was the attention of the staff. When my mother and I would make trips we would arrive late at night and someone would always be able to greet us and let us inside. The staff was also commendable in their ability to remember many of the residence that surprised me on every trip and helped in creating a very friendly atmosphere. But the best feature about Las Colinas was the calender of activities that the home provides to residents. In the case of my grandmother, this helped her in the death of her husband. My only gripe with the facility is that each of the apartments has an intercom system installed to notify all residents about events and the dishes served for the day. However the speaker works at a low volume and my grandmother is quite hard of hearing. Yet she is still able to keep up due to the event calenders the home delivers.

From Senior Star at Las Colinas Village

Las Colinas Village is an independent living and retirement living community in Albuquerque, New Mexico. At Las Colinas Village, we share a common goal with every family who walks through our doors: We want the best for our seniors. Decades of experience have shown us giving "our all", frankly, isn't enough. Seniors at Las Colinas Village are experiencing the possibilities, reaching their potential and living each day to its fullest. We see it as our responsibility (and great privilege) to provide the opportunities and inspiration for our residents to embrace senior living and thrive in their new lifestyle at Las Colinas Village.

Last Colinas Village is a Senior Star Living community. Through the years, we've identified the facets of healthy living that contribute to our residents' total well-being. They include environmental, nutritional, physical, spiritual, mental, and emotional factors. We combine them to keep the twinkle in the eyes of our residents, and we call it our LAUGH philosophy: Living And Understanding Greater Health. It works in many ways through our Senior Star Living communities, like Las Colinas Village. Taking a brain fitness class may contribute to more than mental well-being by building new social relationships and prolonging independence. Breaking bread together in our dining room may nourish more than the body when you consider the lively conversation and positive atmosphere. Our attractive and bright individual residences can provide more than a safe environment when embellished with cherished belongings, personal mementos, or even the companionship of a small pet. Laughter is the best medicine. It all adds up to happier seniors in a healthier community.

Like you, we want the very best for our seniors. Our LAUGH philosophy helps us achieve this together at Las Colinas Village.

Features of Senior Star at Las Colinas Village

• Shared space where residents can host parties

• Meals delivered to residents' rooms
  • Some residents have in-room full kitchens (including oven, etc.)

• Arts, woodworking, craft