Home Instead Senior Care - Venice, FL

Contact Now

Reviews of Home Instead Senior Care - Venice, FL

Dart66 January 26, 2014

November 2013 I hired HomeInstead to care for my 92 y.o. father with end stage Alzheimer's. The aide came for 3 visits and initially mother and I were impressed with her interaction with him - even getting him to start bathing which had previously been an impossible task. Unfortunately, after just 3 visits I terminated HomeInstead. Why? Well one day un-be-knownst to mother and I (2 months earlier mother had had a stroke and was in taking a nap; I was working around the house) the aide dressed dad up, situated him out on the lanai, and took pictures of him! She never asked our permission to do so (we would have said 'no!' as dad was a very private, modest man who would not have wanted his photo taken at this worst time of his life). I only found out about the pictures at the end of that day - quite by accident - when the manager of the Venice location came to the house. We were sitting at the dining room table and the aide was huddled next to him showing him pictures on her camera and chatting away about them...I overheard something about my dad and some other patients. No one included me in this conversation - it was as if I wasn't even sitting there - so I asked point blank: "Excuse me...what pictures?" She showed me two pictures she'd taken of dad earlier that day. I was dumbfounded and it took a while to sink in that these were pictures of my poor, sick, father she'd taken without asking mom or I nor mentioning anything about it. They left and I discussed what happened with mother who became extremely upset, especially about not having been asked permission to photograph dad. (When told about this later, the head of the agency told me that mom was not around so that's why she hadn't been asked...ok....what about asking me?) Mom and I both surmised that if I'd not overheard the conversation between aide and manager that we'd never have known about the pictures. Anyway, the manager came by next day on an unrelated matter and at that time I informed him that because of the inappropriate picture taking, HomeInstead's services were no longer needed. Also, that taking pictures like that was totally inappropriate and WRONG, not to mention a violation of HIPAA. I also told him that besides that - in my opinion - if someone was capable of taking such blatant liberties in a client's home, what other liberties was she capable of taking in the future, OR had already taken in my parent's home that we were unaware of. He rolled his eyes and clucked his tongue at me in a shaming manner. I told him I wanted the pictures AND that HomeInstead was NOT authorized to use them in ANY way - advertising, on the internet, company functions, etc., and that those pictures had better NOT show up anywhere now or in the future. The following day, the head of the Venice office called me and sent an apology email telling me they would be reviewing their picture taking policy (there should BE no policy because there should BE no pictures) and giving some lame excuse that they take pictures to 'send to clients families who live out of town....like in Chicago'. (I'll leave the readers to draw their own conclusions about the validity of that explanation.) Anyway, he emailed me the one picture and insisted the other picture - although right next to the first in the camera - was missing, gone, no longer in the camera and he didn't know what happened to it. My fear is that apparently our aide had won a company sponsored cruise for being top caregiver - and I'm wondering if she was putting together a slide show featuring some of her clients to show at her award ceremony (or whatever) during that cruise which would have included dad's photo. All I can say is I want everyone to know about this and the unprofessional and dishonest approach which characterizes how HomeInstead does business. Also? God help HomeInstead if I happen to stumble across any pictures of my dad that they've decided to use ANYWHERE - believe me, there WILL be Hell to pay. Lastly, dad's battle with Alzheimer's ended on November 14 when he quietly passed away.

First, let me express my deepest sympathies in the loss of your father. Losing a loved one to Alzheimer's is incredibly painful. Our CAREGiver was honored to be a part of his care team and was able to accomplish great things in her short time there. In this instance, the CAREGiver had shown the photos to our client's wife, and she enjoyed them. That was the sole purpose of the photos – to provide them to the family. We take our clients' privacy very seriously - we do not use photos or even their full name without written consent. I am truly sorry for any misunderstanding.

Blessin August 14, 2013

expensive

Eugene1 March 01, 2013

The caregiver from Home Instead is a nice, pleasant, and efficient woman.

From Home Instead Senior Care - Venice, FL

Home Instead Senior Care - Caregiver Skills

Features of Home Instead Senior Care - Venice, FL

Agency Type

• Full-service agency. (We directly employ the caregivers we work with.)

• Companion care

Screening

• We interview every team member in person
  • We check references
  • We check driving records
  • We confirm legal U.S. residency
  • We require drug screenings

Training

• Staff members receive ongoing/continuing training

Training Areas

• Family Communication
  • Transition Issues
  • Memory Care

Payment details

• We handle payroll, benefits, and taxes for our caregivers

Bonded/insured

• Our business is bonded and insured

Business Address