Top nearby Hospice Services:

Reviews of Community Medical Center Van Dyke Hospice

Posted by Londa A. July 31, 2014
1.0

Our family had a horrible experience with Van Dyke Hospice from Community Medical Center in Toms River. The RN who did the initial intake in my mother's home the day Mom was discharged from CMC proceeded to answer her cell phone and have a full conversation with her 15 year old son who was on his way to work when he got a flat tire on his bicycle. She proceeded to sit in the room with my sister, my dying mother and me and carried on a full conversatiion with her son - where to leave the bike, to call the restaurant where he worked....She did not give us any helpful information about what to expect or what to do with the 'Comfort Kit' that would be delivered later that day. Upon leaving she said her day off was Saturday, but if we needed her to call the main number. On Saturday it took the main number staff over one hour to call us back and help us over the phone to administer Mom's morphine. No one came that day and on Sunday a new RN came and guess what? Mom's history had not been entered into the system because Friday's RN did not complete it. We finally got an adequate RN on Monday who did her job. None of them seemed to remember that although they have dealt with many deaths, this was the first and only time our beloved mother was dying. The RNs were the most distant, non supportive people imaginable. Clearly they need updates on their training. Mom died on Wed. and the third RN remained in the room dealing with another case and working on her laptop until I asked her to move to another room. It was AWFUL, heart breaking and one of the most frustrating experiences ever. Although the aides that came on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday only, were lovely we never knew what time they were expected. The one breath of fresh air and kindness in the hospice program was Nicole, the social worker and to her we are grateful. I pray that someone at Van Dyke listen to the information I called and gave them and does something so that no family ever has to go through what we did.

Posted by on time July 10, 2014
1.0

I Was not given a coice of hospices upon leaving Community Hospital. Aides repeatedly did not show up.

Posted by Kat-1 August 11, 2009

My loved one stayed here

We can never say enough good about Van Dyke Hospice in Toms River at Community Medical Center...from the moment our dying Mom arrived there, she was treated with the utmost dignity, loving care, and compassion. The staff made her passing comfortable and as sweet as it could possibly be. We ourselves were also given much care, information, and help, as we went through such a difficult time. Our experience there was in May, 2009. If we had to do it all over again, we would feel completely confident in using this place again. May God bless them all there for the care and work they do there...in our personal situation, it was nothing less than a blessing from God.

Posted by Janine Lange September 15, 2008

My loved one stayed here

My entire family was amazed by the quality of care and compassion thaht was offered to my mother (the patient) and our entire family and extended support system. From walking us through the tour, to setting up transportation to get Mom there and explaining everything that was being done. The morning we received the call we were dreading...when they asked us to come quickly as her signs were changing, the staff explained what to expect and kept Mom as comfortable as possible. They also made sure the family memebers were okay. It was wonderful that they attended to her needs and we could simply enjoy our last days with her. My heart goes out to all the caregivers there. They helped us through an extrememly difficult situation. Without hesitation, I strongly recommend Van Dyke Hospice. They have even contacted us since Mom's passing to see how everyone is!

Other Options Nearby