Reviews of Senior Alternatives | In-Home Care
Bill W. August 23, 2013
I am a past client of this provider
I used Senior Alternatives when I moved back to the East Bay to spend more time with my aging father. While I was still living in New Jersey, I realized that I needed someone located close to Piedmont to assist with both the big picture as well as day to day home care issues. At the time, my father had early signs of Alzheimer’s as well as prior medical conditions.
I had been told to look for a firm with both care management as well as home care, and looked at a number of companies.
I chose Senior Alternatives based on the extensive experience and Masters’ level degrees of their care managers. They also pointed out their integration of care management and home care by pairing social workers with the home care being provided by the home care aides.
I could not have been happier. My father got better medical care since they advocated and monitored everything, and they were able to adjust his medications and get him on some special ones for Alzheimer’s, which improved his quality of life, and reduced his dementia symptoms, too. Plus, they had excellent, sweet home care aides, and as my father’s Alzheimer’s got worse they were well-trained to be able to manage him.
Toward the end, the care managers helped us deal with end of life decisions, enabling us to spend our remaining time focusing on him and not stressing out.
From Senior Alternatives
At Senior Alternatives we employ experienced, compassionate Caregivers, and monitor them with our Masters-level Care Management staff. We understand that selecting the right Caregiver for a family member is the first step and most important aspect of a successful, holistic care plan.
What we offer:
- Ongoing training and supervision of Caregivers by Masters-level Care Managers.
- Attention given to quality of life issues through socialization, activity planning and companionship.
- Assistance with meal preparation, housekeeping, hygiene care, exercise and transportation to appointments.
- Assistance with medication management, with special attention to managing the symptoms of dementia and mental illness.
- Top-of-the-industry compensation for Caregivers, ensuring the ability to attract top Caregivers with a high retention level.
- Higher level care available by Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) Caregivers for severe physical, behavioral, cognitive or mental conditions.
- All Caregivers are required to have extensive, related work experience and must pass a comprehensive screening process including: a skills test; professional reference and criminal record checks; as well as DMV and insurance reports.
- Caregivers are bonded employees, covered by a professional liability policy. We pay all employee tax expenses and worker's compensation.
Finding the Right Care Giver:
As a private care management organization, we have the clinical expertise and knowledge necessary to match the right Caregiver to meet our client's short and long term needs. In addition, we are adept at matching the skills and personalities of our Caregivers so that they are compatible with our client's individual physical and emotional needs.
We realize that the Caregiver is a pivotal member of any care plan team "” a good Caregiver can mean the difference between a person being able to remain safely in their home, or having to move to an institutional setting.
Since we have a social work centered approach, we are able to define and develop the most cost-effective caregiving schedule, as well as determine whether homecare is economically feasible. When home care is not a viable financial option, we are able to recommend alternatives.
We look forward to providing personalized, professional service that is tailored to meet your family's needs.
Senior Alternatives Caregiver Skills Include:
Ethics, Validation Therapy, Patient Transfers, Stress Management, Grief Issues, Family Communication, Transition Issues, Communicating with Dementia Patients
Caregivers employed, bonded and insured: Yes
Caregivers available 24 hours a day: Yes
Get Cost Information
Get full access to reviews, cost information, and amenities