Oakwood Common Continuing Care Retirement Community

Overview of Ratings

2.9

June 18, 2014

By Reneebl

My father who was In here for about two months. He had wounds on his feet that required daily bandage care. The nurses here failed to properly do this, resulting him to acquire sepsis, causing his death. He was only 57. PLEASE, I highly advise you not to recommend this place to any loved one.

March 19, 2014

By Kathryn384

My Mother was in here a while back. The conditions were appalling. The staff was mean and rude. My whole family was extremely disappointed with the manifold inadequacies of Oakwood Commons dirty facility and unqualified and abusive staff. If you Love your human, DO NOT PUT THEM AT OAKWOOD COMMONS.

January 30, 2014

My mother passed away but she was at Oakwood Commons for three years. It was close to where I lived and worked. There were not a lot of activities for seniors. You could request what you wanted to eat, the food was alright. Generally, the staff was helpful but the problem was there was a lot of turnover. Some of the staff was very caring. It was an average-sized room. It wasn't too small, it wasn't too big. You could bring in whatever you wanted.

April 18, 2013

My friend settled at Oakwood Common. Everything was great at the facility, although it was a little expensive. The staff gave plenty of attention especially to the residents who had memory problems, physical problems or illnesses. They were very good with their job. Everyday they had activities for about 4-5 hours. There were bingo and exercise classes. They went to restaurants or a choir came in to perform. It was worth it.

February 15, 2013

By VirginiaB

Although this place gives the illusion of being nice I would never recommend it to anyone. Over the holidays the staff was never seen. The nurses try but there aren't enough of them and the aides just don't care. They never seemed to go above the minimum. Very disappointing place.

June 30, 2012

By wheeltennant

Very, very clean. Different meals each night, lots of activities throughout the week. The only thing I found was a con was the small nature of the rooms themselves, although pricier rooms afforded more space.

June 29, 2012

By A1RWZDWCG7IHKK

I was very surprised with how big Oakwood Commons facilities were. They had different buildings and different floors for people of all medical backgrounds. There were some areas for people that were married, some for people that had a lot of memory problems, and areas for those who needed extra medical attention. The staff seemed nice enough, but not many were overly friendly or welcoming to me even though it was obvious I was not used to that kind of environment. The facilities were very clean, and they had cleaning men and women consistently coming in and out of rooms while I was visiting. The building themselves were very organized and there were lots of areas for the patients to socialize and interact and it seemed like many staff knew their patients in their area by name. Overall it was a pretty positive volunteering experience, and I learned a lot about what goes on in assisted living homes.

December 06, 2011

By Social Worker # 1

I think Oakwood Common is not a very good choice for someone who needs skilled care because their staff appeared to be over worked they also appears to be some what short staffed need more available staff to tend to their skilled care residents in their nursing home. I would recommend Oakwood Common Independent Retirement Community and assisted living for someone that is looking for placement for a friend or family member. Oakwood Common is a beautifully landscaped community and neighborhood that is very safe and secured. The surrounding neighborhoods are also beautifully landscaped and very well structured and maintained as well. They treat heir residents very nice. Their residents in their retirement community are primarily independent and need less care. Independent Living, assisted living and rehabilitation and skilled nursing facility is the services that they offer their residents an array of social events, activities and recreational activities as well. Their independent living residents seem to be socializing and interacting with one another and they also appeared to be happy and enjoying themselves. I would rank their independent living and assisted living facility a five stars rating for their excellence and expertise.

November 18, 2011

By tiredcaregiver

The facility looks as if it is well cared for in the independent living area and assisted living. Costs and pricing is on the high end. Attention appears to be given to the common areas, dining areas and those that will make "first impressions". The reputation (from speaking with a variety of residents and their families) is within the range of somewhat satisfied. Dementia and Alzheimer's care rates lower satisfaction from families of residents. High resident to aide ratio, difficulty getting medication changes, nurses to react to concerns, even more difficult to get doctor consultation. End of life care appears to leave much to be desired, patients calling for help, long periods of time between needing/asking for assistance and reaction from frequently distracted and seemingly uncaring staff. If you can't be there, don't leave a family member alone, is what I have been told. Overall, there are better facilities for your loved ones within this price range.

Let Us Search For You

Save Money

Care

Save Stress

About Oakwood Common

Refund Plan: 100% less refurbishing fee. Access to Assisted Living and Nursing Care on Fee-For-Service basis.

Map of Oakwood Common