Fairhaven | Continuing Care Retirement Community

7200 Third Ave, Sykesville, MD, 21784

Reviews of Fairhaven | Continuing Care Retirement Community

Knowledgeable Consumer July 22, 2016

Buyer Beware! Fairhaven is not the quality independent living retirement community (CCRC) Marketing may lead you to think it is. Look beyond superficial renovations and Marketing hype. Main structure, cottages and older apartments have many structural issues, such as sewer back-ups, water leaks, unreliable HVAC and hot water, etc. Frequent patches are applied when something breaks but there is little substantive preventative maintenance or needed underlying structural updates. Note also that laundry facilities for older apartments are inadequate, are used by residents, family members and Fairhaven staff from all over the community, including the Health Center; and these machines are never sanitized unless a resident does so. Bottom line: Before you sign any contract, ask questions about basic living conditions. Marketing is not going to tell you about chronic issues and complaints from existing residents. Talk privately to residents in the type of unit want and who have lived at Fairhaven for more than a couple years -- not just the residents you are introduced to by Marketing. Once you sign and turn over the entrance fee, you may well be stuck because any refund may depend on when your unit is bought by a "new" resident. There are former residents/family that have been waiting 3 years or more for their refund.

Peter35 September 08, 2015

They were all very helpful at Fairhaven. They have independent living villas, independent living cottages, and apartments. They had several different tours that they took us on to show us around, and it was very helpful to know their cost, etc.

Caring110624150 June 30, 2015

Fairhaven was absolutely outstanding. A lady there explained everything. We toured, and she explained all the financing options. We visited each one of the apartments. I could not have asked for a more thorough and more delightful tour. She was absolutely outstanding. We saw everything -- the woodshop, the pool, the art class, and the library.

caringmm719 July 25, 2013

Fairhaven was a very nice community. We have visited this place for my friend. I like this one because it was more country, not too much in the city. However, like all the other facilities we visited, it also has the same services and features. We didn't visit any facility that we find unacceptable.

grandmas boy July 06, 2012

in my opinion it was a on average facility, it was clean for the most part i was really amazed by the types of activities. They had an art class which i really like for my grandma the even had lecture groups i feel that is good that the people get to converse with each other. My grandma is a big poker person that's her favorite activity to do an the also have movie night which very fun as she told me. the swimming pool was very clean to my surprise to me it was a perfect match for my grandma she could get her nails and toes done if she wanted to. On the fitness side the also supply a yoga class and muscle toning. but the beds were not all that soft and comfortable an the rooms did smell a little funny but i expected that over all ill give it a 4. its still a nice place an the nurses were nice too, thats always a major part in facilities like this like i said overall a solid 4

constant May 09, 2012

We enjoy the busy community life at Fairhaven. But appreciate everything so much more this past week when my husband who has dementia suddenly developed breathing problems. After a phone call to the Wellness Center, the security staff arrived and helped us into the ambulance.. The Fairhaven social worker arrived at the hospital the next day to help me with paperwork, and the clergy arrived that night. Phone calls from several residents set up arrangements in our cottage for when we would return, which turned out to be six long days. Security met us when we returned to help us get inside and housekeeping arrived the next day to clean our cottage. Security then took us in a car to my husband's medical appointments in the Wellness Center. All the staff was aware of his situation and handled it quietly. Meals were delivered to us each day. It was reassuring to know that the "grape vine" here provided many of our friends and acquaintances with information. Fun foods and greeting cards followed, along with more offers of help. COMMUNITY COUNTS!

Karen Fowler September 06, 2008

I recently visited a friend that is living in an apartment at Fairhaven. I've visited many retirement communities, nursing homes and assisted living facilities but I have to say that I was impressed with Fairhaven. My friend loves living there. She tells me she receives excellent care in every way. She gave us a tour. It's like walking into a very warm, hospitable community. The main building houses beautiful artwork, the food in the dining area was very good. My friend told me that she took water aerobics every morning and that there is either a class or activity going on all the time. The feeling is very comfortable, friendly and professional at the same time. My husband and I have an aunt that may be looking at assisted living communities soon. I received a packet from Fairhaven that I can't wait to show her.

About Fairhaven

Fairhaven is a continuing care retirement community in Sykesville, MD that offers housing options for currently healthy people who want to secure their healthcare plan throughout the aging process. Contact Fairhaven for more details on CCRC housing and rates.

Location of Fairhaven